Bad Freeride

I would think a motorcycle would be grateful for being rescued from a show room floor where half the people walking by would sit on it and bounce the forks up and down without ever taking it out for a ride. Today it spit me off into a pile of brush and then jumped on top of me just because I drifted off the trail a little bit.  It must have been trained at the factory in ways to pin riders because I surely could not get it off me.  I said "Bad bike", "Bad bike" several times but it ignored me so I had to yell for help.  

I can't remember if it was Tiger Tanker or Bombastic One who pulled the bike off of me but that is not surprising seeing how I have reached the age where I sometimes forget what I was doing while I am doing it.

Which reminds me that this new thread is actually a shameless plug for the Shelton Dirt Rider trail clearing which is well under way for the 2018 poker runs and fun runs.  We covered a lot of ground today.  We have acquired another 2000 acres which gives us nearly 20,000, and we are still only in stage one of the long term three stage plan.  I believe we will be well over 50,000 acres when we get to stage three and I strongly suspect that John Eaton has more than that in the works.  He does not tell be everything.

There seems to be no end to the number of old trails here that have overgrown with brush since ORV access to this once well used area was shut off 13 years ago.  We had a lot of fun today searching them out.

Edited by oldgrunt
correction

nm, found the shelton dirt bikers website. 

Cool endeavor; rare to expand orv riding areas in this state. 

Edited by jrodicus100
I would think a motorcycle would be grateful for being rescued from a show room floor where half the people walking by would sit on it and bounce the forks up and down without ever taking it out for a ride. Today it spit me off into a pile of brush and then jumped on top of me just because I drifted off the trail a little bit.  It must have been trained at the factory in ways to pin riders because I surely could not get it off me.  I said "Bad bike", "Bad bike" several times but it ignored me so I had to yell for help.  
I can't remember if it was Tiger Tanker or Bombastic One who pulled the bike off of me but that is not surprising seeing how I have reached the age where I sometimes forget what I was doing while I am doing it.
Which reminds me that this new thread is actually a shameless plug for the Shelton Dirt Rider trail clearing which is well under way for the 2018 poker runs and fun runs.  We covered a lot of ground today.  We have acquired another 2000 acres which gives us nearly 20,000, and we are still only in stage one of the long term three stage plan.  I believe we will be well over 50,000 acres when we get to stage three and I strongly suspect that John Eaton has more than that in the works.  He does not tell be everything.
There seems to be no end to the number of old trails here that have overgrown with brush since ORV access to this once well used area was shut off 13 years ago.  We had a lot of fun today searching them out.

Watch out some tree hugger will set fire to your 50,000 acre plot and call it a freak lightning strike. Environmentalist cry bully

They plan having events there? If so would you need to be a member to ride the event?

1 hour ago, moto-foto said:

Watch out some tree hugger will set fire to your 50,000 acre plot and call it a freak lightning strike. Environmentalist cry bully

Luckily those types live across the water. The locals, business owners, and media in mason county seem totally cool with the plan.  We stopped in town yesterday (after riding a different area) for chinese food and the waitress said "you guys ride our "new" trail ! " . Thought it was cool she even knew about it.

Edited by highmarker
35 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

They plan having events there? If so would you need to be a member to ride the event?

Russ Henry will be having one of his charity events some time in march. I do not think a specific date has been set, as the details of that event are not finalized from what i have heard.

Tacoma Motorcycle Club will be holding the WetDuck Poker run in the middle of April, i do not remember the date off the top of my head.

These 2 events are set in stone and there are 2 more events in the works. They are open to the public, that is the purpose of these events. To expand even further we need to grow the membership. 

In the coming months both of these events will be promoted a lot, so everyone will know about these events if they read the threads.

Luckily those types live across the water. The locals, business owners, and media in mason county seem totally cool with the plan.  We stopped in town yesterday (after riding a different area) for chinese food and the waitress said "you guys ride our "new" trail ! " . Thought it was cool she even knew about it.

Did you say that with a accent ; )

I hope when I’m as experienced as Dutch I’m half as cool!!

Dutch, you have no idea how motivating and appreciated you are. 

They broke the mold!!

6 hours ago, Engstrom said:

According to John. You don't have to be a member to participate in the events. As of now the work parties are focusing on getting around 50 miles of single track ready for the Tacoma Motorcycle Club Poker Run on April 17th. We should have the trails ready by the second week of March. As of now. Off Road Riders For Veterans will be having the first event March 9,10 and 11. Details to come very soon ! It is going to be a awesome event !

Yesterday we gps recorded a large section of old track. With only a little work we will add a fair number of miles

C420EF43-F3B5-47F1-82D1-C736DE0F5801.jpeg

82E7A55E-2707-453B-A31D-507F66BA9CA7.jpeg

20,000 acres is 30 square miles. 

So, imagine 7 miles long by 4 miles wide...

for all you “losing all our trails” folks, join up and roll up your sleeves and add some miles of track.  

Or are you waiting for the government to do it for you?

5 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

I hope when I’m as experienced as Dutch I’m half as cool!!

Dutch, you have no idea how motivating and appreciated you are. 

They broke the mold!!

Completely agree.

