The DRZ400E Vs. KLX351 dilemma

12 hours ago, bucket list said:

Wow, you must ride way differently then me. 14/49 really tall? I'm thinking my 14/42 is really low! IF I use my 13/42 (similar to 14/45) I'm thinking I might as well have a trials bike. Lol I like to attack the trail, use momentum to get over and through obbsticals.

But the Recluse is like cheating, so many top enduro and Supercross riders are now using the auto clutches now because they work so good in the tight narly stuff. Recluse has recently improved there product for bikes like the DRZ. They now use thinner steel fiber plates to get more in there, along with steel inserts on the clutch basket to keep the thinner plates from wearing in to the aluminum basket  fingers.

You can still use the clutch manually , but at low idle when you release the lever, it just sits there and idles till you raise the rpm  a little. The only down side is you don't have as much engine braking.

Colorado has a lot of really rocky, steep trails, holding too much speed, for me at least, could mean deflecting off a rock and going off a cliff or something. Being able to ride very slow up to an obstacle, like a rock step and then weight the bike and zap up over it is very nice. This is the way I am most comfortable riding but I have seen guys hall over that terrain, mostly on 2 strokes. But yes, 14/49 is very low gearing

6 hours ago, Iffykid said:

Did your wifes 2014 have the BB351? I found it makes a noticeable difference in power.

For me I run 14X47 and cruise comfortable between 60-65mph and can still swap the counter shaft 13 or 15 depending if I want more or less gearing in about ten minutes.

I think you and Mr. bucket list have the best idea with the countershaft switch-out. No to the 351 conversion, which I carefully considered but was advised and decided against. I found the KLX a sweet little bike, nicer on the street than my DRZ and it weighs about 20# less than the DRZ with a full 16L Clarke tank.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, bucket list said:

I got the ultimate answer for you, sell the KLX, gear the DRZ a little taller and put the new updated Recluse auto clutch in it.

Since your like me and want a bike as a do it all machine. Most people agree the 5 speed box is what keeps the DRZ from being that ultimate do it all bike. I do it all. From 13 hour days on hiway and forest service roads, to tip toeing through tight, hilly, rocky, rooty, nasty single track and my solution is to quick change my countershaft sprocket for what ever riding I'm going to do. I've got the change down to about 10 min. anywhere from a 13T to a 16T with the same 110 link chain and a 42T rear. But I realise not everyone's going to do that, so running stock S gearing (15-44) with the Recluse would give a decent hiway gear and be awesome in the tight nasty stuff.

But for sure keep the wife, a good woman is worth her weight in gold. :thumbsup:

Most people agree on the 5spd DRZ

Most people agree on the WRR being under powered over weight tall and expensive but it does have a 6spd.

Alot of top hard enduro riders quit using the Recluse because of traction issues and reduced compression braking but retain the cover for the increased oil capacity leaving many believing they use a Recluse when they do not.

KLX351 only slightly less power than the DRZ but has a 6spd, More power, less weight, lower seat height and less expensive than a WRR.

The increased power of the KLX351 over stock leaves more options for sprockets changes and also only takes about 10 minutes.

Skip the Recluse and learn proper clutch control, Many top hard enduro riders learned this starting out riding trials events.

IMHO the one in the middle I kept as the best for me, Since the pic was taken I did add a larger Acerbis 3.7 for extended range on longer trips but the other 2 bikes are no longer available to me for updated pics.

DSC02120.jpg

Edited by Iffykid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

I think you and Mr. bucket list have the best idea with the countershaft switch-out. No to the 351 conversion, which I carefully considered but was advised and decided against

This would be the first I've heard of anyone against doing the 351 kit , reliability has been proven to be as good as oem with much more power and a better all around bike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iffykid said:

Most people agree on the 5spd DRZ

Most people agree on the WRR being under powered over weight tall and expensive but it does have a 6spd.

Alot of top hard enduro riders quit using the Recluse because of traction issues and reduced compression braking but retain the cover for the increased oil capacity leaving many believing they use a Recluse when they do not.

KLX351 only slightly less power than the DRZ but has a 6spd, More power, less weight, lower seat height and less expensive than a WRR.

The increased power of the KLX351 over stock leaves more options for sprockets changes and also only takes about 10 minutes.

Skip the Recluse and learn proper clutch control, Many top hard enduro riders learned this starting out riding trials events.

IMHO the one in the middle I kept as the best for me, Since the pic was taken I did add a larger Acerbis 3.7 for extended range on longer trips but the other 2 bikes are no longer available to me for updated pics.

