DR-350SE Lightening

I would like to reduce the weight of my DR-350SE and the only ways that come to mind are 1) Replace the battery with a Lithium Ion battery.  2) Replace the stock exhaust system with an aftermarket system.  3) Replace the stock gas tank with a plastic tank.  I don't think that any one of these changes will result in a significant loss of weight, but they are the only places I can see to reduce the weight of the bike.  Any thoughts on this subject will be appreciated!

You could take off the passenger pegs, if you haven't already.  With their brackets, they're fairly heavy.

• Like 1

the steel brake light and turn signal assembly could be replaced with something much lighter. could also replace the front and rear fenders with lighter/more modern assemblies. a bunch of steel parts can be replace with aluminum (see the above linked thread). titanium footrests would be lower and give more foot room. replace steel bolts with aluminium or titanium bolts. tonnes of stuff you can do, depends on desired cost/benefit ratio

On 12/31/2017 at 0:41 AM, BLBNGR said:

You could take off the passenger pegs, if you haven't already.  With their brackets, they're fairly heavy.

I took them off.  My highly accurate(?) bathroom scales say that I weigh 155.7 lbs with out the passenger pegs and 158.7 lbs with them.  So three pounds lost right there!

Thanks!

I had the front forks off the other day to correct the oil level and I weighed the components while I had them off.  Left fork leg, 10.5 lbs.  Right fork leg, 10.5 lbs.  Front wheel/tire, 19.4 lbs.

So learn to wheelie really well and you've lost 40.4 lbs!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BLBNGR said:

So learn to wheelie really well and you've lost 40.4 lbs!

I guess I should get a Uni-cycle and start practicing!

As I recently purchased a 94 Suzuki DR350SE Model R , I'm also looking to reduce some weight(on the BIKE).

I feel the biggest initial lose could be the exhaust can.
What slip-on unit is the favorite of you folks?

The replacement plastic gas tank is definitely a win on one point. Capacity.
But more capacity equals more weight. So keep that in mind.
Just saying .

The bike has a 4.7gal Acerbic tank already installed.
I pulled the passenger pegs, I'm leaving the rear fender thingy on for now.
Talk to me about an aftermarket Can that could work w/
factory jetting.
Thanks, G.

Quick update:
I elected to keep the original exhaust can as it's in VG condition and honestly not that heavy. Plus the reliability and tuning factors.
K.I.S.S. at this point.
And a correction, 4.25 gal. Acerbic tank. Ride safe. G.

• Like 1