husabusa

Sachs goldvalve

210 posts in this topic

Perhaps off topic but recently I serviced a 2018 RR300 shock and the std valving is rather interesting especially in compression. 

I will post it if you're curious about it. Shock oil is different than previous years having a purple color instead of red.

After 50—60 hours that this shock had (but in very cold weather) the oil certainly needed renewal.

I went too far with my latest rebound stack, overcompensated for the 1.2mm bleed hole I drilled and stiffer spring.  Felt OK slow, trail clearing, but packed bad at anything higher.  Guy behind me could see it and commented it was so bad.  The restackor curve was a fairly radical change, I should have trusted it.:facepalm:  It was ridable 17-19 out, but the initial bleed area was then too fast.  The adjuster still makes a difference from 17 to 19, surprisingly, but I guess you need a stiff stack to tell.  The bleed hole also contributes but very little, not as much as you think.   This week I dropped the rebound way down, as well as a slight reduction in compression, as I will run the reb adj in more (less crosstalk bleed) as well as the stiffer spring.  The comp adj mods are great, its so much more useful now.  Looking forward to testing this Sunday. 

1 person likes this

Keep trying Dr. Frankenstein, you'll have it dancing soon...

frank.gif.7c3c9193887db72eff356542d372fe6a.gif

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, GP said:

The comp adj mods are great, its so much more useful now. 

Have you posted anywhere what those mods you did to the cadj are? 

Edited by gots_a_sol

5 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Keep trying Dr. Frankenstein, you'll have it dancing soon...

frank.gif.7c3c9193887db72eff356542d372fe6a.gif

Its all part of an effort to refocus the bike to more technical terrain.  For the last few years its been a compromise to race in all terrain and ride rocks, which its really too stiff for.  Less racing this year, and none in the sand, so a different setup is in order. 

2 people like this

Latest valving revision is great! The best its ever been for rocky stuff. I't sucks up rocky single track at my old man A pace amazingly well. The fork even works better, so balance is good. Still works great on 1st gear obstacles like popping over big logs or rock ledges and walls. I'm sure braking bumps will be fine, whoops ?? What seems to be the best formula is a stiff spring, lighter preload, and valving as light as possible. I'm sure the GV contributes but wouldn't be surprised if the stock piston could come close. I can fit the curves back to stock valve geometry and see what the stacks look like. Keeping the GV as piston band is easy to get, unlike Sachs.

1 person likes this

I have been testing my new 300 now

I have my kyb in front and they are stiff

I thinking take some face shims off or flipp the bleed stack?

And in rear i have my goldvalve in and my stacks but its stiff super stiff? Guess valving a 4stroke is a long way from 2stroke

My comp stack in rear starts 

44x12x0.20

Im thinking maby

44x4x0.15

44x4x0.20

And my stacks ends today 

24x1x0.25

Im thinking

22x1x0.25?

Any inputs on that?

Thx

I'm running

44x.2 (6)

30x.1

44x .15

44x.2

20x.3(2)

Yes, 20mm clamp!

This is a rocky trail setup. It's awesome for me but maybe too soft for you. I was out today for four hours hammering it and I feel great, not beat up. Make sure your not packing on rebound. And 2 stroke is a lot different. You will have to soften the fork too. I run 10 face shims, xover, down to 12 clamp. One shim bleed stack. Mid is moderate soft, .4mm float.

Ok i will try something in comp and see what way i will go?

And on reb i have

40x4x0.20 and then xover i thing i will do

40x4x0.20

38x1x0.15 an then xover ?

To eliminate packing in rocks at a quick pace I'm at:
40x.2 (4)
30x.1
40x.25
32x.25
30x.3
22x.3 (clamp)

I can run he adj out to 17-18 and just blitz 6" embedded rocks, and still no kick on logs with good position. If your hitting more sand / whoops then stiffer but this works for me and I have plenty adjustment.