250cc or 450cc for single track in the GP

If only for technical single track then a 250 would be a good choice, but for an all around bike I prefer a 450. You don’t have to shift as often, can be in the wrong gear, lug it, etc. Just easier to ride IMO. The motors last longer typically also since you don’t rev them as high.

• Like 2

My 03 kx 250 with all the off-road goodies is a hoot in the pnw single track and it was third of the cost of a new bike. Just did a 65 mile loop the other day. Grunt when you need it, snap when you want it and happy cruising in 2nd all day of that’s what you want.
IMG_4604.jpg

• Like 4

I ride both 250 and 450 up there. While I have always been a two stroke guy if I had to only have one bike the smokers would be sold. While the 450 is heavier and kind of beasty, launch over a three foot step up with a little clutch work in 3rd gear and when you touch down you are still in the right gear, just easier to ride. Both bikes come down to preference though. Each work well. If you are a novice I recommend the two stroke.

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Hey im a honda xr250 & XR400 owner ready for a new wr or crf-X just curious what people like best for western WA and Oregon singletrack? I plan to explore the wonderful GP trails (alone due to lazy ass friends) I love my xr400R but the suspension is pretty weak sauce for my 200LB beer gut.

Thanks, Joe

You really need to ride the modern bikes to see how they work for you. The 250F has enough power but is a high rpm engine, pretty much a polar opposite of your XRs. The Honda is one of the few/only e start 250Fs with flywheel weights available, which would probably make them better bikes for mountain singletrack. A 450 has more power than you need and may be a little more fatiguing to ride on mountain switchbacks.

250 2 stroke is hands down the best woods weapon.  Or a 300 2 stroke.  They are 10x easier to start after a crash than a 450 is.  they're more fun to ride than the 450.  Less tiring than the 450.  Lighter weight than the 450.  Cheaper maintenance than the 450.  Quieter than the 450.  AND FAR BETTER RESALE VALUE THAN THE 450.  

Doesn't matter which 250 2 stroke you get as long as its early 90s or newer.  They are all better choices than a 450. 

• Like 3

Over the years I have owned a variety of bikes, including 4Ts, 2Ts, MX, Enduro, and Trials.  IMO most of the 2000 plus models are very good. I have a CRF250X and dyno charts show it has more HP than a XR400, but not as much bottom end, and it is a lot lighter.  I've also owned XR250Rs and my X is lighter and way better.  For tight stuff I have done some mods, most of which like suspension would probably be needed for any bike. I added heaviest flywheel and that really helped. Did some of the Honda CCC mods, and added a JD Jetting kit. The final thing that really helped the bottom end for ST was a slight muffler mod. 
The bike now has nice smooth throttle response on the bottom that feels a lot like a XR250R.  The bike is geared up a bit because it is plated but trails are still 1-3rd gear.

I had a crf250x for my son and agree it is a really good bike with the "free mods". Suspension is really good and engine is nice and lively without getting out of control. Handling Is good as well. The only issue I had was the bike was freakishly heavy and carried that weight high, once it starts tipping over I would just let it fall because it was going down anyways, bike was even lowered 1.4 inches but still top heavy. I liked the bike though.

great info, i did take a long look at the yz250x but my rideing is pretty extreme- to the point i need to drop off fuel the weekend before at the halfway point in order to complete my loop as my xr's fuel range is to skimpy. Anyone taking there 250x 450x or wr out this weekend in southern wa? id hand them a 6 pack for a quick spin around the parking lot. Im a old 42 yr old expert rider, never had a trail scare me yet. The issue is one day i'll be in crazy tight stuff the next weekend blasting fire roads hitting the rev limiter- 

Edited by JRM

One more thing that i have figured out. The new 250 4 stokes are just as heavy as your XR400. I have an AJP PR5 250 and it`s pushing 280lbs. My ajp is similar to the WR and the CRFX. The 400 has a lot more power and weighs the same as these new 250 4st`s. Only thing i got you don`t and that is a button that makes ease of starting. On trail rides with a lot of down hill section and switch backs, the bikes wears me out with the weight. Personally i am thinking about selling it and buying a 200 or 250 2 stroke plus have a 400 to 500 i can duel sport. Then again i have also thought about the Beta Xtrainer. No bike is perfect for everything and sometimes having 2 is what works the best. 

Edited by Heb
  • Like 1

I have a te300 and fe450. Husky 2016 both

the 450 can go anywhere. But I’m 6’1 220 and strong and can ride all day. I’m too stupid to quit sometimes.  

I like having both bikes. If the ride is short and treacherous then I’m taking the 300. 

My 450 can go anywhere I take the 300. But the 300 can’t do all that my 450 does.  

If you physically can handle a 450 for an 8 hr 100 mile day, get the 450 by yz Ktm or husky