The DRZ400E Vs. KLX351 dilemma

Hey guys, new to the forum, but been lurking a while. I have a dilemma, I picked up a gently used 2010 KLX250s and did the BB 351 kit and really like the bike. It is my first bike and I have it set up as a light weight ADV bike. I do everything from Colorado singletrack to camping trips with it. I recently picked up a super cheap, gently used, DRZ400E 2001 model and have been adventurizing it on the cheap. I have to get rid of  one bike and keep one to do it all.

My issue is this:

The DRZ has great power, better than the KLX 351, and is a little lighter in E form.

The KLX is much better geared and just chugs along in 1st gear on tight trails which the DRZ won't do as well when geared to do 55mph at cruise.

Which bike do you guys think would be more reliable long term? I want to do the Colorado BDR next year and put about 4K miles on the bike a year. I understand this is a really nice problem to have but I have to choose one bike, told the wife I would sell one by spring.

Thanks guys

Hey guys, new to the forum, but been lurking a while. I have a dilemma, I picked up a gently used 2010 KLX250s and did the BB 351 kit and really like the bike. It is my first bike and I have it set up as a light weight ADV bike. I do everything from Colorado singletrack to camping trips with it. I recently picked up a super cheap, gently used, DRZ400E 2001 model and have been adventurizing it on the cheap. I have to get rid of  one bike and keep one to do it all.

My issue is this:
The DRZ has great power, better than the KLX 351, and is a little lighter in E form.
The KLX is much better geared and just chugs along in 1st gear on tight trails which the DRZ won't do as well when geared to do 55mph at cruise.
Which bike do you guys think would be more reliable long term? I want to do the Colorado BDR next year and put about 4K miles on the bike a year. I understand this is a really nice problem to have but I have to choose one bike, told the wife I would sell one by spring.
Thanks guys

Under promise and over deliver. Or never promise and never deliver. Why did you tell the wife you'd sell a bike? Every conversation is war, play to win, they do.
  • Like 4

Op, is your question just what bike is more reliable?

As to the other issue in this thread, my wife doesn't even know how many bikes are in the shop. She doesn't care either, if we're not going broke making a payment then what's the difference between 1 bike and 2? Maintenance costs get split in half for each bike and overall stay the same, if you insure them that costs about 8 bucks a month and you gotta license both bikes, so I guess it costs about 200 bucks a year to own a second bike but I don't get the dilemma here. Is her car parked on the street cause your bike is in her spot?

Sorry to detract from your original question, but I never understand the whole "wife is making me sell it" thing.

• Like 6

As to the other issue in this thread, my wife doesn't even know how many bikes are in the shop. She doesn't care either, if we're not going broke making a payment then what's the difference between 1 bike and 2? Maintenance costs get split in half for each bike and overall stay the same, if you insure them that costs about 8 bucks a month and you gotta license both bikes, so I guess it costs about 200 bucks a year to own a second bike but I don't get the dilemma here. Is her car parked on the street cause your bike is in her spot?

Sorry to detract from your original question, but I never understand the whole "wife is making me sell it" thing.

I actually email every guy I see posting that in their CL ad, advising them as it's obvious they never had a proper male role model.
  • Like 3

OP didn't say that. What was posted was "told the wife I'd sell one".
  • Like 1

I had a tagged DRZ E as my main badazz dual sport bike.  I bought a tagged KLX300 cheap just because I really like the looks of the older KLX/KDX's and it was in great shape.  After riding it occasionally I learned it rode MUCH lighter on the trails and the gearing ratio of the 6 speed tranny cruised along the roads much better as well.  It was hard to sell the DRZ, but I did and set the KLX up for me.  It is an awesome bike and I still have it!

• Like 3

OP didn't say that. What was posted was "told the wife I'd sell one".

You are correct, op didn't say those exact words. I am referring to a copious amount of threads with a similar theme from the past.

My point is, he didn't say "I'd like to sell one before spring".

• Like 1

I had a tagged DRZ E as my main badazz dual sport bike.  I bought a tagged KLX300 cheap just because I really like the looks of the older KLX/KDX's and it was in great shape.  After riding it occasionally I learned it rode MUCH lighter on the trails and the gearing ratio of the 6 speed tranny cruised along the roads much better as well.  It was hard to sell the DRZ, but I did and set the KLX up for me.  It is an awesome bike and I still have it!

