2017 450 SXF-F, stator question for offroad riding

I have a 2017 KTM 450 SX-F that I use for off road riding (sand washes, single track, desert stuff, etc).

I have the trail tech fan on the bike for slow tight single track.  It absolutely zapped my battery and left me stranded in the middle of no where (I had it turned up to 190 degrees BTW).

The only other option I can think of is getting an after market stator for my bike to replace the OEM one (I believe I saw one on Rocky Mountain that is 120 watts).  I've ALREADY REPLACED THE OEM battery for a lithium ion.

Any suggestions?  My buddies '17 FX 450 runs fine with a fan installed, and no battery issues.

I have a 2017 KTM 450 SX-F that I use for off road riding (sand washes, single track, desert stuff, etc).  

I have the trail tech fan on the bike for slow tight single track.  It absolutely zapped my battery and left me stranded in the middle of no where (I had it turned up to 190 degrees BTW).

The only other option I can think of is getting an after market stator for my bike to replace the OEM one (I believe I saw one on Rocky Mountain that is 120 watts).  I've ALREADY REPLACED THE OEM battery for a lithium ion.

Any suggestions?  My buddies '17 FX 450 runs fine with a fan installed, and no battery issues.

I'm doing 50-50 between Moto and desert with my 17 450sxf. Here's what I'm getting ready to install to prevent overheating. I'm going to get either a Anti gravity battery or a Shorai with a higher amp hour rating than the stock battery, trailtech fan kit, and a Ricky Stator-stator. This seems to be what a few other people on here have done and it seems to of worked.

• Like 1

His min temperature could be set higher causing his fan to come on less.

For the record, though some companies rate their stators at let's say 130w, what they don't account in is what it takes to run the bike. Approx 40-50w is what's needed so subtract that from the total output and you'll have approx 70-80w available. When you see a lower number from Ricky Stator, it's because that's the 'available' watts AFTER the bike is accounted for...  

I run a Ricky Stator and the largest capacity battery available on my 350. I can run both my 42w headlight and fan with no issues. I have approx 250hrs in this setup. 

5 hours ago, Edge316 said:

I'm doing 50-50 between Moto and desert with my 17 450sxf. Here's what I'm getting ready to install to prevent overheating. I'm going to get either a Anti gravity battery or a Shorai with a higher amp hour rating than the stock battery, trailtech fan kit, and a Rocky Stator-stator. This seems to be what a few other people on here have done and it seems to of worked.

This is exactly what I'm doing splitting time between the track and the desert. I need to do some more research, but I may just order an OEM stator from an FE/ XC-F- KTM.

5 hours ago, Monk said:

His min temperature could be set higher causing his fan to come on less.

For the record, though some companies rate their stators at let's say 130w, what they don't account in is what it takes to run the bike. Approx 40-50w is what's needed so subtract that from the total output and you'll have approx 70-80w available. When you see a lower number from Ricky Stator, it's because that's the 'available' watts AFTER the bike is accounted for...  

I run a Ricky Stator and the largest capacity battery available on my 350. I can run both my 42w headlight and fan with no issues. I have approx 250hrs in this setup. 

I put my setting high to not have the fan come on as much (you are right).

Yes SXF, XCF 450 stators are the same.   It is 75 watts.  I would bet Husqs are the same also.  The wattage is listed in the owners manual.

The fan in the trailtech and KTM kit are both a Spal VA32-A101-62A (3010.3018).    Spal datasheet shows it can draw up to 2.5 amps at 13V.  (So 32.5 watts).

The battery in my 2016 XCF failed to start my brand new zero hour bike the first time out (It was 10 degrees out).   My opinion is the KTM oem batteries are garbage.

Many people are adding a headlight and/or the fan kit and having no issues with the OEM stator on these bikes.   I ran all last winter with a headlight or occasional heated grips (45 watt grips).  I think you would be fine just replacing your battery with a good one.   I personally chose a Antigravity.

Since then, I swapped a bunch of parts to run the excf stator.

Yes SXF, XCF 450 stators are the same.   It is 75 watts.  I would bet Husqs are the same also.  The wattage is listed in the owners manual.
The fan in the trailtech and KTM kit are both a Spal VA32-A101-62A (3010.3018).    Spal datasheet shows it can draw up to 2.5 amps at 13V.  (So 32.5 watts).
The battery in my 2016 XCF failed to start my brand new zero hour bike the first time out (It was 10 degrees out).   My opinion is the KTM oem batteries are garbage.
Many people are adding a headlight and/or the fan kit and having no issues with the OEM stator on these bikes.   I ran all last winter with a headlight or occasional heated grips (45 watt grips).  I think you would be fine just replacing your battery with a good one.   I personally chose a Antigravity.
Since then, I swapped a bunch of parts to run the excf stator.

