GasGas the Alpha over “Beta”

I rode a Honda 450X for a year following a trials bike. Weight didn't bother me. For any bike to work for me I need:
-easy relaible starting
-torque  (no small bore other than 250F)
-soft serve suspension 
-something that doesn't boil easily (cancels all 450s).
-very low first gear
That's it.

The 12/13 is heavy, but that also makes it pretty stable like a 4 stroke. Suspension is good on them. The turning radius isn’t as tight as I would have liked. I ended up removing the stop bolts on the frame and inserted some very short headed ones to help. Not a bad bike if you can get a deal on it.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, THUMPERRIDER1 said:

Lol. You never know. :)

So you looking for something that is better than a YZ 250x? Saw you have owned one and then got another one. Favorite so far? 300 GasGas motor with KYB suspension just might do it.

So you looking for something that is better than a YZ 250x? Saw you have owned one and then got another one. Favorite so far? 300 GasGas motor with KYB suspension just might do it.

My 250x was dialed in. Adding parts to the GG now and need to get some time on it since I just picked it up last Friday and only had a short ride. Motor is awesome and I think with a little suspension work it’s going to be a very good race bike.
  • Like 1

It's hard to slip a mouse fart between most of the 300's this year.

As I read that I thought, "This guy has got to be Canadian". Then I scrolled up and saw the screen name.

Pretty sure this is what I've had............may be missing a few i'm getting old.............
05 YZ250
06 YZ250
08 YZ250F
08 YZ450F
08 KTM 300XC
09 KTM 200XC
09 RMZ450
09 KTM 250XCF with 280 BB kit
09 KTM 250SXF with HT320 BB kit
11 GasGas 250 Six Days
12 GasGas 300
12 YZ250F with 290 BB kit
13 Husky TXC 250
13 Husky TXC 310
14 Beta 250 RR Race Edition
14 YZ250F 
15 YZ250FX
13 KTM 250XC
16 YZ250FX
16 YZ250X
17 Husky FX350
17 KTM 250XC
16 KTM 250XCF x 2
17 YZ250FX with 270 BB kit
16 YZ250X
18 GasGas XC300

Jesus... It'd be sweet to be able to buy a new bike instead of changing the air filter.
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Goatse said:

As I read that I thought, "This guy has got to be Canadian". Then I scrolled up and saw the screen name.

:banana:   :thumbsup:

On 4/3/2018 at 0:21 PM, shrubitup said:

How did you like the 12 gasgas? There's a 13 for sale here. 

If you like the Beta for its  feel and agility, you will hate the '13 GG.  I had a '12 and my buddy still races his.  Very stable, good versatile harescrambles bike, but trail riding in the technical tight shit the Beta will walk away, riders being equal.  Turning radius is terrible even with the bolts out, as the fork is limited by the frame spars.  Zoke forks have known issues and parts are all but impossible.  Vibration was bad too, even after complete rebuild and crank balance.  I suspect from lack of head stay, as my previous GGs were fine.  Many quality issues on the '12/'13 too.  I liked my older gen GGs much better.  Still, if you sort it out its a good race bike, I almost won a class title on mine.  All that said, the '18s are awesome after a good look at a few.  They really turned it around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GP said:

If you like the Beta for its  feel and agility, you will hate the '13 GG.  I had a '12 and my buddy still races his

Thanks for saving me the agony! Would have been an albatross to try and re-sell. 

I do like the Beta just looking for a spare to the other spare. 

9 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Thanks for saving me the agony! Would have been an albatross to try and re-sell. 

I do like the Beta just looking for a spare to the other spare. 

I still say an older GG, well setup, with a set of good forks is an awesome technical trail bike, especially if your under 6' tall. They can be had for cheap and are bulletproof once gone through.

I should clarify that in my last post I meant Marzocchi parts are almost impossible to get, GG parts are no problem.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GP said:

I still say an older GG, well setup, with a set of good forks is an awesome technical trail bike, especially if your under 6' tall. They can be had for cheap and are bulletproof once gone through.

I should clarify that in my last post I meant Marzocchi parts are almost impossible to get, GG parts are no problem.

I'm 6-2 but don't have issue with beta Size now.  It turns out that it's an '11 model xc250e. Lowest he'd go is 2500$ but then I'd need to source forks.   Doesn't pencil out. 

You can try to find any '05 - '11 in the best shape / best price.  Frame is basically the same and has a good geometry, IMO.  45 Zoke forks on all of these.  The 250 motors rip.  If I wanted to build a fast, good tech woods bike that could take a beating on the cheap, I'd start here,  but I know the bikes.  A few years ago I would have said no way but now things seem stable.  Or, you could just get a '13 Beta, go through it and swap the forks. 

Congrats man, you're going to love it! I absolutely love mine, just installed a Rekluse Radius CX. The only nitpicks that I have on it, are the lack of chain adjustment marks on the swingarm, and that the stock clutch cover is not very strong, I cracked mine in a wreck that pushed the brake pedal into it, and I've seen a few others have similar issues with them, other then that, bike is awesome.

You mean like this? Lol
IMG_0336.JPG

20 miles from the truck in the middle of an extreme Enduro that I drove 300 miles to get to and I fall over on a tiny rock! I carried a tube of liquid metal in my pack for years and took it out a week prior to make room for other stuff! . Needless to say, liquid metal is back in the pack.

Replaced the cover with a Rekluse one. Very nice and came with a new brake tip too.
  • Like 1

You mean like this? Lol
IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.5cb02272f04d37ad36315fb4dce440f8.JPG

20 miles from the truck in the middle of an extreme Enduro that I drove 300 miles to get to and I fall over on a tiny rock! I carried a tube of liquid metal in my pack for years and took it out a week prior to make room for other stuff! . Needless to say, liquid metal is back in the pack.

Replaced the cover with a Rekluse one. Very nice and came with a new brake tip too.
Lol, yup, exactly like that. I replaced mine with a full rekluse radius cx.

30 minutes ago, Jetster220 said:
33 minutes ago, memphis2857 said:

You mean like this? Lol
IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.5cb02272f04d37ad36315fb4dce440f8.JPG

Read more  

Lol, yup, exactly like that. I replaced mine with a full rekluse radius cx.

ktm's have been doing that for years, trick is take a grinder and knock off the inside tooth on the brake pedal.  Before you knock a hole in the case.

ktm's have been doing that for years, trick is take a grinder and knock off the inside tooth on the brake pedal.  Before you knock a hole in the case.

You can grind all you want on the brake tip but it will still punch right through the cover on the GG. The cover is paper thin and the pedal is super close. If you look at the picture I posted you can see the outline of the entire brake tip in the clutch cover.

You can grind all you want on the brake tip but it will still punch right through the cover on the GG. The cover is paper thin and the pedal is super close. If you look at the picture I posted you can see the outline of the entire brake tip in the clutch cover.
I see that. No doubt it happens. I had a guy a couple weeks ago knock a hole in his rekluse cover. Of course no one had any liquid steel except me. Had it in my butt bag since 2001. Worked just fine.