Gasser vs. BETA

3 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Lolz :)

The Beta is cheaper though to start with.

'17 300 XC ($9100) + VF4 ($160) + PWK 38 ($300) = $9600

'18 300 RR ($8500) + Ohlins TTX fork cart ($1200) = $9700

Edit:  not sure on the TTX, it looks like you have to buy the fork springs in addition.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redrider144 said:

The Beta is cheaper though to start with.

'17 300 XC ($9100) + VF4 ($160) + PWK 38 ($300) = $9600

'18 300 RR ($8500) + Ohlins TTX fork cart ($1200) = $9700

Give one a ride first before knowingly getting the Ohlins. If it turns out you do need them then you've shown it's only $100 more than a KTM. This makes more sense than buying the race edition CC forks unless you want the high zoot graphics package.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Give one a ride first before knowingly getting the Ohlins. If it turns out you do need them then you've shown it's only $100 more than a KTM. This makes more sense than buying the race edition CC forks unless you want the high zoot graphics package.

I've been spoiled on SSS, and more recently AER.  Ohlins would probably be a must have.  Maybe I could live with the stock Sachs shock.

• Like 1

I’m in Idaho with it’s seemingly endless tight singletrack. A open cartridge fork is excellent. It seems a lot of people here need high speed performance, not sure any 2T would be my choice if that was my style of riding. Seems a 4T is better for me on open terrain IMO.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mountainmanid said:

I’m in Idaho with it’s seemingly endless tight singletrack. A open cartridge fork is excellent. It seems a lot of people here need high speed performance, not sure any 2T would be my choice if that was my style of riding. Seems a 4T is better for me on open terrain IMO.

I'm sure the stock Beta forks are ok, but I've been spoiled on great forks.  I can't go back to just ok.  The TTX Ohlins is an option though from the Beta factory, just gotta pony up the $$.

3 hours ago, kawagumby said:

You asked if this was Hollister but put that in my quote 

Yes the Renz Ranch, San Andreas drop about 40 seconds in.   I don't know how you could possibly run the pace we were on a CRF150RB or KX100. You're right alt riding the edges though,  that's the only way to go fast in there. Those are my favorite trails, I'm in there a lot.  

You there often? If so pm me where you park and I'll check for you when I'm there.  

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Yes I'm okay but I have a really stiff neck, I don't recall exactly what happened, and not because I hit so hard I was dazed but it all happened real fast.

I remember takingthe bars, more sp specifically the Scotts damper to the chest, going to the ground with the bike and then me and the bike going over and ending up under the Bush.  I had to wiggle my way out of there.    My worst crash in several years.   

Thanks for asking.  

Out there getting faster eh? The price must be paid..

image.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mountainmanid said:

I prefer oc forks but I don't know anything about suspension just how it feel...

• Like 1

I have a 2016 Beta 300rr and a 2011 Gas Gas EC250 Replica... I can't get off my Gas Gas it is the best all around machine I have ever owned. In the Beta's defense it is set up for a 6'4" tall 270 lbs rider and I am 5'8" 170 lbs... I should just sell the Beta to one of my monster size friends and keep ripping the Gas Gas.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Smokey-McCringleberry said:

image.gif

At 37 I'm still improving,  I can see how fitness from age will will soon play a bad role but yes I still have hope of being faster tomorrow than today.  My current goal is to win a D36 expert championship in the next few years.  

11 minutes ago, Adam Graf said:

I have a 2016 Beta 300rr and a 2011 Gas Gas EC250 Replica... I can't get off my Gas Gas it is the best all around machine I have ever owned. In the Beta's defense it is set up for a 6'4" tall 270 lbs rider and I am 5'8" 170 lbs... I should just sell the Beta to one of my monster size friends and keep ripping the Gas Gas.

Setup is key no doubt. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Smokey-McCringleberry said:

image.gif

Just think what he could do on a 300!

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Adam Graf said:

I agree, set up is everything but I feel it's time wasted with my Beta when I'm so happy with my old GASSER

Trust me man I understand.  I spent 20 years on the Same generation KTM.  

