Rear wheel bearing rebuild question?

IMO I think this applies to most dirt bikes hence I'm posting this in the General Forum.

I'm looking at options for rebuilding my rear wheel bearings (and I also need seals and collars) and the kit I want to buy does not have part #9 included.

I wondering why part #9 is not included so is this something that wears and should actually be replaced during the wheel rebuild?

Clipboard01.jpg.252fd047001695006b8c62089b73c9a4.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Slicing-Air said:

I can't believe your asking US a question!    Usually you're the one answering all our questions!    :( 

One of the few things I've learned as I've gotten older is "The more I think I know, the less I actually know" ?

So can someone please enlighten me?

• Like 3

The bearings are what wear.  #9 is a spacer that fixes the distance between the bearings. 

Outside edges of the #8 spacers are a critical dimension in the wheel assembly.  The seals can't be axially loaded, which is why the #8 spacer exists.  You've got hard-stops from the #8 spacers with the swing arm on the outsides and bearings on teh inside, with the #9 spacer keeping the distance set between the bearings on either side. 

That #9 spacer generally doesn't need to be replaced, since it generally doesn't wear.  I've replaced mine front/rear once, since the faces started to wear.  A cheap turned part like that is a lot cheaper to replace than the hub, if the manufacturer were to use that to fix the dimensions between the inside of the bearings.

tl;dr: no, not typically necessary to replace.

• Like 3

Thanks and lucky I have a buddy with a full shop who helps me out for a case of beer when I need to deal with stuff like this ?

Otherwise the wheel OEM bearings etc have been on the bike for almost 12 years so If I'm doing them I might just buy the OEM #9 part for $10 and replace . Still find it somewhat strange that a full rebuild kit does not come with this but????

I didn't want to get into OEM vs aftermarket this is the kit I'm looking at.

Clipboard01.jpg.a09a63f0806864a3e9fafe645a6c2c0f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxcarWilly said:

Get the dimensions of the bearing and go to a local bearing store. I bought three SKF bearings for my RM125 for $19 last time. 

I had the opposite experience.  Bearings were actually more expensive at the bearing store than buying them through Amazon.  In order to avoid having to rush around trying to replace shot bearings I now have a complete spare set sitting in my toolbox.  

The other problem with going to the local bearing store is they didn't have the exact seals I needed.  Pre-buying a complete set means they come with the correct seals.

7 hours ago, filterx said:

Thanks and lucky I have a buddy with a full shop who helps me out for a case of beer when I need to deal with stuff like this :)

Otherwise the wheel OEM bearings etc have been on the bike for almost 12 years so If I'm doing them I might just buy the OEM #9 part for $10 and replace . Still find it somewhat strange that a full rebuild kit does not come with this but????

Its not strange at all that a kit does not include a part that never wears and never needs replacing.  It is a waste of $10 as it is entirely unnecessary to replace that part.

• Like 1