Sign in to follow this  

Petcock Aftermarket warning (fuel line route)

Just a heads-up alert about all those manually operated petcocks on eBay and the web.  Look for the only 1 or 2 out there with the outlet tube or nipple vertical downward and below it. All other 100 models on ebay have the outlet tube pointing right at the choke pull lever. This forces a tight turn which on some fuel hoses will shut the hose and reduce fuel by 80%. Also when removing and installing the tank the hose must first be removed, or its a struggle to get it past the choke pull knob. The knob could be damaged or rod bent. Attaching the hose on the petcock after the tank is in place is tough because of the sharp downward angle needed. Here are a couple of images. I tried 2 different hoses. The light color hose was a high pressure air-compressor hose, it went flat. The black hose is a 1/4" fuel injection hose and it did better. I ended up routing it in a circle forward then back to the carb.  Im going to buy a new petcock with the downward tube next.

IMG_20171207_121531.jpg

IMG_20171207_121540.jpg

IMG_20171208_101849.jpg

IMG_20171208_101904.jpg

I just got one off eBay tonight in the mail. Dissatisfied. Won't clear the tank when I spin the valve to reserve. Hose location is silly. looking for another solution and open to suggestions if you come across one.

To clear the tank did you install the spacer off the original one? 

I purchased 2 new ones on eBay tonight and will install and report on them in a week. I tried telling the eBay seller about the issues but it was useless. They advertise these for the z400 but it's terrible. One of the ones I found is for Yamaha. 

I just got one off eBay tonight in the mail. Dissatisfied. Won't clear the tank when I spin the valve to reserve. Hose location is silly. looking for another solution and open to suggestions if you come across one.

I just use the stock petcock and add a simple shutoff valve in the line.

To clear the tank did you install the spacer off the original one? 
I purchased 2 new ones on eBay tonight and will install and report on them in a week. I tried telling the eBay seller about the issues but it was useless. They advertise these for the z400 but it's terrible. One of the ones I found is for Yamaha. 

I didn't, seemed to be one piece. Ill get a bit more physical with it tomorrow. That would solve the reserve valve issue. The one I bought didn't come with a gasket however.

I've been trying to warn of this situation for about 2 years . I have a downward outlet version and have found several others that work , like some of a DT175 (look for the long stem). https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XYamaha+dt+petcock.TRS0&_nkw=Yamaha+dt+petcock&_sacat=0 ,

there are a few others that work as well . This issue only applies to the stock steel tank .

ORRRrrrrr , the best and never worry again ,  http://www.pingelonline.com/pc_combined_results.asp?search_cat=searchexact~pcpcm.parent_pc_id~908609CF24474440B570A1548C432397&pc_id=908609CF24474440B570A1548C432397

Edited by jjktmrider

I ran the same setup (steel tank, stock CV carb, raptor petcock) for a while. If you get a longer piece of fuel tube and if you route it with a loop going over the top of the front carb boot and then under the bottom of the boot and then directly into the carb nipple this works best. This routing does not add much fuel line, takes all aggressive turns/kinks out of fuel tube, keeps the line just clear of the choke knob, and keeps the fuel line in a constant direction of downward flow.

This is the original unit I pulled off the bike. Tapped along the edge to find a separation. Doesn't seem to have one. all one piece. Is this possibly not oem?20171209_123834.jpg

You can turn the petcock backwards. Makes it harder to turn the lever though. People do this on mx bikes all the time.

That in-line valve is a good idea. But Id rather fix the root problem. Turning the petcock backwards is another good idea... probably great anti-theft device too. The thief will think the owner turned off the engine via GPS/Cellular system. Hard to see that valve. On the original petcock I was also afraid to break it so the ebay seller of the crappy (design) new one told me its just a spacer. I grabbed some pliers on it and it let go. And this is a 2001 bike, well stuck. Then I had to make a gasket to seal between the tank and the spacer. I cut the gasket out of a sheet of tire/innertube patch material but any rubber sheet will work. Use a new cutter blade or razor. No one sells that gasket on the web.

Saw the idea of looping the fuel line around the carb inlet.. That would work but whats the boil temp of gasoline? Its going to get real hot if rubbing into the back of the cyl. head. I made a loop up towards the tank then back down under the petcock. I dont even like that and will be testing 2 new petcocks next week.

With respect to the looped line. I ran several thousands of miles with that setup in hot climates and fuel boiling was not an issue (having the line length cut appropriately will keep it very clear of engine/heat).

Ultimately money no object ohiodrz has the best solution.

IMG_20170428_064753453.jpg.2f230bbbdf06d5bb9f2ff7a410ee7863.jpg

Best setup imo, but those petcocks tend to run $70+

You guys hate the stock vacuum petcock that much? I'm still running an 11 year old stocker on my 2006, and never had a problem. I know if I had a manual one, my engine would have flooded several times by now.

I wont go back to the vacume operated petcock. This bike Im working on (reviving) sat unused for months or a year or 3. No way to know that OE petcock was not closing right. A simple on/off valve wont have an issue. I just spent the afternoon on and off getting a crankcase full of gasoline cleaned out and I dont want to do it again ever. Its running great now.