• Like 1

I prefer oc forks but I don't know anything about suspension just how it feel...

I actually have a race edition with the closed cartridge forks, but had to get a revalve to soften them up, they were too high speed oriented for my terrain. My point is just because the Beta forks aren’t set up the way you prefer them doesn’t make them terrible for everyone. I may not be a expert suspension guy but I know a thing or two and a lot of the discussion here is people blowing smoke up each other’s asses.
  • Like 3

Both the Sachs oc and cc forks respond very well to some simple valving.  For very little money they can be set up to perform with some of the best.  My 17 cc forks just do everything well once set up right. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mountainmanid said:

I actually have a race edition with the closed cartridge forks, but had to get a revalve to soften them up, they were too high speed oriented for my terrain. My point is just because the Beta forks aren’t set up the way you prefer them doesn’t make them terrible for everyone. I may not be a expert suspension guy but I know a thing or two and a lot of the discussion here is people blowing smoke up each other’s asses.

All I know is I spent a ton of time and money on my WP cc getting them rideable for my terrain and still prefer my stock valved oc Xplors over the full custom cc setup.

Everyone bashes oc forks like they're for slow riders but I guarantee everyone with a cc fork in my area has to have them worked on unless they super fat...

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, mountainmanid said:

I haven't seen anyone trashing the Beta suspension.  It's good to have real world feedback from guys like you and @shrubitup for sure.

But I've also also seen some not so positive talk about the stock OC stuff which makes me suspect that I'd be looking for improvement.  The two things I changed on my 300 XC aren't an issue on a Beta, as the Beta comes with a VForce reed cage and PWK carb.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kawagumby said:

Is that Hollister?   My fastest bike there on most trails is a CRF150RB big wheel.  It loves the troll trails, and Renz Ranch...that, and the KX100 I also own, can rail the smoother trail edges, which is nearly impossible to do with a full-sized bike.

Every time I hear someone mention they have a crf150rb I have to respond.  I'm currently setting one up for next year and hoping it will be a great extreme trail bike.  So far have raised the bars and moved forward, cut off the foot pegs and moved down and back, installed a 21" xr250 front wheel, lengthened the swingarm 3" and installing an 18" rear (waiting on spokes from Buchanen to lace up the wheel), and put the BBR 6.2 rear spring in.  Future plans are for Athena big bore, stage 1 cam and who knows what else. 

Great to hear yours works for you, I'm hoping the same for me.  In stock form I could not ride it worth shit, and I'm only 5'6 145 lbs. 

KIMG0460_zpszrtqsls8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Great to hear yours works for you, I'm hoping the same for me.  In stock form I could not ride it worth shit, and I'm only 5'6 145 lbs. 

That bike of yours is very nice!

My engine is stock, stock wheels, tall seat foam + about another 2", different triple to move bars forward and up, revalved front, resprung and revalved rear.  Aftermarket pegs that move back and down slightly (the ergos are pretty good for me with just that, the biggest problem I encountered was the seat to peg distance and bar position). The only thing I don't like is the tight ratio tranny,  I dropped 1 tooth on the rear - and I abuse the clutch.  Very fun to ride bike.

Edited by kawagumby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Yes the Renz Ranch, San Andreas drop about 40 seconds in.   I don't know how you could possibly run the pace we were on a CRF150RB or KX100. You're right alt riding the edges though,  that's the only way to go fast in there. Those are my favorite trails, I'm in there a lot.  

LOL, when I say fastest...I'm comparing the speed to me on my other bikes...not some young whipper-snapper.... I'm 70 years old, but can still jam for short bursts...LOL.   I love riding trails like lights out, garcia gulch, etc... but where the little bikes really shine is the troll trails.  I don't care who is on a full sized bike, the little bikes' lack of weight is an absolute equalizer. The KX100 is about 150 lbs dry, that means I can flick it around the manzanita (sp?) the roots and holes that a larger bike cannot miss. P=MV.  Great fun any time of year!

• Like 3