THE KRAN

Total loss of compression, or Spark

271 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Oh, but wait, according to you, I am incapable of making good decisions. I need you to make my decisons for me, and be reponsible for it.

By the way, I don't ever ride this bike. I just rev it to the limiter in my driveway.

Where did I say you make bad decisions?  Nothing wrong with taking a bike to the dealer.  I merely pointed out that a leak down test (like I suggested) would have caught a head gasket.

Keeping it in the driveway is a good call.  It won't leave you stranded anywhere.  I assume you're capable of pushing it back into the garage by yourself?

1 person likes this

Thee Hold of the Rings.... 

Yeah, I 've watched most of this sequel. 

But I like Beta-minator better... 

Great read, its to bad it had to be 9 pages thanks to all the crap running outta peoples mouths!

5 hours ago, jmd426 said:

Great read, its to bad it had to be 9 pages thanks to all the crap running outta peoples mouths!

Some people find what they post so very smart, clever, and so very fastinating, yet are unable to fathom others not doing the same, or that opinions are not solutions.

That, and not reading the thread from the beginning makes for lots of fun.

43 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Some people find what they post so very smart, clever, and so very fastinating, yet are unable to fathom others not doing the same, or that opinions are not solutions.

That, and not reading the thread from the beginning makes for lots of fun.

I would have thought you'd have taken this all more lightly, considering you were the mastermind behind the greatest KTM trolling thread of all time.  574 pages...

So what's the plan?  Just doing the head gasket or piston / rings too?

Edited by redrider144

1. Defective or damaged (from the previous/other dealer service I imagine) engine side Throttle body boot sucked in dirt and defaced the all the valves (visible dirt in the intake tract)

2. Leak down was 30 % !  

3. Air filter passing dirt into the throttle body (even though the mechanic said it looked like it was doing it's job), or, it ran improperly seated for 100+ miles. Also caused valve surface damage : visible dirt in the TB intake, but NO DIRT visible behind the air cleaner/in the air box boot. Not sure what is going on here....but another possible bad TB boot on the air box side is most likely.  Mechanic said he saw evidence of very rough handling of both the air boots, as if someone tried to take out the TB without lifting up the subframe. 

4. Execessive air after the TB caused hot running, so the ECU was retarding the ignition and  over-richening the mixture, causing massive amounts of carbon build up, everywhere. 

5. Bore shows no evidence of cross-hatch in the usual wear places, but unusual for 150 hours

6. Piston and rings past the service limit

7. No 'damage' to the bore/piston. Honing will bring it back

So, full top end, full head job, new TB boots, and an oil change!   Probably about $1200-1500.   

....oh, AND  the  head gasket was bad.....burnt through....

Edited by THE KRAN

28 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

1. Defective or damaged (from the previous/other dealer service I imagine) engine side Throttle body boot sucked in dirt and defaced the all the valves (visible dirt in the intake tract)

2. Leak down was 30 % !  

3. Air filter passing dirt into the throttle body (even though the mechanic said it looked like it was doing it's job), or, it ran improperly seated for 100+ miles. Also caused valve surface damage : visible dirt in the TB intake, but NO DIRT visible behind the air cleaner/in the air box boot. Not sure what is going on here....but another possible bad TB boot on the air box side is most likely.  Mechanic said he saw evidence of very rough handling of both the air boots, as if someone tried to take out the TB without lifting up the subframe. 

4. Execessive air after the TB caused hot running, so the ECU was retarding the ignition and  over-richening the mixture, causing massive amounts of carbon build up, everywhere. 

5. Bore shows no evidence of cross-hatch in the usual wear places, but unusual for 150 hours

6. Piston and rings past the service limit

7. No 'damage' to the bore/piston. Honing will bring it back

So, full top end, full head job, new TB boots, and an oil change!   Probably about $1200-1500.   

....oh, AND  the  head gasket was bad.....burnt through....

Damn, sorry to hear that Kran.

Damn, as bad as it is, at least it's not ruined. The bright side is you get a fresh top end. Who's doing the job? 

Sorry to hear about your valve train damage KRAN.  What a bummer. 

The dealer I bought my 390 from has 6000 miles on his '15 430. He's ridden the Rip to Cabo 4 times. On one of those trips he did not get his air filter seated properly and rode an entire Rip day with it that way.  He ended up with similar damage from dirt getting through intake and causing valve train damage.  

Not the same situation obviously,  but that dirt can sure wreak havoc on thumpers! 

Yes, at least it is not catastrophic.   

I would be happy (relatively speaking here) to get my bike out of jail for something like that for $1,200-$1,500, knowing that the motor will be like brand new afterwards.  

I'm glad you got the final results and shared them with us.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Yes, at least it is not catastrophic.   

I would be happy (relatively speaking here) to get my bike out of jail for something like that for $1,200-$1,500, knowing that the motor will be like brand new afterwards.  

I'm glad you got the final results and shared them with us.  

The mechanic feels that the bike has had a leak and some other problem from day one, as the wear on the top end was excessive for 150 hours; I told him I thought the bike was WAY underpowered for a 430, and I was on the pipe with that bike 100% in the desert, unable to keep up with stock WR's....  Hell, a TE449 Husky was faster......

....so we shall see...

1 hour ago, KeyKeeper said:

Was there coolant getting into the oil?  Excessive crank case pressure?

No coolant/oil mix

Massive excessive crankcase pressue. I was losing 1/3 of all my coolant per ride, and about 50cc of oil per ride.

36 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

No coolant/oil mix

Massive excessive crankcase pressue. I was losing 1/3 of all my coolant per ride, and about 50cc of oil per ride.

Do you think the coolant loss was due to the blown head gasket?  Do you know roughly how many hours the bike had when that started?

5 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

The mechanic feels that the bike has had a leak and some other problem from day one, as the wear on the top end was excessive for 150 hours; I told him I thought the bike was WAY underpowered for a 430, and I was on the pipe with that bike 100% in the desert, unable to keep up with stock WR's....  Hell, a TE449 Husky was faster......

....so we shall see...

Can't you get it fixed under warranty Bill? Dave at Get Dirty installed upgraded auto decompression kit and adjusted my valves in my 2012 498. All 100% warranty. What is the warranty these days? 

My warranty work was almost 2 1/2 years and 150 hours after purchase. Beta was always good about approving bikes for warranty work. Has anything changed over the last few years?

11 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Can't you get it fixed under warranty Bill? Dave at Get Dirty installed upgraded auto decompression kit and adjusted my valves in my 2012 498. All 100% warranty. What is the warranty these days? 

My warranty work was almost 2 1/2 years and 150 hours after purchase. Beta was always good about approving bikes for warranty work. Has anything changed over the last few years?

I'm not going to do that.

2 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

I'm not going to do that.

Hmm? I don't quite understand? Do you have a personal mechanic that you are trusting to fix this? Or have you decided to fix it yourself? I've been following this thread and I assumed you were utilizing one of the Beta dealers.

Another suggestion is to tear the motor down and just get the parts warranty'd. Over the years that's what I have done. I guess it boils down to what kind of relationship you have with the dealer. 

6 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Hmm? I don't quite understand? Do you have a personal mechanic that you are trusting to fix this? Or have you decided to fix it yourself? I've been following this thread and I assumed you were utilizing one of the Beta dealers.

Another suggestion is to tear the motor down and just get the parts warranty'd. Over the years that's what I have done. I guess it boils down to what kind of relationship you have with the dealer. 

Chris, the Beta has a one year warranty. Pushing that warranty to a second year is assuming some level of entitlement that I don't agree with. 

4 people like this