KTM 250 EXC TPI Owner Comments and Bike Enhancements

14 hours ago, dirtbikedaddy said:

Also a like to the levers! Are they shortened so you dont hit your ring and pinky when squeezing with 2 fingers?

Yes, I kept hitting/hurting my knuckles with the regular lever and have been really happy with the short "clever levers." They are also supposed to reduce the strength needed to pull the levers so I try to always use one finger for the clutch and brake. I only use 2 fingers when the one finger gets really tired after to much pulling in the technical stuff. Really recommend these shorter levers. There is a very good review in another blog linked below:

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 5:35 AM, ChrisOdendaal said:

Hi Bowser, do you know why the guy from FB took the Head of his new Ktm300TPI, I am thinking maybe to up his compression a bit by Machining the Head??

it is I.

i removed head and barrel for an inspection

i measured ring end-gap and piston clearance to see how its doing, ring 0.2, piston 0.04

its all still like new still so i slapped it back together with a 0.75 base gasket to reduce compression, i do not thing more compression will solve what i am trying to achieve which is to soften the explosive way it pulls off on slippery surfaces and wheel-spins. 

this was not after a plug-chop but was after a long tar ride home. it didnt "wipe" off and was the lightest layer of carbon, seriously thin, a light buff and it was clean. the head was 'washed' and very nicely tanned. this required a solvent to clean it off and i then used a scotchpad.

overall i was happy

the piston sides showed signs of riding in cold weather (four corner wear marks, NOT serious but it was there ever so slightly so i sanded lightly to help the situation) and cold weather is why i stripped it in the first place as it should be running richer in colder temps and my fuel consumption was telling me the same as it went from almost 16km/l to just over 12 and this actually worried me in that i needed to know such a jump was not wear or something else. 

end result is i was happy to run topend for another 50 hours but will watch things. 

On 2018-01-15 at 8:31 PM, ktm_fastguy said:

The beauty of the oil injection is that it is never diluted with fuel.  In fact very little if any fuel gets into the crankcase.   Straight oil lubricates much better than diluted oil which is why the oil ratio can get so lean.  This also greatly reduces HC emissions.

Coming through the throttle body is only air and oil.  This air/oil mix comes thru the reeds into the crankcase.  Then oil gets swirled around the bottom end mixing with the air and lubricating the bottom end bearings and lower cylinder/piston. 

When the piston coming down says it's time to push the air/oil mix up into the transfer ports, the fuel injectors fire at just the right moment combining fuel into the air/oil mix flow stream.  The piston coming back up closes all ports, compresses the mix and it's time to get fired up.

My question is this.  What kind of oil does KTM recommend?  Motorex pre-mix?  Same as on the carb models?

Thanks very much for explaining that, KTM_Fastguy.  Very helpful!

On 12/25/2017 at 5:17 AM, KTMfinrider said:

According poster named Sycamore your bikes are "junk". he knows because written from magazines...?

hehe, yeah they say that but some owners have been quite disappointed too.  Oil tanks leaking, the dohicky needed to prime the oil pump not at the dealers, lame mapping, lame power with some maps, mpg about the same as a carb'd bike.  In other words typically lame rollout from KTM.  lol

I never ever said they were junk.  The sensitive might think so I suppose.  I did say there just isnt enough positives about TPI to make up for the negatives.   But that's me, others feel differently and perhaps they can work out the bugs for future bikes and might some day show some real bennys over a carb.  For now the bike appears to be more government program than anything but I look forward to being wrong in the future.  Who wouldnt.

7 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

hehe, yeah they say that but some owners have been quite disappointed too.  Oil tanks leaking, the dohicky needed to prime the oil pump not at the dealers, lame mapping, lame power with some maps, mpg about the same as a carb'd bike.  In other words typically lame rollout from KTM.  lol

I never ever said they were junk.  The sensitive might think so I suppose.  I did say there just isnt enough positives about TPI to make up for the negatives.   But that's me, others feel differently and perhaps they can work out the bugs for future bikes and might some day show some real bennys over a carb.  For now the bike appears to be more government program than anything but I look forward to being wrong in the future.  Who wouldnt.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, my friend Sycamore! But I feel there is a difference in opinion from people who have ridden the bike and others just making conclusions based on some (personal/unproven although maybe informed) assumptions. There are always trade offs with everything, and I agree that the TPI benefits might not be for every tipe of rider, but I have been seeing mostly positive comments from the guys who have ridden or own these TPIs so far...!! While the negatives are from the camp trying to rationalize why the should be any good.

I am of the opinion that most bikes need a bit of tuning/personalisation to get them working just right. I remember last year when the new 2017 KTM/Huskys came out with the new Mikuni carb, they where crap until you jetted them correctly... Still, once this bug was fixed with a jetting kit, everyone agreed they where the awesome.

I a extremely happy with my 250tpi (even with the cold start glitch I have now resolved), and do appreciate the great benefits of linear power delivery, no premixing, no jetting, extender fuel efficiency, cleaner emissions, etc., etc. I am no racer, so this is exactly what I wanted and much more!!

Just my thoughts on the matter!

• Like 1

I love my TPI, the starting issue has seem to go away. I came off a 2014 300 Husaberg, I was concerned about loosing the bottom end grunt. But with the TPI and jetting being pretty much spot on compared to my berg, I feel no lose of bottom end. I hear everyone complaints about the bike being lean, it might be a little lean but not bad enough to correct. What I do suggest in re-initializing the ECM once you get it home and ride it a little, doing this really woke the bike up. People saying the bike is sprung soft, not seeing that either. I'm a mid pack A rider that weights 230, seems about right to my liking. I will probably change the seat to a Seat Concept saddle for a bit more comfort.  

