Hudson Charlton

When does your bike get put away?

51 posts in this topic

When do you wash your bike for the last time of the year? Maybe change your fluids, grease all your bearings, oil and shine it all up?

Are you the type that just parks your bike filthy and hopes for the best next year?

I just washed my 2 stroke yesterday... I figured it wasn't getting nicer out. Time to overhaul it and see what I broke this year.

Never, service is constant.

You never know when you'll have a ride opportunity. So after each day, it is a clean up, and at regular intervals, services as needed. The bike could sit for a few weeks or get ridden every day. Part of the magic of day to day life. Many, many years ago, (in the 1970's) I had a cafe racer. It was taken off the road for a few weeks every winter (late Jan. / early Feb.)for a freshen up.

2 people like this

I ride all year whether it be in the snow, indoors, or down south. Maintenance is way more beneficial if you do it perpetually. 

Edited by BoxcarWilly
7 people like this

I think it was Sunday, end of 2017 season. Now to wash and wrench. Carb kits came today!

1 person likes this

Never, service is constant.

You never know when you'll have a ride opportunity. So after each day, it is a clean up, and at regular intervals, services as needed. The bike could sit for a few weeks or get ridden every day. Part of the magic of day to day life. Many, many years ago, (in the 1970's) I had a cafe racer. It was taken off the road for a few weeks every winter (late Jan. / early Feb.)for a freshen up.

Yeah, Streety is apart for an idler servo lube, air filter, 3 new plugs, leakdown and a valve check then a bit of dyno time, it's a bit rich right now. Synced throttle bodies and checked the clutch, still perfect at 18k!

1 person likes this

It sits out side my living room window 365 so inspires me ride all year. IF we actually have snow once or twice a month and I'm PRAYING to my GODS that we have no snow on the trails with winter, then every weekend cus IMO some of the best riding in the PNW :)

20170115_112543_Richtone(HDR).thumb.jpg.72a2248338817806fb30e60e32756fd6.jpg

4 people like this

25 minutes ago, dittohead said:

Deep snow and fire season are the only times we can’t ride in my area.

Yep - Last summer was brutal. I rode for 5 days in Kamloops 2 days before the fires started in early July in the interior. Then only twice in Squamish until Mid September cus the risk was just way too high. I've been riding most weekends since but I'm still out of shape from not riding most of the summer.

The snow in my pic is about as much as I want to ride in but it was sunny :)

1 person likes this

Never, ride year round. Locations may vary.

Whats up with the bike ban during 'fire season' in BC? Since when is there much risks from bikes? Its all camp fires, lighting and smokers down here.

Never, ride all winter long. Gear up and it’s not that bad. Grip heaters do make it much better though.

1 person likes this

Mine gets ridden less in the winter, mostly because i'm riding the snowmobile a lot more. :dunno

Still commute on it regularly.  Heated grips, studded tires.