Hi, I am 13 years old and I am trying to decide what bike I want to get (two stroke of course). I'm 5'2 - 5'3 tall, and I weigh 125lbs.  I'm a beginner at this, meaning this is my first bike but, I have ridden a dirt bike a few times. My choices are the yz85, cr85, kx85, kx100, sx85, and the sx105 (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, or Ktm).

I am not interested in the rm because I just don't like it. It seems like a cheap crappy (sorry if I offended you) and it doesn't seem to have the speed and power that I want ( at least that's how people describe it to be). So please don't include it in.

I am going to buy a used bike on Craigslist or somewhere because this is my first year and I'm not the richest of families (in case that helps.)

Right now, I'm confused about which bike to get because they're all good brands. I want to be fast on the track (obviously) and I want to be aggressive. Which bike will fit that role? Can some also explain what top end and bottom end power is and what it helps with when you are listing a bike? Can you include the pro and con of it?

I'm also not sure if an 85 is the right size for me, as I want to grow into a bike and have it last me. Maybe I should get a 125, if is so, which one (again, no Suzuki rm)? I'm going to a dealership to sit on some and try some (not too sure about trying some) Saturday but I just want thoughts about this.

I don't know ANYONE with a dirt bike so the internet is my only friend here so I am really counting on you. My mom doesn't know anything about dirt bikes or the sport so I have to really look at this stuff myself. If you have any tips, please leave some as they will be helpful for me or any other onlookers in the same situation as I am in.

Edited by MX Rookie

I think you should formulate your own opinion on RM's.  Personally my RM 125 is my favorite of all my dirt bikes. But different strokes for different folks. Definitely stick with a 125 I would say, a little heavier than a 85, but when you get comfortable on the bike (which will be after a dozen times riding or so), the power band is just enough to not kill you, but make you shart 🙂

Okay, thx. What other bikes do you have, and how is the rm better than them? And, is the 125 really the right size for me?  

• Like 1

Since it's your first bike, I would start small and work you way up eventually. No reason to get a 125 at this point especially because you're a bit short for one which will make the learning process harder. For 85s/100s/105s, try to get a bike that has a powervalve. Powervalves boost low-end power so the bike isn't a lightswitch (will put you on your back way faster). Suzukis, Kawasakis, and KTMs all have them. With that in mind, go sit on a few different models and see which one you like the best. If you're able to take one for a spin then even better.

Make sure you budget for safety gear.  At a minimum get a helmet, goggles, gloves and motorcycle boots.  Helmets are regulated and must conform to safety standards.  So don't get caught up thinking you have to buy a $500 helmet to be safe.  Just get an entry level model from a known name brand (Fox, Fly, etc).  Boots will give you sticker shock.  Just start off with a good entry level boot.  The more expensive boots are worth the extra money but when you are it's getting started an entry level boot will serve you well.  Watch online retailers like www.rockymountainatvmc.com for close out deals.  They'll often have gear that's from a season or 2 ago that is heavily discounted and who cares if you have this year's graphics on your helmet?

Have you been to a track?  I'd suggest going to watch some races and talk to people racing in the class you will be racing in.  It's a good chance to learn how everything works and get some more information about the bikes and gear.  See if your track offers any kind of instruction. 

Doc

• Like 1

Ok, so no 125, and get a bike with a power valve. That leaves kawi and ktm (I don't like rm). So which bike is better an 85/100/105 ktm/kawi, or an 85/100/105 Yamaha/Honda. ou said power valve but, I want high-end power as well, and the yz and cr seem to offer that.

And equipment, what would be the cheapest but still be safe?

I'm also going to a dealership to sit on a few bikes tomorrow so Ill be able to try a few bikes out tomorrow.

I'd think if you are set on racing MX, then going to your local track to watch and figure out what class you would be riding in. Then talk to the other racers and get their opinions on bikes. But even bigger than that is have your parents talk to their parents and get a realistic feel for what racing MX really costs before you buy anything. I am sort of in the same place as you on the other end. I'd love to race vintage mx with the bikes I grew up with. But I don't have that kind of money, so I am a woods rider. I have a ball on my bike but do it on the cheap!

Ok, thx, but, I still want to know what bike is best. Thanks for the advice though, I'll put it to use.

1 hour ago, MX Rookie said:

Ok, thx, but, I still want to know what bike is best. Thanks for the advice though, I'll put it to use.

Since you are buying a used bike, best condition is the most important.

For a beginner, the slight performance of a particular model over another won't matter.

4 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Since you are buying a used bike, best condition is the most important.

For a beginner, the slight performance of a particular model over another won't matter.

So bike doesn't matter?

And, what do you mean by best condition and how should I determine if a bike is in good condition?

I used to have a blast on my cr85 when I was 13. And I rode my cr85 all the way up to age 17. Sometimes smaller bikes are more fun because you can really control the bike better and whip it around more. Granted the top speed was lacking for me. I now own a 2018 yz125 and wish it was shorter so I could rip like I did on my cr85. (I’m a short dude. 5’6)

Find a clean and well maintained bike. Also, if you are worried about feeling small on it later down the road I would suggest getting a CR85rb. This means the wheels are bigger than the standard model. I’m not sure if other companies did this or not but Honda for sure did. I posted a pic of my old cr85 from a couple years ago.

1E60BAEB-126D-4CD5-AB70-7DAA76B75B53.jpeg

IMO the KX100 will be the perfect fit. And it's a little cheaper to maintain than the KTM (also a great bike). KX100's are a little more plentiful, and easy to get parts for. Many of them cross over to the 85.

And while the power valve does indeed help the transition when it hits the pipe, don't be fooled into thinking it won't put you on your butt. The 100/105's are actually more radical than the 125's, due to the weight etc. but the 125's are around 40 lbs heavier. Take it easy, learn the bike. Will you be riding woods, or track exclusively?

Do some research here to determine how to purchase a used 2 stroke. Find out how to check bearings, top end, etc. and find out what questions to ask. And don't get desperate, or you'll end up buying a turd that will make you hate the sport before you get a chance to love it. I won't clutter up this thread with those things to check, since it has been stated SO MANY TIMES. As the old adage goes: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Remember, don't get desperate! Take your time...

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Bron-Yr-Aur could not have said it better. Be patient. Look at several bikes. Your small and a 85 would work perfect for you. Cr, Yz, Kx it doesn't really matter as long as you can get parts. The sport is expensive, be prepared to spend $200-$300 on the bike you buy even if it's "race ready". Even if it runs, things have been overlooked. That's a low estimate but I don't want to discourage you. You will feel incredible amounts of frustration at times and will walk away with a sense of satisfaction when you solve a problem. Keep us updated and don't buy the first bike you see. Take pics of each bike as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred29 said:

Bron-Yr-Aur could not have said it better. Be patient. Look at several bikes. Your small and a 85 would work perfect for you. Cr, Yz, Kx it doesn't really matter as long as you can get parts. The sport is expensive, be prepared to spend $200-$300 on the bike you buy even if it's "race ready". Even if it runs, things have been overlooked. That's a low estimate but I don't want to discourage you. You will feel incredible amounts of frustration at times and will walk away with a sense of satisfaction when you solve a problem. Keep us updated and don't buy the first bike you see. Take pics of each bike as well.

Ok, thank you.

I saw a nice big wheel cr 85 and kx 85 and I think I'm interested in both. There's also the kx 100 too that I saw that I'm interested in.