Now that I am rebuilding my 2001 DRZ400S due to a crash.. I want to be sure that when it happens again the bike will not be completely totaled.  I cannot find any axle sliders for it because it does not have hollow axles. The only thing I have been able to find are engine guards that mount to the frame so I will for sure be getting those. So I just have questions on how to get axle sliders mounted on my bike, and I also will probably be getting a handbrake sometime in the near future. Would I be better off just swapping to an SM swingarm? 

I wish there was a document listing all the spec differences between the SM and S models. 

Any help would be great.

Best regards.IMG_7033.JPG.031e9a48e0f1469a9fc4b24287b2f5a8.JPG

Edited by Supermotofool
Tags

Could drill out the axles.  SM swing arm needs an SM caliper arm, keep the S swing arm it's less hassel.

I'd bet you can just get the SM axle and put it right in the S swingarm . The diameter is the same otherwise swapping wheels wouldn't be possible . Length difference may be all there is but something tells me that wouldn't be an issue either. A washer added to bother ends may work if the SM axle is longer (I'm guessing it is if they're different).

Or swap to a SM swingarm and get the nicer looking adjuster. 

Or drill & tap the S axle

Edited by jjktmrider

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sabthumper
       I saw this somewhere but can't remember where. 
      So if I have the shock with "no load" on it.
      Is the minimum length from top of spring to bottom ( for safe use) 9.75 inches ? 
      If I set the sag and its shorter than that, I'm guessing I need a heavier spring than stock.
      I'm at 10.25 inches now but I may have to tighten it up a hair. So I'm wanting to be sure. 
      Thanks 
    • By Wade Beall
      I’m looking for stock rear suspension link. I bought my 2007 xr650l with a lowering link on it and I want to go back to stock height. 
    • By Caycee Justus
      I had a gsx-s750 and got rid of it and picked up a 2015 drz400sm this week. It's used and the last guy put knobbies on it. I'm switching back to Michelin power 2ct. stock tire size is 140/70. The current tires are 150/70. I was looking at running 160/60. Anyone know if this would be a problem? I'm just getting into the supermoto life so any other general suggestions would be great. Thanks! 
    • By Doc_d

The Smage brothers are other worldly.  Video does them no justice.  Phil came out to one of our trials competitions, it was a treat getting to see him ride.