KTM 250 EXC TPI Owner Comments and Bike Enhancements

On 1/18/2018 at 7:41 PM, Sycamore said:

My opinion is based on those that do have the TPI, plus my ownership of an FI 4s.  Then add the stats on the bike, then add, dyno's comparing TPI to Mikuni.  Forget about the typical KTM floppings, lets just go right to the dyno with maps that are being played with NOW.  There really isnt much benefit in power one over the other.  Pretty even.  Gas mileage is no better either, Although JD claims his last test got him 31 mpg.  That is pretty good but others are getting that with carbs too.  Lots of variables to compare, but right now the commom theme is it's about the same.

So for now no motor power benny over the carb-dyno'd.  No mileage benny over a carb. And pollution numbers while better arent really consequential in real world form

Bennys we think we know from owners--the motor is almost impossible to stall.  Discriptions like amazing are used a lot.

Maps are getting better and will continue to do so no doubt.  Supposedly they can be will will be changed quick and in the field to meet conditions.  Pretty cool

I look forward to more improvements.

Don't want to beat a dead horse with a pole here, but that is exactly my point... KTM set out to match the 2-stroke characteristics with the new TPI, hence ensuring the same feel and performance we all love from the 2T, but eliminating the pre-mixing and jetting requirements. This is precisely why the TPIs are such a hit, IMHO. You don't sacrifice the 2T feel and essence, yet you do get cleaner technology and easy of use... 

I agree that there are multiple angles on any given issue, but I precisely was looking for less user maintenance (i.e. premix ratios and jettings), more linear/manageable power delivery, while maintaining the typical 2T feel. I agree there is still much to improve, given this is the 1st gen bike, but they got a solid base from the get go.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Finidi said:

Don't want to beat a dead horse with a pole here, but that is exactly my point... KTM set out to match the 2-stroke characteristics with the new TPI, hence ensuring the same feel and performance we all love from the 2T, but eliminating the pre-mixing and jetting requirements. This is precisely why the TPIs are such a hit, IMHO. You don't sacrifice the 2T feel and essence, yet you do get cleaner technology and easy of use... 

I agree that there are multiple angles on any given issue, but I precisely was looking for less user maintenance (i.e. premix ratios and jettings), more linear/manageable power delivery, while maintaining the typical 2T feel. I agree there is still much to improve, given this is the 1st gen bike, but they got a solid base from the get go.

I guess I'm asking too much.  But if I'm getting more failure points, more up high weight, higher cost, I want more then substituting maps for jetting, a equivalent or a tad better mpg, and slightly cleaner tech (not that I care really).  

Not sure where your getting TPI is a hit?  For some it is I'm totally sure, others arent liking it all that much.  It will be real interesting to see how ktm handles sales in the future.  If both carb and TPI are available which will win out?  If TPI wins the sales game then I will call it a hit.  In EU TPI is a government program.  If it wins here it's hard to say that would still be the case.

looking forward to some real sweet bennys.  Looks like it is happening with aftermarket help like usual.  JD and PowerCDI to the rescue!  

Id like to hear from people who own and/or have ridden them, and are disappointed. I haven't found anyone yet. 

After buying mine I was actually more impressed than I thought I'd be...

Im not necessarily saying its leaps and bounds better than the carb'd bikes (Ive had tons of them). But mine is very very good.

Edited by Hammy-56
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Hammy-56 said:

Id like to hear from people who own and/or have ridden them, and are disappointed. I haven't found anyone yet. 

Im not necessarily saying its leaps and bounds better than the carb'd bikes (Ive had tons of them). But mine is very very good.

KTM talk had a few.  One bought it for Erzberg and didnt care much at all for it and went with his older bike instead.  Usually when people buy new things it's tuff to get good reliable feedback because they are in new bike glow for quite a while.  The Erzberg guy was likely on an old map

Glad you like yours, that's good news for us all if they ditch carbs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammy-56 said:

I was in love with mine but I just tore it down for low compression and found rings are shot.

16hrs on it, new piston and rings coming

Taffy on the UK forums also has had low comp issues

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bowser said:

I was in love with mine but I just tore it down for low compression and found rings are shot.

Taffy on the UK forums also has had low comp issues

thats a bummer for sure...but doesn't reflect on the "TPI vs carb" context...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sycamore said:

KTM talk had a few.  One bought it for Erzberg and didnt care much at all for it and went with his older bike instead.  Usually when people buy new things it's tuff to get good reliable feedback because they are in new bike glow for quite a while.  The Erzberg guy was likely on an old map

Glad you like yours, that's good news for us all if they ditch carbs.

thats interesting...from my research it does seem like theres been some euro mapping type growing pains.

Yes, I kept hitting/hurting my knuckles with the regular lever and have been really happy with the short "clever levers." They are also supposed to reduce the strength needed to pull the levers so I try to always use one finger for the clutch and brake. I only use 2 fingers when the one finger gets really tired after to much pulling in the technical stuff. Really recommend these shorter levers. There is a very good review in another blog linked below:

Link goes to a White Brothers thread

2 hours ago, bowser said:

Hmm.  Not enough lubrication on the rings?  I'd probably consider running 80:1 premix in the gas tank just for some peace of mind.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Hmm.  Not enough lubrication on the rings?  I'd probably consider running 80:1 premix in the gas tank just for some peace of mind.

Barrel is dull, suspect dust entry somehow. Hoping it was dust and not lubrication related.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, ktm_fastguy said:

Thanks for the video on initialization.  Good to know for my 2014 500exc.

Seems pretty much a four stroke procedure only.   Until TPI, smokers didn't have any feedback to the ECU.  That and my 250xcw won't idle like that until it's warmed up 

Thx for clarifying this.  

Very nice looking bike! Congrats.

Let us know how it runs and if you also have some of the glitches we have mentioned in these posts. 

My bike, after 35 hrs is running really sweet. All the minor bugs are gone, and the upgrades have made a very good improvement. Here some recent pics:

Foto1.jpg.27576d4b8e3266063e5cd0c8ee898188.jpg

new decals.jpg

• Like 2