2018ktmtpi.jpg

Edited by trouble_maker
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, trouble_maker said:

What I do suggest in re-initializing the ECM once you get it home and ride it a little, doing this really woke the bike up

This sounds familiar.  I seem to recall reading years back about some fuel injection ECUs being very slow to compensate for atmospheric pressure, and the fix was to reinitialize it.

I had to do this on my KTM 990 after putting on the aftermarket intake and exhaust.  After reset, seems like you were supposed to let it idle for 15 minutes.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Finidi said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, my friend Sycamore! But I feel there is a difference in opinion from people who have ridden the bike and others just making conclusions based on some (personal/unproven although maybe informed) assumptions. There are always trade offs with everything, and I agree that the TPI benefits might not be for every tipe of rider, but I have been seeing mostly positive comments from the guys who have ridden or own these TPIs so far...!! While the negatives are from the camp trying to rationalize why the should be any good.

I am of the opinion that most bikes need a bit of tuning/personalisation to get them working just right. I remember last year when the new 2017 KTM/Huskys came out with the new Mikuni carb, they where crap until you jetted them correctly... Still, once this bug was fixed with a jetting kit, everyone agreed they where the awesome.

I a extremely happy with my 250tpi (even with the cold start glitch I have now resolved), and do appreciate the great benefits of linear power delivery, no premixing, no jetting, extender fuel efficiency, cleaner emissions, etc., etc. I am no racer, so this is exactly what I wanted and much more!!

Just my thoughts on the matter!

My opinion is based on those that do have the TPI, plus my ownership of an FI 4s.  Then add the stats on the bike, then add, dyno's comparing TPI to Mikuni.  Forget about the typical KTM floppings, lets just go right to the dyno with maps that are being played with NOW.  There really isnt much benefit in power one over the other.  Pretty even.  Gas mileage is no better either, Although JD claims his last test got him 31 mpg.  That is pretty good but others are getting that with carbs too.  Lots of variables to compare, but right now the commom theme is it's about the same.

So for now no motor power benny over the carb-dyno'd.  No mileage benny over a carb. And pollution numbers while better arent really consequential in real world form

Bennys we think we know from owners--the motor is almost impossible to stall.  Discriptions like amazing are used a lot.

Maps are getting better and will continue to do so no doubt.  Supposedly they can be will will be changed quick and in the field to meet conditions.  Pretty cool

I look forward to more improvements.

6 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

My opinion is based on those that do have the TPI, plus my ownership of an FI 4s.  Then add the stats on the bike, then add, dyno's comparing TPI to Mikuni.  Forget about the typical KTM floppings, lets just go right to the dyno with maps that are being played with NOW.  There really isnt much benefit in power one over the other.  Pretty even.  Gas mileage is no better either, Although JD claims his last test got him 31 mpg.  That is pretty good but others are getting that with carbs too.  Lots of variables to compare, but right now the commom theme is it's about the same.

So for now no motor power benny over the carb-dyno'd.  No mileage benny over a carb. And pollution numbers while better arent really consequential in real world form

Bennys we think we know from owners--the motor is almost impossible to stall.  Discriptions like amazing are used a lot.

Maps are getting better and will continue to do so no doubt.  Supposedly they can be will will be changed quick and in the field to meet conditions.  Pretty cool

I look forward to more improvements.

Do I need to call uniflow in here to slap you around? ? 

• Like 1

I have the Husky version...these bikes are very good. Really responsive, and lugs like no other bike Ive had. 

Mine is not lean...it leaves a nice tan coloring on the inside of the canister...

anyone who thinks theyre lean hasn't ridden a properly jetted bike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Do I need to call uniflow in here to slap you around? ? 

lol.  I'm just keeping it real!!  

I did think of some other cool stuff about it.  Going down steep declines motors have a tendency to stall if you dont blimp the throttle.  With TPI this never happens and I call that a REAL advantage since it leaves you free to control the bike and not worry about keeping a motor running. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, trouble_maker said:

I love my TPI, the starting issue has seem to go away. I came off a 2014 300 Husaberg, I was concerned about loosing the bottom end grunt. But with the TPI and jetting being pretty much spot on compared to my berg, I feel no lose of bottom end. I hear everyone complaints about the bike being lean, it might be a little lean but not bad enough to correct. What I do suggest in re-initializing the ECM once you get it home and ride it a little, doing this really woke the bike up. People saying the bike is sprung soft, not seeing that either. I'm a mid pack A rider that weights 230, seems about right to my liking. I will probably change the seat to a Seat Concept saddle for a bit more comfort.  

2018ktmtpi.jpg

So what is the Re-initializing the ECM ??????????????????

8 minutes ago, retroone said:

So what is the Re-initializing the ECM ??????????????????

Start the bike without touching the throttle, bring bike temp up to 210*f or until coolant starts dribbling out the overflow hose, kill the engine, restart and ride. It's in the owners manual. Doing this really cleaned and woke the bike up.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, Sycamore said:

Do you own one ???

Hmm, on my KTM 300 TPI Manual, Page 137. and there is NO heating procedure described,not to mention 210F....Just start it at the new conditions (temp.,elevation..) switch off the engine, start again and check engine response-if not OK,try again the above procedure

• Like 1