f7 F7 Restore--New Member

You would think they would all fit - but then there are 8 fuel tanks built for the F7 - all have different part numbers and there are 7 different colors  :crazy:

Doing a bit of searching and these ones i found on ebay have the same tab welded on the back of the tank as yours - all the others i found have welding tabs the same as the new one you just bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Kawasaki-F7175-F7-175-Gas-Tank-Fuel/282485812852?hash=item41c5776e74:g:tzYAAOSw9OFZH229&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-used-F6-F7-Enduro-1971-Yellow-Fuel-Tank-51001-063-53/391915927410?hash=item5b40027772:g:inwAAOSwGwlZ92mR&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Kawasaki-F7175-F7-175-Gas-Tank-Fuel/391789613229?hash=item5b387b10ad:g:v7YAAOSwDiBZH2xs&vxp=mtr

Do you think the new tank might have been squashed a bit and why its tight to put on the frame ?

Did couple of those fF engines few years ago cool bike. Cranks in both used tranny in other one . those automatic oilers seem to rarely go bad. Think of snowmobiles and watercraft.  All driven off crank honestly I've never seen one go bad. Have unhook Alot for people tho. Some engines have kits to make premix. Insert for pump and some plugs all they are, But cool bike with rotary valve

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 7:26 AM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

You would think they would all fit - but then there are 8 fuel tanks built for the F7 - all have different part numbers and there are 7 different colors  :crazy:

Doing a bit of searching and these ones i found on ebay have the same tab welded on the back of the tank as yours - all the others i found have welding tabs the same as the new one you just bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Kawasaki-F7175-F7-175-Gas-Tank-Fuel/282485812852?hash=item41c5776e74:g:tzYAAOSw9OFZH229&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-used-F6-F7-Enduro-1971-Yellow-Fuel-Tank-51001-063-53/391915927410?hash=item5b40027772:g:inwAAOSwGwlZ92mR&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Kawasaki-F7175-F7-175-Gas-Tank-Fuel/391789613229?hash=item5b387b10ad:g:v7YAAOSwDiBZH2xs&vxp=mtr

Do you think the new tank might have been squashed a bit and why its tight to put on the frame ?

That is possible.  I'll play around a bit more today since it is warmer in the garage.  I'm also doing a trial with Evaporust in my original tank to see if it can be saved.  This summer I used The Works and nails and it still looked like this throughout the tank.

Gm8QKHZ.jpg

3 hours ago, Stosho said:

I'm also doing a trial with Evaporust in my original tank to see if it can be saved.  This summer I used The Works and nails and it still looked like this throughout the tank.

Yeah thats pretty fudged - i would look at another tank.

Persistence.  I'll need to do another treatment with nails to try and get some of the final stubborn areas but it still may be salvageable.  No leaks.

JY0Hpvl.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stosho said:

Persistence.  I'll need to do another treatment with nails to try and get some of the final stubborn areas but it still may be salvageable.  No leaks.

JY0Hpvl.jpg

I've heard of guys using bb's but what nails are you using?  Small roofers? Just curious.  I used that two part tank liner stuff on old threewheeler tank worked great

Edited by Motox367

I have been using what I have on hand.  Originally I used some decking nails with The Works.  That got me to the point of the first picture posted.  I am now using medium sized roofing nails.  I have also heard BBs work well.

• Like 1

Any advice to try and remove these pinstripes while saving the original paint underneath.
QiYsygN.jpg

On 12/16/2017 at 8:40 PM, Stosho said:

JY0Hpvl.jpg

I have had good results in the past with distilled white vinegar. I usually keep a few gallons on hand. Ive used BB's, Electrolysis, Aluminum Oxide sand blasting media, but none eliminated rust better than vinegar. Just fill the tank as much as possible and leave overnight. or Dip it in a 5 gallon bucket. Might have to flip it a couple times.  (electrolysis works good on square gas tanks, but not traditional motorcycle tanks). I'm not a restoration guru, so maybe a pro has a different opinion about the vinegar. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just a bit of rust along the cone that straddles the frame and on the upper inside of the tank.  If I can fill it completely with evaporust I think I can save the old tank.

U7iUC5Z.jpg

Evaporust followed by additional sessions with nails and a 48 hour soak in vinegar concluded by one last Evaporust soak saved this old tank.  It was a battle of wills.

vop1wta.jpg

I'm enjoying your resto job. Keep plugging away.

• Like 1

Since I was able to save the tank I now have a fuel cap gasket (NOS) on its way.  I purchased a petcock from ebay that was more intact and had that cleaned up.  With those steps and some new fuel lines I should have a fully operational fuel system up and running.  I now need to find some cables.  I'm hoping they are not all a different part number as well.