nprice

turn key to on and no power - nothing

13 posts in this topic

Winterized my DRZ 400 and stored in heated basement 6 weeks ago. Was running fine. Went to check my odometer mileage today - turned key to on and there is no power to display, headlights, starter or anything. Checked battery and it reads 12.9 V. Was new this year. Tried with second battery via booster cables. Nothing.  Checked main fuse for continuity - OK.

Not sure what to do next. Took the headlight cover off and there are of course lots of wires. Also couldn't figure out where the ground from battery is run to. Can someone please suggest the steps required to resolve this. Must be something simple. Ran perfect before storing. Replaced stator in summer.

Thanks

Nick

you checked the fuse but did you try replacing it just to double check?

Yes, just replaced fuse and still no joy. Doubled checked fuse continuity.

This may be of some help bro: 

Ground wires are too often overlooked but are just as important as the positive feed wires. Something as simple as the small black wire from the battery to the harness can stop everything. That is the only place the loads (other than the starter) are grounded.

I can't locate where the battery ground is connected. Seems to pass under the rectifier but can't feel where it goes to from there. Do I need to dissemble the coolant reservoir to get at it? Also thinking the kill switch could be faulty. How can I check that?

Tried jumpers from negative terminal on battery to frame. No difference. Disassembled kill switch and cleaned contacts. Pulled all connectors apart on wire loom under headlight cover and added dielectric grease. Still nothing. I put the bike away and all was good so no sure what the issue is. Further suggestions?  Just no power to anything.

Nick

I have power on the red wire going to the key switch (the green connector). I don't have power on the red wire on the blue connector. I don't know where this one goes to. There appear to be no more red power wires in the loom. Any help would be appreciated. I cant figure out why I have no power.

loom wiring.JPG

Bottom of ignition switch is a small hole, squirt a good electrical contact cleaner into this hole.  Deoxit is a good brand.  Hole is barely visible under the top tripple clamp.

Found the problem. It was the connector to the dash/display. Fiddled with it and dash flickered. Put some dielectric on it. All seems OK now. Thanks for you suggestions.

Nick

3 people like this

Update. Tried again today and no power to dash or anything. Checked the voltage of red wiring going to ignition switch and is reads 3.8V. Checked red wire to Stator and it reads 3.8V too. Ground seems OK as I ran a second temporary ground wire. Battery appears OK - reads 12.8V. Put new fuse in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

If one connector was loose, look for others.  Ignition switch contacts are vulnerable to corrosion.

@nprice What was the upshot here bro? Did you get the situ resolved?