The DRZ400E Vs. KLX351 dilemma

Does the E have any jetting or exhaust mods? They make a huge difference in the way the motor runs. A slightly used E is rare, I'd keep it, have had my 03E for close to 10years now and love it

• Like 3

If you were closer to me I'd take the KLX off your hands , I've been watching for a decent priced one with plans to do the BB 351 , it would be an ideal winter bike . I've tried a bunch of bikes now and it's hard to find the right bike light enough , good power but mild enough to have linear output , tranny spacing that keeps the power smooth . Around here the few that come up are above $3k but still 250's . The efi version would be nicer but harder to tune for the bb.  I take my stroker motor out of the dzr for ice riding ,getting sick of it .

Edited by jjktmrider

Sounds like you are fond of both bikes, just keep them, and tell wife no one wants to pay you what they are worth. Its nice having a backup bike anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtbug26 said:

Sounds like you are fond of both bikes, just keep them, and tell wife no one wants to pay you what they are worth. Its nice having a backup bike anyway.

Yeah, F-it, lie to her... once in a while is OK

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

Yeah, F-it, lie to her... once in a while is OK

Hell yeah! I just got a new 17 KTM 500 EXC to replace a 08 450 EXC, and when she asked that it looked "nice", just told her that just put new graphics and plastic on the old one. That was the end of the inquiries.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Dirtbug26 said:

Hell yeah! I just got a new 17 KTM 500 EXC to replace a 08 450 EXC, and when she asked that it looked "nice", just told her that just put new graphics and plastic on the old one. That was the end of the inquiries.

You're awesome dude!

You are probably correct. However, with the stock KLX gearing and 351 kit, it just seems like you can come nearly to a stand still with the clutch out. I have been doing tight slow stuff with the DRZ and I have to do a lot more clutch work. And it is geared 14/49 right now. What will it be like with say 14/47?

I ride my 434 drz with 14/47. It's great on tight rocky ST and still will pull 90mph, though its happiest at 60 or so. 20171121_184632.jpg
  • Like 2

I took a slightly different route. I taught my wife how to ride and she loved it. Now I have a great wife AND a great riding partner. See if your wife is interested and give her the choice of which one she wants. Or the Honda CRF230 is a great starter bike that's inexpensive and unintimidating.

I mention this because I constantly amazed at the number of guys who have never encouraged their wives/partners to share trail riding with them. My experience is that a surprising number of them will say Yes if you skip the macho BS.

Here's a picture of a buddy of mine and his partner at Hurrah Pass outside of Moab a couple of weeks ago. She started small but now rides a 250 with everyone else.

Good Luck

PB250051.JPG

• Like 3

I took a slightly different route. I taught my wife how to ride and she loved it. Now I have a great wife AND a great riding partner. See if your wife is interested and give her the choice of which one she wants. Or the Honda CRF230 is a great starter bike that's inexpensive and unintimidating.
I mention this because I constantly amazed at the number of guys who have never encouraged their wives/partners to share trail riding with them. My experience is that a surprising number of them will say Yes if you skip the macho BS.
Here's a picture of a buddy of mine and his partner at Hurrah Pass outside of Moab a couple of weeks ago. She started small but now rides a 250 with everyone else.
Good Luck
PB250051.JPG.7e49c563a16b16ab88b3f0f48a699274.JPG
I was going to suggest that.

13 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Does the E have any jetting or exhaust mods? They make a huge difference in the way the motor runs. A slightly used E is rare, I'd keep it, have had my 03E for close to 10years now and love it

It has stock jetting, de snorkelled, opened up exhaust tip, and wire mod to the pump linkage. I think it is a bit rich at WOT but seems to run really good.

1 hour ago, braunj said:

Good Luck

PB250051.JPG

Great idea, she is not into that stuff though. It isn't a wife problem. I just need to pick a bike that's all. Love that Transalp!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Because mountains said:

It has stock jetting, de snorkelled, opened up exhaust tip, and wire mod to the pump linkage. I think it is a bit rich at WOT but seems to run really good.

I'd check the plug and see how it's burning. If you've got a de-snorkeled, opened exhaust tipped set-up, it's probably  lean. The stock main is something like a 145, I put a 165 in mine and it has a lot more power

54 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

I'd check the plug and see how it's burning. If you've got a de-snorkeled, opened exhaust tipped set-up, it's probably  lean. The stock main is something like a 145, I put a 165 in mine and it has a lot more power

54 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

I am at 5,000 ft above sea level in Northern Co and frequently ride 7-10k ft above sea level. The plug actually looked black, but I have not checked since I opened the exhaust. Seems to run a bit cleaner now.

I had KLX250 which I loved but I wasn't willing to do a big bore kit. The 250 was under powered for my weight and the altitudes I ride  (5K to 12K).  I felt if I need more power I needed a different bike.   So I got plated 2006 DRZ E and I loved it too.  Sold the KLX. The DRZ has lots of power and lighter than the KLX, but only a 5 speed.

If the KLX351 has the power you want then I would probably stick with the KLX and its 6th gear.   The DRZ is still 9 years older and many DRZs needs a number of locktite fixes. 

I subsequently got a plated WR450F.   love it more.  Still only a 5 speed but the suspension and handling and power are better than the DRZ-E. 

The perfect bike is multiple bikes.  One for adventure off road and another for adventure on road. 

3 minutes ago, CaptCapsize said:

I had KLX250 which I loved but I wasn't willing to do a big bore kit. The 250 was under powered for my weight and the altitudes I ride  (5K to 12K).  I felt if I need more power I needed a different bike.   So I got plated 2006 DRZ E and I loved it too.  Sold the KLX. The DRZ has lots of power and lighter than the KLX, but only a 5 speed.

If the KLX351 has the power you want then I would probably stick with the KLX and its 6th gear.   The DRZ is still 9 years older and many DRZs needs a number of locktite fixes. 

I subsequently got a plated WR450F.   love it more.  Still only a 5 speed but the suspension and handling and power are better than the DRZ-E. 

The perfect bike is multiple bikes.  One for adventure off road and another for adventure on road. 

Yeah, already did all the "loctite fixes", Man that is a lot of loctite! There is never enough power I guess. Which bike do you think  would be more reliable? Long lived? I plan running the one I keep up over 20K miles, probably a lot more than 20K.