A good, solid, relevant answer, free of judgement and ridicule. Your interweb privileges need to be revoked!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Because mountains said:

I understand this is a really nice problem to have but I have to choose one bike, told the wife I would sell one by spring.

Remove an arbitrary date and commit to selling one (if necessary?) when it makes sense. Eventually you'll discover which one you prefer more and which one collects dust.

• Like 2

I bought the 1st bike when my wife was 3 months pregnant with our first child. Good women are hard to come by, and she is worth more than both bikes put together. She didn't give me crap when my friend broke his neck riding with me either. She didn't even give me crap when I got T boned by a pickup in town last year! I may be a noob but I bounce well. Don't worry guys, I am not a battered husband :) I randomly bought the DRZ to flip and just liked it. Both bikes fill the same bill, it doesn't make sense to  keep both. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Dirtbug26 said:

What is the mileage on each?

The KLX has nearly 6k miles on it, with about 4k with the 351 kit. I bought it for $2500. with 740. miles on it.

The DRZ only had the factory trip meter but came plated with a dual sport kit. It looks barely used, and the front MT21 has a manufacture date of 2002! I doubt it has more than 1,500. miles on it honestly.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Yokomo said:

I kinda feel the same. The KLX just feels better on tight trails. The trans just feels better from a gearing perspective. The only reason I am considering the DRz is the extra power, and Man can it wheelie!

The KLX has nearly 6k miles on it, with about 4k with the 351 kit. I bought it for $2500. with 740. miles on it.
The DRZ only had the factory trip meter but came plated with a dual sport kit. It looks barely used, and the front MT21 has a manufacture date of 2002! I doubt it has more than 1,500. miles on it honestly.

I'm gonna say rider preference then.

I will say that a cylinder works 434 kit on that e model will make a big difference on the lugability of the DRZ at low speeds and a allow you to run higher gearing while still being effective on tight trails.

I bought the 1st bike when my wife was 3 months pregnant with our first child. Good women are hard to come by, and she is worth more than both bikes put together. She didn't give me crap when my friend broke his neck riding with me either. She didn't even give me crap when I got T boned by a pickup in town last year! I may be a noob but I bounce well. Don't worry guys, I am not a battered husband I randomly bought the DRZ to flip and just liked it. Both bikes fill the same bill, it doesn't make sense to  keep both. 

I like power, I love my drz. But the broader range of gearing is pretty sweet too. Idk. Hope that helps lol.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

I'm gonna say rider preference then.

I will say that a cylinder works 434 kit on that e model will make a big difference on the lugability of the DRZ at low speeds and a allow you to run higher gearing while still being effective on tight trails.

You are probably correct. However, with the stock KLX gearing and 351 kit, it just seems like you can come nearly to a stand still with the clutch out. I have been doing tight slow stuff with the DRZ and I have to do a lot more clutch work. And it is geared 14/49 right now. What will it be like with say 14/47?

• Like 2

You are probably correct. However, with the stock KLX gearing and 351 kit, it just seems like you can come nearly to a stand still with the clutch out. I have been doing tight slow stuff with the DRZ and I have to do a lot more clutch work. And it is geared 14/49 right now. What will it be like with say 14/47?

I'm a big fan of honda XR's, so I definitely feel ya. I struggled with the same thing when I bought my drz new in 06. Eventually, I learned to carry more speed and keep my feet on the pegs to allow the suspension to do the work. I used to have the z geared really low for the gnarly tight pacific northwest single track I ride. Now, I'm back at 16/44 gearing on the same trails with far less clutch work.

In your case it sounds like you have a bike that meets your needs already. Adapting your riding style may not make any sense at all. Ain't broke, don't fix it. Right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

I'm a big fan of honda XR's, so I definitely feel ya. I struggled with the same thing when I bought my drz new in 06. Eventually, I learned to carry more speed and keep my feet on the pegs to allow the suspension to do the work. I used to have the z geared really low for the gnarly tight pacific northwest single track I ride. Now, I'm back at 16/44 gearing on the same trails with far less clutch work.

In your case it sounds like you have a bike that meets your needs already. Adapting your riding style may not make any sense at all. Ain't broke, don't fix it. Right?

Yeah, I just am lusting over more power I guess. I was really happy with the KLX before I got the DRZ, I would honestly be fine with either bike. I am splitting hairs, but have to make the choice. I don't want to keep both bikes since I am shooting for one "do it all" bike.

• Like 2