husabusa

Sachs goldvalve

Perhaps off topic but recently I serviced a 2018 RR300 shock and the std valving is rather interesting especially in compression. 

I will post it if you're curious about it. Shock oil is different than previous years having a purple color instead of red.

After 50—60 hours that this shock had (but in very cold weather) the oil certainly needed renewal.

• Like 1

I went too far with my latest rebound stack, overcompensated for the 1.2mm bleed hole I drilled and stiffer spring.  Felt OK slow, trail clearing, but packed bad at anything higher.  Guy behind me could see it and commented it was so bad.  The restackor curve was a fairly radical change, I should have trusted it.:facepalm:  It was ridable 17-19 out, but the initial bleed area was then too fast.  The adjuster still makes a difference from 17 to 19, surprisingly, but I guess you need a stiff stack to tell.  The bleed hole also contributes but very little, not as much as you think.   This week I dropped the rebound way down, as well as a slight reduction in compression, as I will run the reb adj in more (less crosstalk bleed) as well as the stiffer spring.  The comp adj mods are great, its so much more useful now.  Looking forward to testing this Sunday. 

• Like 1

Keep trying Dr. Frankenstein, you'll have it dancing soon...

frank.gif.7c3c9193887db72eff356542d372fe6a.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GP said:

The comp adj mods are great, its so much more useful now. 

Have you posted anywhere what those mods you did to the cadj are? 

Edited by gots_a_sol

5 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Keep trying Dr. Frankenstein, you'll have it dancing soon...

frank.gif.7c3c9193887db72eff356542d372fe6a.gif

Its all part of an effort to refocus the bike to more technical terrain.  For the last few years its been a compromise to race in all terrain and ride rocks, which its really too stiff for.  Less racing this year, and none in the sand, so a different setup is in order. 

• Like 2

Latest valving revision is great! The best its ever been for rocky stuff. I't sucks up rocky single track at my old man A pace amazingly well. The fork even works better, so balance is good. Still works great on 1st gear obstacles like popping over big logs or rock ledges and walls. I'm sure braking bumps will be fine, whoops ?? What seems to be the best formula is a stiff spring, lighter preload, and valving as light as possible. I'm sure the GV contributes but wouldn't be surprised if the stock piston could come close. I can fit the curves back to stock valve geometry and see what the stacks look like. Keeping the GV as piston band is easy to get, unlike Sachs.

• Like 2

I have been testing my new 300 now

I have my kyb in front and they are stiff

I thinking take some face shims off or flipp the bleed stack?

And in rear i have my goldvalve in and my stacks but its stiff super stiff? Guess valving a 4stroke is a long way from 2stroke

My comp stack in rear starts 

44x12x0.20

Im thinking maby

44x4x0.15

44x4x0.20

And my stacks ends today 

24x1x0.25

Im thinking

22x1x0.25?

Any inputs on that?

Thx

I'm running

44x.2 (6)

30x.1

44x .15

44x.2

20x.3(2)

Yes, 20mm clamp!

This is a rocky trail setup. It's awesome for me but maybe too soft for you. I was out today for four hours hammering it and I feel great, not beat up. Make sure your not packing on rebound. And 2 stroke is a lot different. You will have to soften the fork too. I run 10 face shims, xover, down to 12 clamp. One shim bleed stack. Mid is moderate soft, .4mm float.

Ok i will try something in comp and see what way i will go?

And on reb i have

40x4x0.20 and then xover i thing i will do

40x4x0.20

38x1x0.15 an then xover ?

To eliminate packing in rocks at a quick pace I'm at:
40x.2 (4)
30x.1
40x.25
32x.25
30x.3
22x.3 (clamp)

I can run he adj out to 17-18 and just blitz 6" embedded rocks, and still no kick on logs with good position. If your hitting more sand / whoops then stiffer but this works for me and I have plenty adjustment.

• Like 1

Husa, what have you done and how did it go?  With more time on this current setup, I'm stoked and calling it a victory.  Bike is totally awesome, it stays up in the stroke, eats up the rocks and logs, and I feel good after a day out not beat up.  I just serviced the forks and let the valving alone, first time for that! 

• Like 1

I tryed the bike the other day

Still to stiff in rear?

I tryed 44x4x0.20

44x4x0.15?

If you want you can send me your stacks

So i can try it? 

Thx

19 minutes ago, husabusa said:

I tryed the bike the other day

Still to stiff in rear?

I tryed 44x4x0.20

44x4x0.15?

If you want you can send me your stacks

So i can try it? 

