Enough Swiss cheese on my Air Box??

Just curious if you guys think this is enough ventilation on my husky air box? I didn’t want to butcher it a whole lot but didn’t know if it would need more then what I did here. Seen some plastic around the ECU I could cut out but wasn’t sure it was necessary. Tried to keep it OEM looking as I could 

E0E3C5CE-37D8-4AE2-86A0-F2EF058F47DE.jpeg

727B03E2-E303-4E01-8AD6-9CCE80721A8C.jpeg

Didn't know it was a cover...gonna chop mine up . Thanks for the photo/ info.

replacement is only $7.70 at rockymountain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbest said:

Rule of thumb is to have an opening slightly larger area than the carb throat. This is pointless overkill.

727B03E2-E303-4E01-8AD6-9CCE80721A8C.jpeg

You own a 17/18 husky? There’s a number plate side panel that snaps on top of that covers these holes, maybe a 1/8”-1/4 gap between holes and gaurd. It’s not like these are exposed ram air holes. I seen some other people who cut there stuff up wayyyy more then I did. I was thinking mine might not be enough by looking at other people’s. Hell if the magazines and big name parts manufactures say cut up the box there must be more to it. I’m not sure your rule of thumb is accurate for all air box designs. There’s not much volume in these new air boxes. 

• Like 3

Cut up waaaayyyy more than yours ?! I doubt that dude. It looks like if you went even a LITTLE more than yours there would be nothing left of the plastic. Definitely overkill but it’s your bike ! 

6 minutes ago, Hus807 said:

Cut up waaaayyyy more than yours ?! I doubt that dude. It looks like if you went even a LITTLE more than yours there would be nothing left of the plastic. Definitely overkill but it’s your bike ! 

8B445D64-C7C0-421A-AA60-19DF4A7FB118.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hus807 said:

8B445D64-C7C0-421A-AA60-19DF4A7FB118.jpeg

So wait you said I went over board... and you post a pic of MXA who wacked the entire panel out I put holes in and then drilled a bunch of holes in the $300 carbon sub frame? 

• Like 2

Ya my fault I didn’t write enough detail. I meant I would have only put the same size holes they did but in the piece that you did it in. Cutting out the whole panel =no bueno. 

IMO, you want the air to flow in from the back of the airbox not from the side at a 90 or more degree angle. 

Think I saw Jason Anderson's supercross Husky 450 bike had holes in the side of the air box.......

There's an article on this very subject in the Feb issue of MXA.

The CRM factory Husky full CF subframe uses what we see as handholds on our consumer bikes as the main air intakes for the airbox.

The mold is also much more open and the internal volume is more open layout architecture in its design. You will still see the teams punch nice sized holes in the LHS cover to allow more air to come directly in from the side to feed airfilter.

CRM subframe..jpg

We did this in ours. I was voting for the right side in order to have all the work under the panal and hidden, but the guy insisted on drilled holes anyway....so we did both sides.IMG_20171022_1547114.jpgIMG_20171023_1615531.jpg

People are nuts, it only needs a couple of extra holes in the side panel.  

• Like 1

Tried it on one bike, I couldn't feel the difference so I leave them stock now 

I cut some holes per the ktm husky video on you tube or what I would consider minimal holes and none on the side number plates