CZ Rebuild

I thought I would try to do a rebuild thread of a CZ I rescued from the trash.

As posted elsewhere I picked up this CZ that was sitting curb side a few minutes before the trash man showed up. I should add the trash man was going to claim it for his own, not throw it in his truck.

It doesn't roll, the piston moved with the kicker once, now its locked.

IMG_2570.JPG.e98dd92fed3b815362430c788508a09d.JPG

It was setup as good as they get for back in the day.  Motoplat ignition, reed valve with 36mm Bing, air shocks and forks I'm not sure what they are. High pipe? I don't know the brand? 

Started disassembly, looking better already.

5a4960f1ce0b0_20171231_130417(2).jpg.27c00a34b5430e853bb3a30b38033fe1.jpg

So its begun, don't expect daily or even weekly updates. This could take a year or more. 

• Like 7

Those are stock 1975/76 air shocks The frame has been highly modified so it is hard to tell what year is. I wasn't a fan of the Bing carb but some people liked them. There were two different motoplat ignitions, one with a internal rotor and one with a small flywheel. The one with the flywheel is better on the 380. I have a full set of cz tools if you need anything.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BigDaddy22 said:

As posted elsewhere I picked up this CZ that was sitting curb side a few minutes before the trash man showed up. I should add the trash man was going to claim it for his own, not throw it in his truck.

It was setup as good as they get for back in the day.  Motoplat ignition, reed valve with 36mm Bing, air shocks and forks I'm not sure what they are. High pipe? I don't know the brand? 

So its begun, don't expect daily or even weekly updates. This could take a year or more. 

Have you no decency, put that thing inside somewhere. The trash man would probably have given it a better home. :rant:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, prandalljackson said:

Those are stock 1975/76 air shocks The frame has been highly modified so it is hard to tell what year is. I wasn't a fan of the Bing carb but some people liked them. There were two different motoplat ignitions, one with a internal rotor and one with a small flywheel. The one with the flywheel is better on the 380. I have a full set of cz tools if you need anything.

I will pull cover to see which type Motoplat it has. Thanks for your generous off to loan out your tools. Much appreciated.

YHGeo... The bike is inside now, no need to worry. Just had to be sure that all the critters were evicted before moving indoors.

20171229_123502.thumb.jpg.ff8c0a2bc82adf8ff01f4493b9e9870a.jpg

I think it's 380cc, but this pipe (even if it was cleared of debris) looks like it wouldn't let a 250 breath free.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

What's the first few digits of the serial number?  I'm guessing it's from between 77 and 79.  The tag on the steering head that would have the chassis S/N appears to be gone, but maybe the engine number is still visible.  Just about any part you would need is available from Charlie Richardson at CRHighPerformance.com .   There's also one remaining CZ dealer in the U.S., go to bertusjawacz.com .   Both of these guys are near Los Angeles, CA.  Personally, I have only dealt with Charlie and have been super-impressed with his rebuilds, parts supply, and helpfulness.  Bertus is (I think) Dutch and still has contacts with former CZ factory workers who make replacement parts in the Czech Republic.  

Good luck with your rebuild.  I recently sold my CZ 250, but still have my  CZ 380 that I race in various vintage MX events up and down the west coast.  They're great bikes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Charles said:

Just about everybody on this forum is Badass. You appreciate everybody else projects and then jump in to help. I don't see real put downs or arrogance.

Maybe in the vintage section but I have saw a ton of smartazz's over where the younger generation hangs out (talking about newer bikes)..

Edited by dwil4
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 10:16 PM, BigDaddy22 said:

LOVE IT!

Well rescued.

Mine was a `76 250 and had an identical tank shape but was polished ALUMINIUM.

Hubs and maybe fork lowers were magnesium.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MotoMac said:

What's the first few digits of the serial number?  I'm guessing it's from between 77 and 79.  The tag on the steering head that would have the chassis S/N appears to be gone, but maybe the engine number is still visible.  Just about any part you would need is available from Charlie Richardson at CRHighPerformance.com .   There's also one remaining CZ dealer in the U.S., go to bertusjawacz.com .   Both of these guys are near Los Angeles, CA.  Personally, I have only dealt with Charlie and have been super-impressed with his rebuilds, parts supply, and helpfulness.  Bertus is (I think) Dutch and still has contacts with former CZ factory workers who make replacement parts in the Czech Republic.  

Good luck with your rebuild.  I recently sold my CZ 250, but still have my  CZ 380 that I race in various vintage MX events up and down the west coast.  They're great bikes.

Thanks for the link to CRHighPerfomance.com, I was wondering of connecting rod kits were available or not and see he's got them. That was one of my concerns should this need a rod.

Engine number starts with 980*9*00.... and has the internal rotor Motoplat.

Cleaned up the Bing carb in an ultra sonic bath. Rusty parts got soaked in Metal Rescue. Came out OK, new jets installed. Can't read the needle so will wait till running for that. PO did some rough cutaway mod to the slide too, smoothed it out as much as I dared. looks close to breaking thru. He also shortened the return spring.

Main=160, Piolet= 35, Needle Jet=285, Needle ?IMG_2588.JPG

5a4b7dcf2c522_20171231_121858(2).jpg.bfba069d6b112f3f889bc1e07e6e8d00.jpg

Edited by BigDaddy22
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BigDaddy22 said:

Thanks for the link to CRHighPerfomance.com, I was wondering of connecting rod kits were available or not and see he's got them. That was one of my concerns should this need a rod.

Engine number starts with 980*9*00.... and has the internal rotor Motoplat.

Cleaned up the Bing carb in an ultra sonic bath. Rusty parts got soaked in Metal Rescue. Came out OK, new jets installed. Can't read the needle so will wait till running for that. PO did some rough cutaway mod to the slide too, smoothed it out as much as I dared. looks close to breaking thru. He also shortened the return spring.

Main=160, Piolet= 35, Needle Jet=285, Needle ?

980.9 would be a 1975-76 Falta Replica 250.   Nice bike and well worth restoring. 

CR has just about any parts you might need.  If the mechanical condition of the engine turns out to be more than you think you can handle, just box up the whole engine (including carb).  I'd recommend at least cleaning up at least the outside, and let him know it's coming first.  When I sent my 380 to him, I just said "tear it apart, tell me what needs to be replace, and tell me what it will cost".  It won't be cheap, but it will come back perfect....and fast! 

I'm not familiar with the Bing carbs, as I've had the VM series Mikuni carbs all my CZs.  I think a lot of people would agree that Mikuni are the easiest to tune and brand new ones, jetted to your specs, are available for less than $150.  The U.S. distributor for Mikuni carbs and parts is SUDCO (www.sudco.com/carburetors.html).  

Do you plan to race it in Vintage MX events or just show it and have an occasional ride in a field somewhere?  

Please post photos and narrative as your restoration proceeds.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1