husabusa

Sachs goldvalve

I've had '13, '14 beta Sachs apart plus different Husky and GG Sachs and all seemed the same, not 45 clicks.  You would need a very fine pitch adjuster thread for that and its just not there, I have had the clevis apart.  If there is a difference maybe on the very old ones, wouldn't know for sure but I doubt it.

Husabusa have you had your comp adjuster apart?  I'd be interested in what a newer one looks like and what the stack is, if its different than the '13 adjuster.

I have not have it apart if it is the adjuster you mean i have never haved it apart is it a shim stack in there?

I lookt a little at RT shimlist
And comp i more or less what i have
But rebound is my worry thats where my problem was
And RT clamps 24 i guess that stiff it up but only 3 faceshim? And only 0.20 thick?

I'll try and get to it tonight, and let you know where you stand relative to your current stack. For rebound we can start with mine and go a little stiffer for your stiffer spring. PM me your email and I'll send you the restackor excel sheets. You can't use them but should be able to view them.

I tryed to pm you but but it dident work?
My mail
Hellberg78@hotmail.com

Did you have time to check rebound gp?
I will install the valve today

5 hours ago, husabusa said:

Did you have time to check rebound gp?
I will install the valve today

Ran everything, I will send you the Restackor xls files.  You can"t run them but can view even on an iPhone. 

The short answer is this:

Your Race Tech recommended compression stack is ridiculous soft and not even close to what you have.

Race Tech rebound is closer but you said you were not happy with current rebound.

I did a curve fit and provided a stack for the GV port geometry to match the flow vs force for your current compression stack. 

I can take a guess at a rebound stack if you like or you can.  Mine is stiffer and I'm two rates softer on the spring. 

Sorry I'm not cutting/pasting charts here, too much of a PIA moving data onto work computer. 

Here is your GV compression stack:

44 x .25 (6)

28 x .1

44 x .2

42 x .2

40 x .2

38 x .2

36 x .2

34 x .25

32 x .25

30 x .25

28 x .25

26 x .25

24 x .3 (clamp)

24 x 2 (backer)

Remember this is theoretical and untested but matches flow to your current stack, which is fairly stiff.  The GV stacks will always appear be very stiff due to the port area, not as much lift is required.

• Like 1

Thank you
And yes if you want to take a guess at my rebound
That will be super

• Like 1

OK, sending you current files shortly, will add rebound next.  I'm very interested in how this works out.:thumbsup:

Sent you all files including updated rebound stack to try.  Here it is, have to start somewhere:

40 x .3

40 x .25 (2)

28 x .1

38 x .25

36 x .25

34 x .25

32 x .3

30 x .3

28 x .3

26 x .3

24 x .3 (clamp)

24 x 2 (backer)

Edited by GP
  • Like 1

Thank you gp i will put it in tonight
And hope i can try it on saturday

• Like 1

Built and assembled mine last night.  Fits perfect on the tap with plenty of room.  Used the OEM Sachs backers and the thinner RT nut.  As an added bonus, it seems the RT piston band is lower friction in the shock body.  Not so much from a performance perspective but good from one of potential wear. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, GP said:

OEM vs 5003 GV, compression side:

IMG_1517099127.155192.jpg

Rebound side:

IMG_1517099168.230215.jpg

Measured it up and entering into Restackor. Interesting that the recommended setup from RT is pretty
close to what I would have guessed, but this time some engineering, no guessing.

I have a 2018 Sachs shock apart on the bench right now. The ports are significantly larger than those on the 2013 piston GP is showing here.

• Like 1

Steve I had the same newer piston in the shock the last year, got it with the piston band.  I took those pics before I pulled the shock apart, grabbed the old piston for reference, and forgot the differences.  Sorry about that and if it complicated the discussion.  Once apart I realized and measured the newer piston, this is what I based husabusa's calculations on.  Newer is better but flow still rolls off, at a higher force though.  Also, both husabusa and the guy I know with the original question about the piston's influence are comparing the newer piston.  Again, this may end up being an exercise with little return as the forces involved may not be realistic in most cases.  I won't say a waste because its never a waste to learn something.  The Restackor Pro package will be needed for that calculation.  So far one guy has tested the GV fairly well in the rocks and swears its an improvement.  If husabusa and I come to the same conclusion I would say that its true.  We are talking about very high shaft speeds though,  medium size rocks at higher than single track speeds. 

Then there is the question of the compression adjuster.

Edited by GP
  • Like 2

Tryed the shock in saturday
We have a lot off snow so its a little hard to say
But rebound are alot better

Good to hear. Yeah I would imagine heavy spike tires in snow would skew an evaluation. Here we have a layer of mud over still frozen dirt, plus rocks under a fresh 7" snow. Just going to have to wait a bit to test with any meaning. Good luck and keep me posted !

Yes but it feels better
What are you guys having in rear sag? I have always have 35mm for sachs and 4stroke?

• Like 1

I run 103 mm race sag but my shock is 4mm longer, 15mm more travel.

Those sub 100mm numbers to keep the rear up on a stock shock made my bike fell like shit in the technical rocks.  

Did this today, will hardcoat body and res.

IMG_2148.JPG

• Like 2