dainova

XR100 2001 Mixture adj screw replacement Keihin PD

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I just completed my first ride on 2001 Honda XR100, while checking it idle was perfect low and stable, then on trail I lost it and fixed with cable , and now I see that I'm missing mixture screw (!), #1 like on this stock photo. What a  surprise.  I have stock  KeiHin PD  C3LARG carb, with Main=38, Pilot = 35S, and I'm not really in mountains (San Francisco).  

Just want get guru advice if there  cable type of that screw to easy operate, otherwise I think you need with super short driver from underneath??  I never did this yet, so appreciate your advice.

Also if there is not any leakage, do you think it worth to go with all kit replacement (gaskets,etc..), I looking just to replace that adj screw and try it.  Or do you have set of other jets to try ???

Tx + Happy Holidays

Dai

valve  .05mm on T

k1[1].jpg

Edited by dainova

If you pull the carb apart for a cleaning and don't know the historyof the bike it is worthwhile to get a complete rebuild kit so everything is fresh. Most kids come with everything including oem sized jets, needle, mixture screw etc.. . After rebuilding the carb set the mixture screw to oem setting. If everything is clean, valves adjusted properly and ignition timing is spot on then you rally shouldn't have to mess with the mixture screw. Just set the idle where you need it and go. And yes, it takes a shorty flat blade screwdriver to adjust one it's re-installed on the bike.

1 person likes this

I'm from the South Bay originally and mostly rode Metcalf, Hollister and Carnegie on my xr200r running oem jets and settings. Ran perfect and the only time i had to do any adjustments was when i went up into Tahoe area and Eastern Sierras.

These small Honda engines are almost bulletproof.
Valves RARELY need adjusting, you can't adjust the timing.
If the carb is good it'll run.
Also - great pic with your question.
That screw should be about 1 & 1/4 turns from full in. 

Edited by arthur6

1 hour ago, arthur6 said:

These small Honda engines are almost bulletproof.
Valves RARELY need adjusting

I'm glad you said "almost bulletproof"...........................as the most of them are destroyed from lack of basic maintenance and end up as scrap way before their time!   Valves "rarely" get adjusted..........or any other maintenance done! ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al
1 person likes this

Agree with Old School Al. Doesn't take much to pull the valve cover and flywheel cover to make sure the camshaft timing and valves are properly adjusted and check condition of cam chain & tension. Especially since it sounds like OP went on a first ride on it and might not know the maintenance history (if any).

On ebay there was a guy that sells easy fuel screw adjusters.  Not the China ones, he was from Texas or something.   didn't see them right now, but you might want to keep an eye out for them.

Tx,I did check it, all looks fine, less this screw and I got it from guy and I order easy one too.  I think that main jet are not getting bad, that caliber whole stay the same, am I right ,

I don't see the reason to replace 10 yo jet with same cauge new one,  what is your opinion.

Also would like to confirm for valve adjust, we do it on cold engine (  Yes/No) ?

Tx again to all

V

On 1/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, socalxr said:

On ebay there was a guy that sells easy fuel screw adjusters.  Not the China ones, he was from Texas or something.   didn't see them right now, but you might want to keep an eye out for them.

I have this saved in my list for my xr200r. I've always wondered about it and want to try it. Seller goes by wincycles out of Miami.

Screenshot_2018-01-03-08-16-12.png

Yep that is the one.  They are better than stock, but I wish the screw thing was longer so it would be below the bowl.

2 people like this

Longer and knob drilled with small holes or dished to lighten it up some would make it better. Still an improvement over the puny stocker.