Looking at new ATV's

I currently have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler. It has always been super reliable but does not have power steering. As I transition from two wheels to four wheels (age related) I want a newer model with power steering. Naturally I started my selection process with the Polaris brand. As my investigative process got farther along it seemed like the Polaris brand had let their quality slip. A lot of negative comments regarding the dealerships and Polaris corporate people who have the final say in what is warrantied and what is not. So, I started my research on Can Am's. Not nearly as much negativity but still some there. I know angry consumers can make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes but also believe where there is smoke there is fire. Anybody out there care to the weigh into this conversation with information or experiences regarding these models or other models ?

• 1 month later...

I have a both Polaris an Can-Am and the Can-Am is my go-to machine. I know on some of the newer 1000's they get hot and melt plastics. I would look for a used stock 800 or get a new 850 Outlander if I was buying one again. You are right though they both have their issues. Usually the people that are complaining are the onese abusing the machines too. I just stay away from 1000s unless its a side by side. Just my two cents.

I'm on my 2nd outlander 800 and I love it. I had a grizzly 660 and a brute force 750 prior. The can am needs skid plates,fender flares,and the frame reinforcement mod, but after that you're golden. It's a little different than working on a japanese machine (they through-bolt everything, very few captive nuts---minor gripe). It's FAST, comfy and fun. I work it too and it has held up well. Good luck-yo

On 2017-12-24 at 11:04 AM, KAWBOYBILL said:

I currently have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler. It has always been super reliable but does not have power steering. As I transition from two wheels to four wheels (age related) I want a newer model with power steering. Naturally I started my selection process with the Polaris brand. As my investigative process got farther along it seemed like the Polaris brand had let their quality slip. A lot of negative comments regarding the dealerships and Polaris corporate people who have the final say in what is warrantied and what is not. So, I started my research on Can Am's. Not nearly as much negativity but still some there. I know angry consumers can make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes but also believe where there is smoke there is fire. Anybody out there care to the weigh into this conversation with information or experiences regarding these models or other models ?

I owned a 2008 Sportsman 500efi, 2014 Sportsman 400ho, and currently a 2017 Polaris Ranger 570efi.  All great machines, all purchased new,  all from the same dealer (bought a sled from them too back in 2003).  The dealer treats me very well.  The only issue I had was with the 2014.  It had a seal leak from the front diff with maybe 15 hours on the machine.  Against my better judgement I took it to our local dealer at the start of hunting season.  They had it for 5 weeks before I got it back to discover it still leaking.  Took it back in and insisted they retify in short order.  Turns out the shaft was warped and had eaten the brand new seal.  So they promptly replaced the shaft, pinion, and some other internal parts.  Would have been about $550 but they covered it under warranty.  That time they had it for two weeks....so 7 weeks total and by then I had missed out on using it for hunting.

I am sure if I would had taken the two hour drive back to my regular dealer instead of taking my chances on the dealer 15 minutes away, they would have fixed it up in short order.  This was my only issue ever with a Polaris and the machine was good after that.

I'm a big fan of Polaris.  I love the tide feel, and I think their pricing is pretty reasonable compared to a lot of their competition, but I'm sure Canam is a fine machine also.

Thanks for the input. Based on further research I would probably get the 650 if I went with Can AM and the 570 if Polaris. My current Polaris is a 500 and it has done everything I have ever wanted to do so I am not sure the benefits of buying a larger cc machine. Also what is the deal with the frame mod on the Can Am ?

38 minutes ago, KAWBOYBILL said:

Thanks for the input. Based on further research I would probably get the 650 if I went with Can AM and the 570 if Polaris. My current Polaris is a 500 and it has done everything I have ever wanted to do so I am not sure the benefits of buying a larger cc machine. Also what is the deal with the frame mod on the Can Am ?

I use skid plates so I haven't been worried about the frame. I hit a lot of rocks and like going over logs with a 1000+ lb machine counting the machine + me + portals + 29.5 OL2s and other hardware. No frame issues.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, Yzmaster said:

Get one of the old 400 2 stroke sportsman’s reliable and powerful!

no thanks, I rode one for a day...torture....and forget trying to replace a starter

1 hour ago, KAWBOYBILL said:

The can am has a 'spar' frame. It's like a hollow 2x4 and vulnerable to denting. Especially if you cross RR tracks (I have to a lot). You cut open the rear of the frame at the hitch and slide in a reinforcement. I made the first one out of 3 pieces of 1 1/4 square tubing welded together, the 2nd bike got the fancy alloy jobbie....but it works the same. There's lots of tutorial videos how to do it.

If I use my new 4-wheeler like I used the old one, denting up the frame would certainly be a possibility. I go with a group to the Colorado Rockies each year and there are plenty of rocks around. Is it just a matter of how it looks or is there structural damage to be concerned with ? I had thoughts of purchasing the protection kit.  

Was out running around yesterday so I decided to stop at the local Can Am dealer to look at the models on the showroom floor. Of particular interest to me was the The Spar type frame on their product offerings. It looks like they have replaced it with a step ladder type frame. I would think that would be an opportunity to hook on anything that was higher than the ground clearance of the machine. I had thought of adding the undercarriage kit anyway but now I would assume it to be a must. I really like the looks and the power packages they offer but am concerned about this design. I have not looked at any other brands to see how they are built yet.