DSC02120.jpg

I agree people should learn proper clutch control. But in the really tight, rocky, narly woods riding around here, it just makes getting through some of this stuff easier and as a way of broadening the usability of the narrow 5 speed, it makes some sense.

All similar purpose bikes. You do any mutiday adventuring?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

This would be the first I've heard of anyone against doing the 351 kit , reliability has been proven to be as good as oem with much more power and a better all around bike.

I joined KawasakiForums dot com, where I first heard of the 351 kit and the smaller 331 kits from Bill Blue. Read a bunch, trying to improve the power of the wife's 250. I was advised by 2 members (through private messaging) who had the larger kit to avoid the 351 due to cooling/reliability issues. There are a few reports on the same forum from people who have had issues, however I know that happens with all bikes and I didn't pursue the matter further as the wife didn't seem to care very much. She soon moved on to her 2016 350 Exc-F, which has a lot more power than the KLX but certainly not as fat a mid power delivery as my good 'ole DRZ.

I lost my temper more than once with the semi-stock KLX lack of power to get its butt over difficult trail obstacles. Think I cursed that bike more than any other I've ever ridden! All due to power.... or the lack thereof.

BTW, Riding her EXC-F 350 has me lusting after the snap and grunt of the EXC-F 500.

2 hours ago, bucket list said:

I agree people should learn proper clutch control. But in the really tight, rocky, narly woods riding around here, it just makes getting through some of this stuff easier and as a way of broadening the usability of the narrow 5 speed, it makes some sense.

Yes all simiiar bikes, But I have sorted thru what works for me and the only ones left are 2 KLX351's.  I would really like to try a Beta 390RR but kitted out $11k which is almost twice what I have into 2 KLX351'S combined.

The Recluse might make sense in a narrow 5spd DRz but the KLX is a 6 speed.:p

Last multi day was in Oct, 900 miles on the DakAL or Dakota Adventure Loop.  So guess that would be a yes.

IMG_0644-XL.jpg

IMG_0646-XL.jpg

Edited by Iffykid
  • Like 2

So I took the DRZ out today and found some difficult singletrack , and put 116 mile on it today. The issue is not "can I ride the DRZ," I can. I only have 2 seasons of riding experience but have practiced a lot on difficult stuff and have decent clutch control. The issue is, which bike should I keep. The DRZ can do it but feels a little less nimble than the KLX, the DRZ is easier to keep from falling over as it is a bit lighter, E model, and the suspension does not seem as compliant. It has more power than the KLX 351. THe KLX has a MUUUCH better 1st gear and just feels more agile on tight trails. Both bikes are great, good problem to have, but one bike must win.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

I joined KawasakiForums dot com, where I first heard of the 351 kit and the smaller 331 kits from Bill Blue. Read a bunch, trying to improve the power of the wife's 250. I was advised by 2 members (through private messaging) who had the larger kit to avoid the 351 due to cooling/reliability issues. There are a few reports on the same forum from people who have had issues, however I know that happens with all bikes and I didn't pursue the matter further as the wife didn't seem to care very much. She soon moved on to her 2016 350 Exc-F, which has a lot more power than the KLX but certainly not as fat a mid power delivery as my good 'ole DRZ.

I lost my temper more than once with the semi-stock KLX lack of power to get its butt over difficult trail obstacles. Think I cursed that bike more than any other I've ever ridden! All due to power.... or the lack thereof.

BTW, Riding her EXC-F 350 has me lusting after the snap and grunt of the EXC-F 500.

I have heard some guys having head gasket issues but I think that may be partly install error. When I did mine, the head stud bores filled partly with oil and, if not blown out with compressed air, would have caused reduced torque on the head assembly. Mine has about 4K miles on the 351 kit and has been very reliable, no overheating even on crazy rocky,  slow singletrack. Just my experience.  Other's mileage may vary  :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bucket list said:

I do some  overnight trips but have yet to do several day trips. I am going to do the Co BDR this year in July or August. Any  bike I keep has to have the ability to do  everything, maybe not well, but everything. Comparing the DRZ and KLX on singletrack today,  the KLX just seems to find more traction, even on a 40% kenda 270 rear.

17 hours ago, adrian_vg said:

Hey, those LEDs - you have a brand and model on those?

