2009 DR650 choke cable is stuck in carb

Hi all

Recently I found that when I start my DR, I can't move the choke control all the way down - it sticks about half way. So I tried to take the choke cable off the carburetor to have a look. I can unscrew the plastic "nut" that holds the cable onto the carb, but I can't pull the choke plunger out of the carb. I've tried wiggling it back and forth but I don't want to apply too much pressure and end up breaking something.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get this thing out?

OK, a little progress... took the top off the carb and she was pretty dirty inside. I started sliding the choke plunger in and out with a tiny screwdriver, spraying carb cleaner on it each time, and eventually I got it out. Time for a carb rebuild.

Lesson learned: clean and re-oil the carb vent filter EACH TIME you clean/oil the main air filter!

For the Kawasaki KLR650 there's an aftermarket aluminum replacement for that plastic "nut".  Don't know if one is available for the DR650, or even if they use the same carb.  Per the KLR FAQs, the carb is a Keihin CVK40.

OK, a little progress... took the top off the carb and she was pretty dirty inside. I started sliding the choke plunger in and out with a tiny screwdriver, spraying carb cleaner on it each time, and eventually I got it out. Time for a carb rebuild.
Lesson learned: clean and re-oil the carb vent filter EACH TIME you clean/oil the main air filter!
An even better hint, go to Procycle or Motolab and get a real filter to replace the stock one. Lets your carb live longer and surge less in high winds.