whats the secret to maintain a white sm ?

8 minutes ago, Aimara said:

i actually tried toothpaste  , baking soda and h2o2 mixed , didnt try kerosene and soft scrub before , after the clean down , can i spray anything protective on it , or just wax it ?

Well, you're a little out of my wheel house with waxing, my bike gets cleaned, then destroyed in the dirt again.  I understand a SM is a different animal.  I would wax it if it were me, spray on stuff seems messya, and like the same amount of work.  Hard to beat a hand wax job.

• Like 2

The best way to keep a white bike looking new is wash it after every ride. If your trying to keep the underside of your fenders looking brand new that is an exercise in futility. Rocks and debris will make make dirty pockmarks. Bleach White and a nylon brush does a great job on already scratched and stained white plastic.

I had a white LTZ400 for a couple years along with 2 white Raptors, main thing to keeping  white to remain white was to wash the mud of as soon as possible , I just used a normal car wash-n-wax and with a sponge or one of those washing mitts to physically clean the plastics . Maybe it was because of the steady wax that I used but the plastic never stained or got dingy . Grease or anti-sieze simply wiped right off . I'd never use anything even vaguely abrasive on plastics , about the worst thing for them , you want that top smooth , shinny surface intact otherwise the gunk gets deeper and doesn't clean easy. If you had already used any scotch-bright pad on them it's already too late , there isn't one version that won't wreck the top layer . All that can be done now is either buy a new set , or continue basically sanding the surface , albeit fairly fine grit but still doing the same thing .

These pictures were taken when it was about 3 years old . You can see the underside airbox where I never really washed good was always that dirty brown color after while even when I scrubbed it for pictures but yet the fender underside stayed nice and white .

Smmr 20040017.jpg

Smmr 20040018.jpg

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Purple Power from Autozone and a pressure washer....2-3 gallon bottle is about $9.  I wash my white Husky FE450 after every ride and the it’s still just as bright after a year of riding. Don’t let the dirt/mud sit more than a day and you’ll be fine. Had dirt rubbed into the clear gas tank that the pressure washer/Purple Power didn’t get out, so I used a green scrub pad from underneath my sink with some Soft Scrub and it came out perfect!

Edited by stalspeed
Misspelling
  • Like 1

Like jjktmrider said, Scotchbrite pads are the worst thing you can use on plastic followed by paper towels. That green scrub pad from the kitchen sink is Scotchbrite.  Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are Scotchbrite pads. Soft Scrub is an abrasive cleaner (think Comet Cleanser).  jjktmrider has the best method followed by a good paste or liquid wax (not spray wax).  That clear shiny outer surface on your plastic is pretty when new but is easily marred with improper cleaning.  A dirty towel used to dry it can easily scratch the coating, and it is next to impossible to remove the scratches unless you are well versed in plastic polishing.