They are just cheapo Amazon LED's, they sell for about $18. a pair and I just made some aluminum tabs off the upper triple clamp bolts to mount them to. They are cheap and work great. The centered LED light on the front of the DRZ is about $18 as well. LED  technology has gotten very cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Because mountains said:

I do some  overnight trips but have yet to do several day trips. I am going to do the Co BDR this year in July or August. Any  bike I keep has to have the ability to do  everything, maybe not well, but everything. Comparing the DRZ and KLX on singletrack today,  the KLX just seems to find more traction, even on a 40% kenda 270 rear.

Sounds like your talking your self into that KLX. I think the shorter wheelbase contributes to the traction and better tight woods manners. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the DRZ. I'll be coming down the Continental divide in Sept. To Del Norte, then through Ouray, Telluride and over to Moab. Really looking forward to CO. Looks similar to B.C. only grander.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucket list said:

Sounds like your talking your self into that KLX. I think the shorter wheelbase contributes to the traction and better tight woods manners. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the DRZ. I'll be coming down the Continental divide in Sept. To Del Norte, then through Ouray, Telluride and over to Moab. Really looking forward to CO. Looks similar to B.C. only grander.

You will love Co, great riding for sure. And yes, probably am leaning toward the  green one.

12 hours ago, Iffykid said:

Yes all simiiar bikes, But I have sorted thru what works for me and the only ones left are 2 KLX351's.  I would really like to try a Beta 390RR but kitted out $11k which is almost twice what I have into 2 KLX351'S combined.

The Recluse might make sense in a narrow 5spd DRz but the KLX is a 6 speed.:p

Last multi day was in Oct, 900 miles on the DakAL or Dakota Adventure Loop.  So guess that would be a yes.

IMG_0644-XL.jpg

IMG_0646-XL.jpg

How many miles have you put on the klx351's and have you had any trouble with yours?

5 hours ago, Because mountains said:

They are just cheapo Amazon LED's, they sell for about $18. a pair and I just made some aluminum tabs off the upper triple clamp bolts to mount them to. They are cheap and work great. The centered LED light on the front of the DRZ is about $18 as well. LED  technology has gotten very cheap.

Thanks. Planning to do an adventure riding with some buddies this winter called "100% Lost". It's basically a five or so hour-ride in the woods with a map at night. Some extra lumens would fit quite nicely in the Swedish winter forrests, considering the original DRZ-headlight...

Planning to build or get a used helmet light from another offroad-buddy too.
It's said the helmet light prevents most of the "sea sickness" normally aquired during this kind of riding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Because mountains said:

How many miles have you put on the klx351's and have you had any trouble with yours?

First one had 4,000 miles stock and then did the BB351 it now sits just shy of 11,000 miles with no issues.  Only trouble has been gas+oil changes+tires+sprockets& chains+defective heated grip switch:lol:

Second one I picked up used($3000) as a backup for the first, PO said he did the BB351 at 100 miles it had 3000 miles when I purchased it now has just shy of 3500 no issues but its a backup so it doesn't get ridden much.

In all honesty I am still looking for my unicorn lightweight 250lb ish D/S which I think the Beta 390RR maybe but the $11,000 price not sure I want to spend the $$$$$ :banghead:

Wife says I will never be happy but if the KLX weighed 50lbs less I would be a lot happier with it.

I have to also admit if trip includes more than 50-100 miles of blacktop to the start I am trailering as I hate blacktop anymore even on my 3rd Goldwing if the trip includes blacktop stretches so be it but doesn't mean I like it.  Anyone interested in a no longer ridden 09 Goldwing 68,000 miles.:ride:

DSC02210.jpg

• Like 2

First one had 4,000 miles stock and then did the BB351 it now sits just shy of 11,000 miles with no issues.  Only trouble has been gas+oil changes+tires+sprockets& chains+defective heated grip switch
Second one I picked up used($3000) as a backup for the first, PO said he did the BB351 at 100 miles it had 3000 miles when I purchased it now has just shy of 3500 no issues but its a backup so it doesn't get ridden much.
In all honesty I am still looking for my unicorn lightweight 250lb ish D/S which I think the Beta 390RR maybe but the $11,000 price not sure I want to spend the $$$$$ :banghead:
Wife says I will never be happy but if the KLX weighed 50lbs less I would be a lot happier with it.
I have to also admit if trip includes more than 50-100 miles of blacktop to the start I am trailering as I hate blacktop anymore even on my 3rd Goldwing if the trip includes blacktop stretches so be it but doesn't mean I like it.  Anyone interested in a no longer ridden 09 Goldwing 68,000 miles.:ride:
DSC02210.jpg.7e7f23d220abbffb2715cb229f9027ce.jpg

6915.jpeg
I have a similar goldwing for sale. Dog and pillow not included.
  • Like 4