Dirt Bike Test's Long Term Test of '17 300 RR RE

Now that's a real test, good article!

Good read.

60 hrs. is still a baby! Mine will have 400hrs by the time I get to it a year from now.  I should document it.

15 minutes ago, GP said:

60 hrs. is still a baby! Mine will have 400hrs by the time I get to it a year from now.  I should document it.

Would be great to see it.

8 minutes ago, GP said:

60 hrs. is still a baby! Mine will have 400hrs by the time I get to it a year from now.  I should document it.

 

FWIW, here is a 180+ hr piston

2nd 300RR piston. Approx 75 hrs. 

2013 5 year old bike. 

You are going to have to ride the wheels off her this year! 

Plus the 250cc hrs.  I'm estimating also as the hour meter stopped working @ 280.  I ride from my house so its easy to get out, a lot more hours like that than racing.

Soon I will be pulling the motor for some starter inspection, maybe brushes (still works perfect), and install of the '18 shifter parts.  That I could document this winter.  The 250 top end was new last year and still tight with no compression loss.   I also have the original clutch, but I do use it a bit more now in 250 trim.

10 minutes ago, GP said:

Plus the 250cc hrs.  I'm estimating also as the hour meter stopped working @ 280.  I ride from my house so its easy to get out, a lot more hours like that than racing.

Soon I will be pulling the motor for some starter inspection, maybe brushes (still works perfect), and install of the '18 shifter parts.  That I could document this winter.  The 250 top end was new last year and still tight with no compression loss.   I also have the original clutch, but I do use it a bit more now in 250 trim.

 Cool. Nicely done! 

My truck will be close to 300K too but I'm not pulling that down!  I'm do for some newer hardware soon.

1 hour ago, GP said:

60 hrs. is still a baby! Mine will have 400hrs by the time I get to it a year from now.  I should document it.

Not discounting your hours by any means, but this bike was ridden and raced by Expert/pro riders for most of those hours. I can say from personal experience it really makes a big difference. 

Just now, ccullins said:

Not discounting your hours by any means, but this bike was ridden and raced by Expert/pro riders for most of those hours. I can say from personal experience it really makes a big difference. 

I'm just joking around.  Plus, if its not actually yours, you may take more liberties riding it.  Point is the same though, the average rider can expect long service hours from the bike.

10 hours ago, ccullins said:

Not discounting your hours by any means, but this bike was ridden and raced by Expert/pro riders for most of those hours. I can say from personal experience it really makes a big difference. 

You can't have much mechanical sympathy while being a top level racer.

Found this video of Trevor Hunter from the youth team of DBT at the 24 hours of Glen Helen. Whoever said the 300 doesn't have power? That thing just rips and he's never getting out pulled by the 450 and ends up passing. That's a pretty impressive bike and rider.

 

It's actually amazing that the 300 went over 60 hard race hours on the same top end!! Those babies are pretty much pinned during the 24hr races. 

Yep, this was from the 24hr last year at the 23hr mark on our 250. With the riders being swapped out and fresh there is no going easy on or saving the bike.  

 

20 hours ago, ccullins said:

Not discounting your hours by any means, but this bike was ridden and raced by Expert/pro riders for most of those hours. I can say from personal experience it really makes a big difference. 

Not really.  I'm and expert and ride with other experts and semi-pro's.  60 hours is nothing IMO.  If something took a crap on the bike with those hours I would hope it's an anomaly.  Any 2s should last that easily.

8 hours ago, brysonrs said:

Found this video of Trevor Hunter from the youth team of DBT at the 24 hours of Glen Helen. Whoever said the 300 doesn't have power? That thing just rips and he's never getting out pulled by the 450 and ends up passing. That's a pretty impressive bike and rider.

 

Anybody else think this looks boring as hell?

1 hour ago, Sycamore said:

Anybody else think this looks boring as hell?

I have zero desire to ride offroad at night at speed. Actually less than that.

1 hour ago, Sycamore said:

Anybody else think this looks boring as hell?

Maybe that course, but riding at night is friggin awesome... 

4 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I have zero desire to ride offroad at night at speed. Actually less than that.

You haven't lived my friend... 

10 minutes ago, Monk said:

Maybe that course, but riding at night is friggin awesome... 

You haven't lived my friend... 

Yeah Riding at night is kind of surreal.  And deciphering terrain is challenging no doubt. Plus video is deceiving as hell so probably not as bad as it appears.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now