GasGas the Alpha over “Beta”

3 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Im close enough to twice his weight now but I was 6’ 150 in high school at peak racing weight. That’s the probable age they tapped to use. Give em 40 years more and see what their weight is then. 

26, 5’10”, 130 lb

20, 5’8”, 120 lb

Is dirtrider keeping starved hidden test riders in their facility backroom? If so I will be unsubbing from their magazine pronto!

Edited by Atolduso
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Atolduso said:

26, 5’10”, 130 lb

20, 5’8”, 120 lb

Is dirtrider keeping starved hidden test riders in their facility backroom? If so I will be unsubbing from their magazine pronto!

They went under. Im getting The motorcyclist now. They might be in digital form. 

6 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

They went under. Im getting The motorcyclist now. They might be in digital form. 

That sucks. I was serious about being subscribed. I hadn't got anything in like 4 months.... now I know why, I was just going to look into it soon. Only got about 8 issues out of my $40/3 year sub, that sucks. 

Edited by Atolduso
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Atolduso said:

That sucks. I was serious about being subscribed. I hadn't got anything in like 4 months.... now I know why, I was just going to look into it soon. Only got about 8 issues out of my $40/3 year sub, that sucks. 

Yea well the content has been getting worse and worse in past years. Still Im not knowing what kind of content “The Motorcyclist” will bring. 

7 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea well the content has been getting worse and worse in past years. Still Im not knowing what kind of content “The Motorcyclist” will bring. 

What do you think about Cycle World? I also sub to that one. The latest issue was interesting, it was a lot bigger than the normal magazine size. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atolduso said:

What do you think about Cycle World? I also sub to that one. The latest issue was interesting, it was a lot bigger than the normal magazine size. 

I don’t know. I just read random issues once in a while. Im a dirt guy more than anything too so...

I've ridden lots of Beta's but not a 300Race. So I can't give you a totally fair opinion. 
I will say this. The GasGas suspension is "better" than the Yamaha stuff for the woods. Other way around for an MX track. Obviously both companies have the suspension being built for them by Kayaba, But GG has spec'ed theirs specifically for enduro riding. The spring rate between the XC and EC is different. The XC is a "better" harescramble bike (slightly stiffer), the EC a "better" enduro bike. (slightly plusher). Beta needs to drop Sachs or move up to something higher quality. Its killing them at the moment and leaving them further behind the competition every year. 
I keep putting the word better in quotations since I believe to some small degree such as spring settings that suspension preference is subjective. 
Putting the GasGas and Beta side by side on the showroom floor I found the fit and finish on the GasGas to be slightly better than the Beta but both are good. Beta has struggled somewhat with electrical gremlins, however, a 300 Race has very little electrical anyways to worry about. 
Either way you'll be making a great decision. But when I was in your exact same shoes about 5 weeks ago I made the decision for the GasGas. After spending today pulling my brand new bike apart to check grease on the swingarm pivot bolts and linkage I was pleasantly surprised to find them packed very nicely with waterproof grease, same for the steering head bearings. It goes to show the level of detail and quality control GasGas put into this new bike. I only found one bolt that left me scratching my head and saying "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? " and usually I'll find a bunch of those on a bike. Its very intuitive to work on and it all seemed very well thought out. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bit the bullet for the Gasser and will see it in two weeks. I'm coming from the jap world for the last 6 years and orange before that. For me it was the suspension that sold me especially since I have had so many issues with the triple air fork I just want something I can dial then just go ride!. Good to here about the workmanship because God forbid the Japanese companies actually take a little pride in thier finish work. Very excited for this new adventure!!!!
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CHUCKYMIKE34 said:
On 3/18/2018 at 7:13 PM, CDN Rick said:

I've ridden lots of Beta's but not a 300Race. So I can't give you a totally fair opinion. 
I will say this. The GasGas suspension is "better" than the Yamaha stuff for the woods. Other way around for an MX track. Obviously both companies have the suspension being built for them by Kayaba, But GG has spec'ed theirs specifically for enduro riding. The spring rate between the XC and EC is different. The XC is a "better" harescramble bike (slightly stiffer), the EC a "better" enduro bike. (slightly plusher). Beta needs to drop Sachs or move up to something higher quality. Its killing them at the moment and leaving them further behind the competition every year. 
I keep putting the word better in quotations since I believe to some small degree such as spring settings that suspension preference is subjective. 
Putting the GasGas and Beta side by side on the showroom floor I found the fit and finish on the GasGas to be slightly better than the Beta but both are good. Beta has struggled somewhat with electrical gremlins, however, a 300 Race has very little electrical anyways to worry about. 
Either way you'll be making a great decision. But when I was in your exact same shoes about 5 weeks ago I made the decision for the GasGas. After spending today pulling my brand new bike apart to check grease on the swingarm pivot bolts and linkage I was pleasantly surprised to find them packed very nicely with waterproof grease, same for the steering head bearings. It goes to show the level of detail and quality control GasGas put into this new bike. I only found one bolt that left me scratching my head and saying "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? " and usually I'll find a bunch of those on a bike. Its very intuitive to work on and it all seemed very well thought out. 