Which model Anti gravity battery did you get? What's the amp hour rating?

3 hours ago, Edge316 said:

Which model Anti gravity battery did you get? What's the amp hour rating?

My mechanical experience is novice at best....2 questions:

1.). This black chord was connected to my battery, but was not plugged into anything...just wrapped under the main electronics...What is it, and do I need it?  Maybe at one point and time it was plugged into something?  I always took my bike to get worked on, and had various parts on it at times.  Maybe I don't need it anymore?

2.). Is this WPS featherlight battery good enough to run my trail tech fan, or should I buy the Anti gravity?

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

1) It is for a battery tender.  I don't use one.  With a good battery I don't feel like you should need one.  Not all battery chargers are good for all types of batteries.  I'm guessing the previous owner had battery troubles also and charging it frequently was cheaper than buying a good quality battery.

2)  The battery only runs the fan when the bike isn't running.  The stator makes power, the battery stores power, the fan uses power.  If you are using more power than you are making, the excess power will have to come from the battery and no matter what size battery you use it will eventually be drained dead. The WPS is a 2 amp hour battery.  24WH/12V.  It is probably good enough to start your bike in the summer as long as your bike fires up fast.  It does not have much capacity at all.  I would never buy such a small battery for an electric start only bike unless it was a track only bike.

I run the AG-801 but I don't think it would fit in the sxf battery tray.   You'd probably have to buy the xcf tray.  Battery ratings are not always rated the same so it is sort of hard to compare them.  They say the AG-801 is 9Ah.  Not sure if I really believe it.  I think it is more like a 4Ah.

KTM sells the fan kit for your bike and for the xcf and they do not say a stator upgrade is needed.  I would just focus on buying a good battery.

Here is a good thread on motorcycle batteries, it is why I chose the Antigravity.  There are other good brands though.  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/

Here is my stator upgrade thread.  

Earth X is another really good brand.

Edited by kmkommes

Best to check all your connections from the stator to the battery. A poor connection will mean poor charging. Removing connectors in the series may give you surprising results.
If your battery is good, battery size will only buy you time not solve a drainage issue.

6 hours ago, Edge316 said:

The AG-801seems to be the way to go. Even if you do have to switch to the 18sxf battery tray. It's one of the lightest, highest cca, and has a high amp hour rating.

I'm inclined to try the AG 801.  I want to order parts off of Rocky Mountain in the KTM OEM section.  I have the '17 450 SX-F.  Which battery tray do I need to order to support the AG 801 platform specifically?  The tray from the 17 XCF 450?

Thanks

Edited by motoxjeff

7 hours ago, kmkommes said:

1) It is for a battery tender.  I don't use one.  With a good battery I don't feel like you should need one.  Not all battery chargers are good for all types of batteries.  I'm guessing the previous owner had battery troubles also and charging it frequently was cheaper than buying a good quality battery.

2)  The battery only runs the fan when the bike isn't running.  The stator makes power, the battery stores power, the fan uses power.  If you are using more power than you are making, the excess power will have to come from the battery and no matter what size battery you use it will eventually be drained dead. The WPS is a 2 amp hour battery.  24WH/12V.  It is probably good enough to start your bike in the summer as long as your bike fires up fast.  It does not have much capacity at all.  I would never buy such a small battery for an electric start only bike unless it was a track only bike.

I run the AG-801 but I don't think it would fit in the sxf battery tray.   You'd probably have to buy the xcf tray.  Battery ratings are not always rated the same so it is sort of hard to compare them.  They say the AG-801 is 9Ah.  Not sure if I really believe it.  I think it is more like a 4Ah.

KTM sells the fan kit for your bike and for the xcf and they do not say a stator upgrade is needed.  I would just focus on buying a good battery.

Here is a good thread on motorcycle batteries, it is why I chose the Antigravity.  There are other good brands though.  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/

Can I get a part number for the AG 801, so I can find it on Rocky Mountain.  I found the OEM KTM battery tray in a video done by Jay Clark on you tube.

7 hours ago, kmkommes said:

I found the tray I need.  Which battery would fit?  They have different part numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BATTERY BOXPart #131307011248Mfg. #79011055100

$21.89MSRP: $29.19
You Save: (25%) 

$21.89

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antigravity Batteries 8-Cell Small Case Race Use Lithium Battery - 2018 HUSQVARNA TX 300Part #1388590001Mfg. #AG-801

$159.99MSRP: $179.99
You Save: (11%) 

$159.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antigravity Batteries 8-Cell Small Case Hi-Power Lithium Battery - 2015 KTM 350 XC-FPart #1388730001

Includes:Antigravity Batteries 8-Cell Small Case Race Use Lithium Battery (1 per pkg.)Mfg. #AG-801

$159.99MSRP: $179.99
You Save: (11%) 

$159.99