Best exhaust for us 85

Hey I’m looking for a pipe or maybe pipe and silencer an I know I know that’s not the best way to increase lap times but I’m just looking to make my bike mine. That being said I do want a pipe that’s not going take top end away or a linear power band. I want a snappy throttle and a power band that hits as hard as if the stock pipe was on and a high rev. I looked at a works pipe and fmf. The fmf said it increased power throughout the range. That makes it sound like a linear power band and the works pipe didn’t say much. Any suggestions

FMF 'works' pipe is commonly made from thinner material for weight savings (also dents easier)

and is also bare un-plated metal so requires upkeep to prevent rusting.

(wiped down with WD-40 after each wash, occasional scrubbing with a Scotchbrite pad etc.)

Edited by mlatour
FMF 'works' pipe is commonly made from thinner material for weight savings (also dents easier)
and is also bare un-plated metal so requires upkeep to prevent rusting.
(wiped down with WD-40 after each wash, occasional scrubbing with a Scotchbrite pad etc.)

I was looking at a procercuit pipe silencer combo IMG_1827.jpg I was getting the shorty and the platinum will the platinum rust and will it increase top end and all that I mentioned above

I don't know about a YZ85 but for a YZ125 it is common for the FMF Fatty to broaden the powerband

and a Pro Circuit pipe to loose a bit of low end in favor of some top end power & overev gains.

A shorty's effect is debatable, on many bikes you gain a bit of 'hit' when the engine comes on the pipe but,

it runs out of steam sooner and doesn't have as much overev.

Myself think it's a lot of money invested for not much gain,

stock late model Yamaha pipes and silencers are very good and often designed for best overall power characteristics.

If there were any major gains to be had, Yamaha would have done it already.

Rather invest that 315$ in always having a fresh top end, good reeds (Boyesen Carbon in your stock cage), fresh silencer packing

and a few spare jets to fine tune your engine.

and still have leftover cash to refurb your suspension fluids, tires, chain etc. etc.

Shiny pipes and graphics on clapped out bikes are for show, fresh engine and suspension are for go.

Edited by mlatour
I don't know about a YZ85 but for a YZ125 it is common for the FMF Fatty to broaden the powerband
and a Pro Circuit pipe to loose a bit of low end in favor of some top end power & overev gains.

A shorty's effect is debatable, on many bikes you gain a bit of 'hit' when the engine comes on the pipe but,
it runs out of steam sooner and doesn't have as much overev.

Myself think it's a lot of money invested for not much gain,
stock late model Yamaha pipes and silencers are very good and often designed for best overall power characteristics.
If there were any major gains to be had, Yamaha would have done it already.

Rather invest that 315$ in always having a fresh top end, good reeds (Boyesen Carbon in your stock cage), fresh silencer packing
and a few spare jets to fine tune your engine.
and still have leftover cash to refurb your suspension fluids, tires, chain etc. etc.

Shiny pipes and graphics on clapped out bikes are for show, fresh engine and suspension are for go.

I have a 2009 and I hear people talking about newer bikes but 2009 isn’t that new

I'm pretty sure apart from a few cosmetic changes there is nothing mechanically different from your 2009 versus a 2018.

For the YZ125 and YZ250, pretty much everything has remained unchanged since 2006.

- new longer / quieter silencers in 2011

- plastics re-styled in 2015

Edited by mlatour
I'm pretty sure apart from a few cosmetic changes there is nothing mechanically different from your 2009 versus a 2018.

For the Yamaha 2-stroke motocross YZ line-up (85, 125, 250)
pretty much everything has remained unchanged since 2006.

Okay but my parents where going to buy me the pipe (not pipe combo) and I was getting reeds and a jetting kit and I’m not going to just say oh I don’t want the pipe is the pro circuit platinum 2 pipe good

If the FMF Fatty was available for your bike (the Platinum plated, not the bare metal works pipe) I'd pick that over the P-C.

As the YZ85 doesn't have a powervalve, if not all out racing you wouldn't want to sacrifice any low-to-mid power for top end gains.

If the FMF Fatty was available for your bike (the Platinum plated, not the bare metal works pipe) I'd pick that over the P-C.
As the YZ85 doesn't have a powervalve, if not all out racing you wouldn't want to sacrifice any low-to-mid power for top end gains.

No the yz85 is my race bike and I wanted to add a few things befor the season starts again and I don’t ever lug or use low end I’m always on the pipe at high revs

Get the P-C then...

Get the P-C then...

Oh and I do have on question if I get new reeds can I put them in the stick case

Unless a complete assembly like VForce or Rad Valve,

most aftermarket reeds are direct replacement for the stock ones.

On some models (Boyesen), they recommend removing the reeds stoppers (if equipped).

Boyesen Carbon Pro-Series reeds are a good choice.

Unless a complete assembly like VForce or Rad Valve,
most aftermarket reeds are direct replacement for the stock ones.

On some models (Boyesen), they recommend removing the reeds stoppers (if equipped).

Boyesen Carbon Pro-Series reeds are a good choice.

Okay thank you