Hope that helps!

Read more  

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bit the bullet for the Gasser and will see it in two weeks. I'm coming from the jap world for the last 6 years and orange before that. For me it was the suspension that sold me especially since I have had so many issues with the triple air fork I just want something I can dial then just go ride!. Good to here about the workmanship because God forbid the Japanese companies actually take a little pride in thier finish work. Very excited for this new adventure!!!!

Congratulations! Be sure to post up a pic when you get it! 

Sooo What model didja order?

On 3/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, CHUCKYMIKE34 said:
On 3/26/2018 at 4:16 PM, CDN Rick said:

Congratulations! Be sure to post up a pic when you get it! 

Sooo What model didja order?

Read more  

I got the XC.

Congrats man, you're going to love it! I absolutely love mine, just installed a Rekluse Radius CX. The only nitpicks that I have on it, are the lack of chain adjustment marks on the swingarm, and that the stock clutch cover is not very strong, I cracked mine in a wreck that pushed the brake pedal into it, and I've seen a few others have similar issues with them, other then that, bike is awesome.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, CHUCKYMIKE34 said:
On 3/18/2018 at 7:13 PM, CDN Rick said:

Hope that helps!

Read more  

Congrats on the purchase.  I too am coming from a 16 YZ250X and 17 250FX yamaha over to the Gasser. Had a 17 KTM and 17 Husky prior to the Yamahas. Just picked up an 18 XC300. Will be great to share information on setup and stuff with you new owners. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, THUMPERRIDER1 said:

Congrats on the purchase.  I too am coming from a 16 YZ250X and 17 250FX yamaha over to the Gasser. Had a 17 KTM and 17 Husky prior to the Yamahas. Just picked up an 18 XC300. Will be great to share information on setup and stuff with you new owners. 

What do you wear out faster? Underwear? or Dirtbikes? :goofy:

Edited by CDN Rick
  • Like 2

What do you wear out faster? Underwear? or Dirtbikes? :goofy:

Variety is the spice of life! Do you want to hear my 2010-2016 list of bikes lol!
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Enlighten us please. 

Pretty sure this is what I've had............may be missing a few i'm getting old.............

05 YZ250
06 YZ250
08 YZ250F
08 YZ450F
08 KTM 300XC
09 KTM 200XC
09 RMZ450
09 KTM 250XCF with 280 BB kit
09 KTM 250SXF with HT320 BB kit
11 GasGas 250 Six Days
12 GasGas 300
12 YZ250F with 290 BB kit
13 Husky TXC 250
13 Husky TXC 310
14 Beta 250 RR Race Edition
14 YZ250F 
15 YZ250FX
13 KTM 250XC
16 YZ250FX
16 YZ250X
17 Husky FX350
17 KTM 250XC
16 KTM 250XCF x 2
17 YZ250FX with 270 BB kit
16 YZ250X
18 GasGas XC300

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, THUMPERRIDER1 said:

Pretty sure this is what I've had............may be missing a few i'm getting old.............

05 YZ250
06 YZ250
08 YZ250F
08 YZ450F
08 KTM 300XC
09 KTM 200XC
09 RMZ450
09 KTM 250XCF with 280 BB kit
09 KTM 250SXF with HT320 BB kit
11 GasGas 250 Six Days
12 GasGas 300
12 YZ250F with 290 BB kit
13 Husky TXC 250
13 Husky TXC 310
14 Beta 250 RR Race Edition
14 YZ250F 
15 YZ250FX
13 KTM 250XC
16 YZ250FX
16 YZ250X
17 Husky FX350
17 KTM 250XC
16 KTM 250XCF x 2
17 YZ250FX with 270 BB kit
16 YZ250X
18 GasGas XC300

How did you like the 12 gasgas? There's a 13 for sale here. 

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

How did you like the 12 gasgas? There's a 13 for sale here. 

Heavy...

15 minutes ago, ckny said:

Heavy...

I rode a Honda 450X for a year following a trials bike. Weight didn't bother me. For any bike to work for me I need:

-easy relaible starting

-torque  (no small bore other than 250F)

-soft serve suspension 

-something that doesn't boil easily (cancels all 450s).

-very low first gear

That's it.

10 hours ago, THUMPERRIDER1 said:

Variety is the spice of life! Do you want to hear my 2010-2016 list of bikes lol!

My birthday is in May, by then you will probably be tired of the GG. Holler at me.

• Like 2