Thx

My two prior posts with specs are basically it.  Also mod your comp adjuster.  Take .75mm off the collar where it contacts the 14mm shim and replace the .2mm shim under the face shims with a .3mm.   Open your rebound adj to around 20, ride/adjust/repeat until you regain traction and stability.  Mine ended up 17 out.  The comp is much more usable now.  I have HS at 3-4 from full out, LS 12 out.  A lot of room for adjustment.  It works for me, 185lb older A rider  w/5.8 spring.  Best suspension I've ridden in the rocks yet, very happy.

• Like 1

Ok now comp is ok on shock

But reb is to fast i think im now 9 clicks out and still to fast

I have 4 face shims and then xover

I think i will try 5 face shim to see if it will slow down?

But now to forks i have my kyb forks on 

4.7 springs and its a litle harsh

Bw is

15x32x0.10

Taperd down to 2x14 no xover any inpout?

And reb is today

3x20x0.10

Xover 

1x20x0.10

1x18 and so on

I think i will try 4 face shims to slow it down?

And a nother thing my bike is super high in rear? I have to sett my sag 40mm to get it rideable?

My frend have a 300 2017 and his is super low in rear? We have the same springs and the bearrings is ok on both bikes?

I fastway likageguard on mine but i only have the org inserts if have the others i would try to lower min a little

Can the fastway inserts be bought somewhear?

Thx

4 hours ago, husabusa said:

Ok now comp is ok on shock

But reb is to fast i think im now 9 clicks out and still to fast

I have 4 face shims and then xover

I think i will try 5 face shim to see if it will slow down?

But now to forks i have my kyb forks on 

4.7 springs and its a litle harsh

Bw is

15x32x0.10

Taperd down to 2x14 no xover any inpout?

And reb is today

3x20x0.10

Xover 

1x20x0.10

1x18 and so on

I think i will try 4 face shims to slow it down?

And a nother thing my bike is super high in rear? I have to sett my sag 40mm to get it rideable?

My frend have a 300 2017 and his is super low in rear? We have the same springs and the bearrings is ok on both bikes?

I fastway likageguard on mine but i only have the org inserts if have the others i would try to lower min a little

Can the fastway inserts be bought somewhear?

Thx

What is your rebound crossover, clamp and clicker position ? 15 comp face shims on a 2st is firm and what is your clamp ? Is the mid the same as your 4st ?  GP runs his pretty soft you seem to like it a bit firmer. 

MM

Post #210 is it. Mine is more of a rock setup, but it does
not kick crossing a fair amount of logs, some 12" or more, on the trail. I'm running 17 clicks out. If your riding more whoops or faster round bumps, I have not tested it in that terrain. Some is technique as well.

As far as the height, I think they are all low, why I raised mine 15mm. Could previous owner have lengthened your shock(too much)? All I can say for sure is what I have found works for me and a couple others.

Do you know where i can buy the other inserts to fastway link? The one that have 2 and 3 dots?

I sure my bike is org only 12h from new and totaly std mine is 2014

And his is 2017?

Is the shock lenght the same on 2stroke and 4stroke? I think it is

And the fork what do you guys think basevalve 14-12 face shims? And a xover what size in the xover? 

My midvalve comp are yzf 450 2008

Std minus 1 face shim dont remember the float?

I took 1 face shim out now when i changed to 2stroke but maby i need to take out more?

And glenn my bleed hole in my shock i drilled 1.5mm maby that the problem white the rebound?

And next time i havd the shock apart i will look at the cadj and see if i understand what you have done

And the fork what do you guys think basevalve 14-12 face shims? And a xover what size in the xover? 

My midvalve comp are yzf 450 2008

Std minus 1 face shim dont remember the float?

I took 1 face shim out now when i changed to 2stroke but maby i need to take out more?

And glenn my bleed hole in my shock i drilled 1.5mm maby that the problem white the rebound?

And next time i havd the shock apart i will look at the cadj and see if i understand what you have done

I've gone away from crossovers on the base I did send you my latest stacks a while ago with doubled up shims. What is your low speed clicker at and it's to harsh now ? Roughly 1 face shim per two Clicks as a guide. If you make a straight stack and use one size smaller clamp on a two-stroke as a try it and see. With the mid I prefer more of a taper than the std stack, 3 face shims will be fine, float a bit more than a 4 stroke say 0.35 to 0.4 as a rough start. I'd run Glenn's stack he gave you and add a few more face shims as from reading you like it firmer. A soft bleed stack works well.

MM

Yes marty we did have almost the same stacks 👍

I took out all dubbel 30 28 and so on

And tryed 15 face shims

But i will try 12 face shims i think?

I have tryed xover before on my 350 and dident like it feels not conected and mushy

But maby its diffrent on a 2stroke?

I have a light bleed stack in and i did like that on my 4stroke but maby i would flipp it?

• Thanks 1