MarioThePlumber

Your Ride Today

Oh, nevermind. I forgot the results of my last ramp test. A few weeks ago FTP was at 228. I just started TR a month ago and I can already tell a difference. Curious what it will be next week after the new test. 

Regarding weight, since the race season is over and it's too cold to mtb, I've already gained about 6 pounds. Over summer I was eating pretty well. Cold makes me lethargic and my old eating habits are creeping back. 

Edited by k.g

9 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Will that be an improvement over your last test?

While gaining power is a goal for me, I’m still trying to lose weight; aiming for around 175 and I’m currently at 191.

Minor victory for me today... after a rough few months, I’m the lowest weight I’ve been since college. And 3 years ago, I weighed nearly 40 pounds more than I do now.

Way to go man! I totally understand how hard it is to lose a bunch of weight. I was a chubby kid in school, my senior year of HS I was 215lbs and no muscle...I dropped down to about 165lbs by the time I was 21. I'm 6'1" so I was hauling ass up the hills back when I was that light...I wish Strava was around then, as I would probably have better PR's on some of the local climbs.

Long story short, between too much time at work and some health stuff, I crept back up a couple of years ago. I didn't really weigh myself for a few years and had a wake up call when I couldn't fit into my tree-climbing harness one day. I weighed myself and I was 210. I totally overhauled my diet and quit drinking for a year and got down to 185...I fluctuate, but make it a point to not go above 195 in winter. For me, 185 is my target weight for race season...I have a lot more muscle than I used to and my performance actually goes down if I drop too low.

• Like 1

I wish TR would recognize that I don’t have a smart trainer and can’t quickly and massively change power levels in the span of 5 seconds. Going from 250 to 350 and back in a few seconds isn’t going to happen with any shred of accuracy. 

A4EE7201-7BE9-44B8-86E2-923DEB6DFB8E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k.g said:

I wish TR would recognize that I don’t have a smart trainer and can’t quickly and massively change power levels in the span of 5 seconds. Going from 250 to 350 and back in a few seconds isn’t going to happen with any shred of accuracy. 

A4EE7201-7BE9-44B8-86E2-923DEB6DFB8E.jpeg

Cadence seems really high, is that normal? I've always kept it around 75. Any higher I feel like I'm really giving up efficiency. Plus it looks ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteFire said:

Cadence seems really high, is that normal? I've always kept it around 75. Any higher I feel like I'm really giving up efficiency. Plus it looks ridiculous. 

Individual preference, it's also largely tied to power. I believe most of the evidence shows that higher power numbers often correlate to faster cadences...that's probably do to a higher cadence being more efficient for high-power efforts. Also, it seems preferred for folks with lotsa fast-twitch muscles fibers...it basically lets the fast-twitch fibers contribute more to endurance work, while preserving them for the hard efforts. 

I average about 85-90 on a road ride, and that includes spots where I'm slow pedaling/coasting through turns. On the not so steep climbs (<8%,) I aim to maintain a cadence in the 90-100rpm range...if it's steeper than that, I'm in/out of the saddle a lot, so that throws the average way off.

75-80rpm is my comfortable standing cadence. Friends jokingly call me Lance, not because of any drugs in my system or prolific race wins, but because of my cadence.

For the really steep climbs (like 15-20%,) my cadence becomes extremely irrelevant. At that point, if I was going to spin my ideal cadence, I'd be way above threshold power. 

Pretty easy ride today after spending a few weeks on the trainer. It was cold AF out there, the Garmin weather lies...it dipped into the 30's at one point.

While we're still on the cadence thing...I average 85rpm on this ride. Kinda what I was expecting considering a couple of steep climbs and that I wasn't going balls out on the whole ride.

17840520_Screenshot2021-01-06at7_11_58PM.png.7e79d67eb302f1b8f5dc64866412ea0f.png

1462537084_Screenshot2021-01-06at7_12_29PM.png.8abf37a05b082be3d901f0aaa34ea623.png1553659580_Screenshot2021-01-06at7_12_59PM.png.5af6fa6bf93ee977072aeb36497bbce5.png

15 hours ago, k.g said:

I did a 2.5 hour ride last weekend that was in the low 30s and misting. 43 sounds lovely!

The worst part is the elevation change...43 going downhill feels a lot different than 43 going uphill. If it was mostly flat, the temperature wouldn't bother me that much.

23 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

1615C18F-07F2-4E54-9525-80ECFE23F310.thumb.jpeg.4ea1cf8ea013bf5eaee8d5594b979516.jpeg

kinda surprised, as my max HR was “only” 193. I maybe could have spun a bit faster and made it a few extra seconds.

But gains are gains!

Congrats dude. I think the last time I had my HR to 193, I thought I was going to have a cardiac event lol.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteFire said:

I experimented with higher cadence today. Couldn't go over 85 without issues. But I'm commuting in boots with bmx monster pedals. Clipped in really smooths it out and the higher rate is no issue. My hips are angry. 

A fast cadence with flat pedals is an easy way to take a pedal to the shin. Back when I used flat pedals for MTB'ing, my shins always looked like hamburger.

I've since joined the dark side and will even ride bike park stuff and the high-sierra boulder field singletrack with clipless pedals. I'm fortunate enough to be fairly coordinated on 2 wheels, so the tip-overs haven't really been a thing.

My hips are angry too, but that has to do with my flooring project at home. I don't know why exactly they hurt, but I don't think they've ever hurt this bad before...knees feel pretty tender too. I went for a pedal bike ride today, but I'm not even posting it here because I struggled so bad on a fairly mundane ride.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

A fast cadence with flat pedals is an easy way to take a pedal to the shin. Back when I used flat pedals for MTB'ing, my shins always looked like hamburger.

I've since joined the dark side and will even ride bike park stuff and the high-sierra boulder field singletrack with clipless pedals. I'm fortunate enough to be fairly coordinated on 2 wheels, so the tip-overs haven't really been a thing.

My hips are angry too, but that has to do with my flooring project at home. I don't know why exactly they hurt, but I don't think they've ever hurt this bad before...knees feel pretty tender too. I went for a pedal bike ride today, but I'm not even posting it here because I struggled so bad on a fairly mundane ride.

I'm not worried about tipping over either, I can track stand all day. I need to be able to dodge a club or swung branch while pedaling down the dark ass homeless camp infested bike path at 5am. Being clipped in could stop me from bailing off to fight good. 

• Haha 1