Fun stuff with my new 83 XL600R

Hey ,bike looks great . Heck of a wiring job . I have a 83 xl 600 engine from the xr parts collection .

I decided to sell it . Tried to sell it whole with no luck in the past . I'm going to part it out . I'm having a time getting that bolt hole plug out to get that last bolt out so I can take the head off . Do you remember the trick to getting that plug out. Seems like you removed yours at least twice on your build.  Any help would be awesome thanks . Glad your beast of a build is reaching the finish line .

Hey , Did you get your throttle cable problem resolved ?  I would spin all the adjusters you have out as far as you can . Or with the return that sounds like it is slack or loose ,you should tighten that one to have twist grip return . There should be the adjuster on the cable that comes out of the throttle twist and 2 more where the cables attach to the carbs . You can shorten or lenghen the cables at those three points

I have a question for you . What keeps the two decompression shafts from popping out of

the rocker cover . I have an 83 stock head and rocker cover . When I have the rocker cover in my hands .

turning it over and checking things out , The 2 shafts that the decomp cables connect to just fall out . Are any clips or pins that connect inside the cover to hold them in ?

I had the cables in right but the push was shorter then orig.
I ended up trimming the case a bit to even things out and get it working.

The manual decomp has a pin that keeps it in place on the inside of the cover.
The rear used to hook the 5th valve.
I made the rear one retained with a .75x.125 stainless dowel pin also that like the other one just sits on the head surface when installed and torqued.
I installed the pin and just hand drilled it in the little pocket where the Reed valve used to sit.
I also added an -11 oring to them just for added insurance against leaks.

I also modified the intake like the 84 with the crossover in the manifold and eliminated the Reed valve. 1529943374616.jpeg

Looking for guidance on jetting.
You know the story.
83 head, carbs
Bored 102mm with 10.5-1 piston
97 XR650L bottom end and crank. Mid range cam.
Stock header, E.A.R supertrapp (currently no discs)
Uni filter. No sparkarestor or snorkle

Running needles in second groove
65 air jet.
135 primary
130 secondary
Floats at 19mm

Starts and idles great.
Runs good.
Very slight surging when steady throttle.
Pulls good to 75mph in 5th and that's it.
Started at 135 primary, 132 secondary and ran out of steam earlier.
Went to 140 primary 138 secondary and got worse.

Kinda thinking not getting enough air.
Thinking of venting the airbox cover.

Oh, on your jetting. You said you have no discs on your supertrap .that's 0 back pressure . Aren't the discs for performance and sound?

if you spend all this time tuning the jets, won't it change when you add discs . I'm sure you thought of this, but finish the exhaust then finish the jetting .  

On the fuel filter deal. Can you put a longer hose and make a loop instead of a direct run at the carb and put your filter in the loop . Watch for kinks when you length it . If the loop falls too low , you can use wire ties to keep from having a low spot in the flow and causing it to fuel starve .

Looking for guidance on jetting.
You know the story.
83 head, carbs
Bored 102mm with 10.5-1 piston
97 XR650L bottom end and crank. Mid range cam.
Stock header, E.A.R supertrapp (currently no discs)
Uni filter. No sparkarestor or snorkle

Running needles in second groove
65 air jet.
135 primary
130 secondary
Floats at 19mm

Starts and idles great.
Runs good.
Very slight surging when steady throttle.
Pulls good to 75mph in 5th and that's it.
Started at 135 primary, 132 secondary and ran out of steam earlier.
Went to 140 primary 138 secondary and got worse.

Kinda thinking not getting enough air.
Thinking of venting the airbox cover.
Dear lord that's rich jetting! Try 125 mains in both carbs. Do you mean 65 pilot?