Joe

15 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

According to John. You don't have to be a member to participate in the events. As of now the work parties are focusing on getting around 50 miles of single track ready for the Tacoma Motorcycle Club Poker Run on April 17th. We should have the trails ready by the second week of March. As of now. Off Road Riders For Veterans will be having the first event March 9,10 and 11. Details to come very soon ! It is going to be a awesome event !

If so and I am understanding it right you’ll only get members for the ride only. When I talked to him to ride for the day you had to pay the insurance fee for entire year which was the full membership. So if you to an enduro or event you’d have to coug up  $200+ for entry fees?

1 hour ago, Engstrom said:

If so and I am understanding it right you’ll only get members for the ride only. When I talked to him to ride for the day you had to pay the insurance fee for entire year which was the full membership. So if you to an enduro or event you’d have to coug up  $200+ for entry fees?

One of the purposes of these events is to expose this great riding area to non-members so that they will become members. I will confirm with John this week then produce the flyer.

Based on my last conversation with John. I purchase event insurance. Both members and non members pay what ever fee we charge to participate and I give the land owners a cut of the gross fees.

I think your gonna get very few members participating in the events. If they have to pay a fee to ride an event that is on land they already have access to, then you might be asking a lot out of the SDR members. You also going to have members who have time and sweat into making these events run, to ask them to pay a fee on top of that is probably to much to ask of most members. We can go in during the week before and ride those trails without paying anymore. Also what is stopping us from going to a none event gate and riding, unless John shuts access off to members during the events. There has to be some incentive to the current membership to want to participate in both getting the area ready and the events. I get that when we will have some great trails after these events, but that might not be enough for most members.

Geez, its a charity event.

4 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Geez, its a charity event.

I know Russ`s event is a charity event, but that is not the only event taking place on SDR land. The Wetduck is not a charity event and the event that will draw the most people. I was referring to all the events.

I know Russ`s event is a charity event, but that is not the only event taking place on SDR land. The Wetduck is not a charity event and the event that will draw the most people. I was referring to all the events.

Ok, that makes more sense. Carry on.
8 hours ago, Bombastic One said:

I think your gonna get very few members participating in the events. If they have to pay a fee to ride an event that is on land they already have access to, then you might be asking a lot out of the SDR members. You also going to have members who have time and sweat into making these events run, to ask them to pay a fee on top of that is probably to much to ask of most members. We can go in during the week before and ride those trails without paying anymore. Also what is stopping us from going to a none event gate and riding, unless John shuts access off to members during the events. There has to be some incentive to the current membership to want to participate in both getting the area ready and the events. I get that when we will have some great trails after these events, but that might not be enough for most members.

SDR member rights are not affected by organized events.  All Russ is alluding to is the fact that anyone who wants to compete in the organized events must pay whatever entree fee the organizer(s) of the event are charging.  That said, SDR members not entering the events will be expected to be aware of organized events and do their best to avoid riding in the opposite direction of the course layout to avoid head on collisions.

11 hours ago, Engstrom said:

The insurance fee for the entire year is $33. It is Green Diamond's requirement that anyone riding a motorcycle or quad on their property be covered by an insurance policy that specifically protects Green Diamond.   Anyone who paid the $33 for the one day access to the land would not have to pay it again if they decided to become a member.  The membership fees at present are $99 per year for bike riders and $199 per year for quad riders, plus $33 for insurance.  The difference in fees is results from Green Diamond's position that four wheeled ORV's can do a lot more damage to trees and cause much more erosion problems than two wheeled ORV's do. They won't even allow jeeps or side by sides on their property.

Organized events are covered by the insurance policy which the event organizer pays for.  The organizer covers that expense with the entree fees.  Therefor, a non SDR member does not have to be covered by the SDR insurance or join SDR to ride organized events on SDR leased land because he or she will sign the normal liability release that is required at any ORV event.  When the general public is invited to enter an organized event on SDR leased land it is no different than entering an organized event in the Tahuya or Capitol Forests so long as they signed the liability release.  

Edited by oldgrunt
addition
11 hours ago, oldgrunt said:

SDR member rights are not affected by organized events.  All Russ is alluding to is the fact that anyone who wants to compete in the organized events must pay whatever entree fee the organizer(s) of the event are charging.  That said, SDR members not entering the events will be expected to be aware of organized events and do their best to avoid riding in the opposite direction of the course layout to avoid head on collisions.

The insurance fee for the entire year is $33. It is Green Diamond's requirement that anyone riding a motorcycle or quad on their property be covered by an insurance policy that specifically protects Green Diamond.   Anyone who paid the $33 for the one day access to the land would not have to pay it again if they decided to become a member.  The membership fees at present are $99 per year for bike riders and $199 per year for quad riders, plus $33 for insurance.  The difference in fees is results from Green Diamond's position that four wheeled ORV's can do a lot more damage to trees and cause much more erosion problems than two wheeled ORV's do. They won't even allow jeeps or side by sides on their property.

Organized events are covered by the insurance policy which the event organizer pays for.  The organizer covers that expense with the entree fees.  Therefor, a non SDR member does not have to be covered by the SDR insurance or join SDR to ride organized events on SDR leased land because he or she will sign the normal liability release that is required at any ORV event.  When the general public is invited to enter an organized event on SDR leased land it is no different than entering an organized event in the Tahuya or Capitol Forests so long as they signed the liability release.  

cool. thats alot easier to swallow than paying out some huge price for one event