DR350SE Clutch Adjustment

My 1999 DR350SEX has no free play in the clutch cable.  The adjuster at the lever is screwed all the way in and the cable mount down on the engine is adjusted all the way in towards the clutch actuation lever.  The only way that I can see to get some free play is to remove the clutch actuation lever from its shaft on the engine and rotate it toward the hand control by one spline.  I have no idea why it is set up as it is.  Am I missing something?

16 minutes ago, GlennRay said:

The only way that I can see to get some free play is to remove the clutch actuation lever from its shaft on the engine and rotate it toward the hand control by one spline.

Probably try this first

That seemed to loosen it up enough.  I won't know for sure until I ride it tomorrow.  It should be better however, as I didn't like how far out the clutch engagement was.

• Like 1

Got the bike out and rode it last weekend.  The clutch adjustment I made moved the engagement point back in toward the handlebar a bit, which is what I wanted and the clutch was still dis-engaging fully with the lever pulled in fully.   I still have a bit of free play in the cable to fine tune the engagement point once I get my left hand grip back.