KTM 250 EXC TPI Owner Comments and Bike Enhancements

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, THE KRAN said:

An incredible lack of useable information in this thread. Too bad.

What info are you looking for. Looks like you don't own one???

2 minutes ago, retroone said:

What info are you looking for. Looks like you don't own one???

2 minutes ago, retroone said:

Euro mags are saying the TPI works fine as long as there are no severe temp changes (water crossings, mud packing, etc)

Euro mags are saying the power is not linear under constantly changing loads (whoops, on/off/on/off throttle like stair steps)

Euro mags are saying the power in the bottom 3000 rpm's is lacking, especially under hard load.

• Like 1

I live in new england and constantly swamp mine and pack it with mud and have no issues. Bike is amazing. Let the skeptics be skeptics. They can run old tech and deal with the issues associated with it. They will all issues of some sort and just need to be dealt with a bit differently. 

My 250 TPI has about 25 hours on it and has not had a single issue and sees nothing but mud and water. I'll report back if I have any issues.

It Lugs like crazy and is almost impossible to stall. Doe shave wheel spin which makes it seem like its doesn't loft the front end easily but with a softer tire it will. 

I can tractor up bolder climbs in 3rd gear without any issue.

It is a better bike than I am a rider.

Edited by Andrew Nicholas
  • Like 3

How are the bikes handling modifications? Such as adding new pipes & silencers. Does it lean them out even more or is the EFI adjusting and everything's running fine? 

The 2019 TE300i and XC-W 300 TPI will be available in my area in July and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them before putting down a deposit on one... The lack of information is somewhat concerning!

Also curious. Man that 19 300 xcw tpi looks sweet.

The bike runs flawless but I have not added a pipe yet as mines still not toast. My only real observation is that if you weigh more than the max the bike is sprung for you will want to upgrade springs. I'm about 195 and i find that I cannot get proper free sag for my weight and would prefer very slightly more front spring as well.

I think the lack of info is because everyone is having to much fun riding them to comment. Not much to report. Bike runs great with zero problems. Feels like a well tuned KTM. Butter smooth with the counter balanced motor.

• Like 2

The bike runs flawless but I have not added a pipe yet as mines still not toast. My only real observation is that if you weigh more than the max the bike is sprung for you will want to upgrade springs. I'm about 195 and i find that I cannot get proper free sag for my weight and would prefer very slightly more front spring as well.
I think the lack of info is because everyone is having to much fun riding them to comment. Not much to report. Bike runs great with zero problems. Feels like a well tuned KTM. Butter smooth with the counter balanced motor.
That's encouraging. I'm just worried because of the headaches the emissions regulations have caused to the 17-18 500's.

My 16 FE501 definitely runs lean and dealer cannot remap so it's up to aftermarket options. Which there are plenty of, but not finding much for the tpi bikes.

Guess I just have to decide between The TE with linkage or the KTM with PDS...

As I understand it the direct oiling allows them to run a bit leaner on bottom as there is no washing from the fuel mixture. It's defiantly not lean on top. If anything I feel its a bit rich on top.

I raced nitro on road RC for many years and those motors turn 40+k rpm and are very sensitive to tune and lubrication issues. My estimate of the default map is derived from my RC racing experience and not dirt bike tuning.  But they are both 2 strokes and behave very much the same. 

Hello,

Just wanted to say that after 6 months on my 250 TPI, the bike is running really great! After about 30 hrs, I did have a oil leak in my carb box (just a gasket replacement issue) but aside from that, my bike is working as well as ever!!!

I just was reading up on the 2019 250-300 PTI bikes and they are exactly the same as the 2018 models. No adjustments except for minor shock, fork teaks (which they do every year but are really negligible), and a bit stronger battery which they say "provides even better starting of the engine especially at cold weather conditions and contributes to the low vehicle weight." This might be a real improvement, but no mapping changes or anything else, so that´s a confidence booster for those of us that have the 1st edition 2018 models.

Here is the link to the press release from dirtbikemag:

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/2019-ktm-off-road-2-strokes/

Best to all!!

Alex

• Like 2

I only got to ride an 18 250 tpi i don't agree with the euro mag comments about the on/off throttle. I played around with that a lot while riding it. It pulled clean from bottom to top. Even when i was in to high of a gear at an idle. 4th gear at a dead stop pulled up with no clutch feathering and wicked it wide open.  

I was sold after that i couldn't get it to bog or stall out. The one i rode had 33 hrs on it. I own a 06 yz250 which is stock cept for a gytr flywheel weight. Riding the tpi felt like cheating and the yz is a very snappy responsive bike. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SmokinJoe90 said:

I only got to ride an 18 250 tpi i don't agree with the euro mag comments about the on/off throttle. I played around with that a lot while riding it. It pulled clean from bottom to top. Even when i was in to high of a gear at an idle. 4th gear at a dead stop pulled up with no clutch feathering and wicked it wide open.  

I was sold after that i couldn't get it to bog or stall out. The one i rode had 33 hrs on it. I own a 06 yz250 which is stock cept for a gytr flywheel weight. Riding the tpi felt like cheating and the yz is a very snappy responsive bike. 

Same here, when I first got on one I TRIED to mimic this on/off throttle issue they mentioned. Never happened. Maybe an early map issue?

The bikes stalls as easy as a trials bike, as in it just doesn't stall.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, SmokinJoe90 said:

Reviews on tpi seem to be all over the map (pun intended).  I dont believe most gushing owners, and mags are spotty too.  But the common theme I do believe is the lack of stalling.  This one strikes me funny since most non-tpi 300s owners bristle at the notion of ever stalling.  lol

The extra cost of TPI could be offset by not needing a rekluse now.  Now they just need to get rid of the extra 7lbs of TPI lard.  ;) 

• Like 1

Until ypu ride one you won't understand and it felt just as light as my yz 250 actually lighter. I was expecting to feel it being it's a full on enduro bike. The only negative effects was it left me wanting one. 

I haven't bought a new dirt bike since i got my 06 brand new in 05. The newest bike i last rode was a 2010 crf250r and the ktm tpi feels like a feather compared to the crf. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmokinJoe90 said:

Until ypu ride one you won't understand and it felt just as light as my yz 250 actually lighter. I was expecting to feel it being it's a full on enduro bike. The only negative effects was it left me wanting one. 

I haven't bought a new dirt bike since i got my 06 brand new in 05. The newest bike i last rode was a 2010 crf250r and the ktm tpi feels like a feather compared to the crf. 

I've heard the same thing from 4s guys.  "You just cant feel the weight"  ;)     On ktmtalk they had a guy who had a tpi and carb bike and he definitely felt the weight difference.  I likely would too and if not dont care, 7lbs is 7lbs whether I have a numb arse or not.   It probably depends on what one does on a bike or how strong they are.  I have girly arms so maybe that's it.  ;) 

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 6:11 AM, THE KRAN said:

An incredible lack of useable information in this thread. Too bad.

Funny, I looked and looked to see any usable info on the TPI beta is putting out...  couldnt find any either...  ;) 

• Like 2

There's just no good info here.............. I guess I will have to go ride my Kreft-ed out 250 TPI

• Like 2