turn key to on and no power - nothing

Winterized my DRZ 400 and stored in heated basement 6 weeks ago. Was running fine. Went to check my odometer mileage today - turned key to on and there is no power to display, headlights, starter or anything. Checked battery and it reads 12.9 V. Was new this year. Tried with second battery via booster cables. Nothing.  Checked main fuse for continuity - OK.

Not sure what to do next. Took the headlight cover off and there are of course lots of wires. Also couldn't figure out where the ground from battery is run to. Can someone please suggest the steps required to resolve this. Must be something simple. Ran perfect before storing. Replaced stator in summer.

Thanks

Nick

This may be of some help bro: 

Ground wires are too often overlooked but are just as important as the positive feed wires. Something as simple as the small black wire from the battery to the harness can stop everything. That is the only place the loads (other than the starter) are grounded.

I can't locate where the battery ground is connected. Seems to pass under the rectifier but can't feel where it goes to from there. Do I need to dissemble the coolant reservoir to get at it? Also thinking the kill switch could be faulty. How can I check that?

Tried jumpers from negative terminal on battery to frame. No difference. Disassembled kill switch and cleaned contacts. Pulled all connectors apart on wire loom under headlight cover and added dielectric grease. Still nothing. I put the bike away and all was good so no sure what the issue is. Further suggestions?  Just no power to anything.

Nick

I have power on the red wire going to the key switch (the green connector). I don't have power on the red wire on the blue connector. I don't know where this one goes to. There appear to be no more red power wires in the loom. Any help would be appreciated. I cant figure out why I have no power.

loom wiring.JPG

Update. Tried again today and no power to dash or anything. Checked the voltage of red wiring going to ignition switch and is reads 3.8V. Checked red wire to Stator and it reads 3.8V too. Ground seems OK as I ran a second temporary ground wire. Battery appears OK - reads 12.8V. Put new fuse in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

On 1/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, nprice said:

I can't locate where the battery ground is connected. Seems to pass under the rectifier but can't feel where it goes to from there. Do I need to dissemble the coolant reservoir to get at it? Also thinking the kill switch could be faulty. How can I check that?

Its connected to a 6mm case bolt by the starter (or should be) 

Cleaned all plugs in wire loom at headlight and reapplied dielectric grease. Problem resolved (for now). Still cant figure out why I wasn't getting 12V to ignition switch but now I am.

I also found the ground from battery and cleaned it (needed to unbolt rectifier to see it). Hopefully all good. Thanks for your help.

Nick

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same problem a year later. Took the bike out of storage today and it fired right up. While idling I noticed the display on the speedo went dead. Stopped the bike and now no power to anything. Check fuse and ground - both good. Took the headlight cover off and checked power to ignition switch (red wire) and it reads 4.8 volts. Squirted a good amount of contact cleaner into switch. No joy. Thinking it is the ignition switch and I should just replace it. Suggestions most welcomed.

Thx, Nick

1 hour ago, nprice said:

Same problem a year later. Took the bike out of storage today and it fired right up. While idling I noticed the display on the speedo went dead. Stopped the bike and now no power to anything. Check fuse and ground - both good. Took the headlight cover off and checked power to ignition switch (red wire) and it reads 4.8 volts. Squirted a good amount of contact cleaner into switch. No joy. Thinking it is the ignition switch and I should just replace it. Suggestions most welcomed.

Thx, Nick

Check the harness where it goes past the steering head, its not uncommon the harness gets pinched or worn causing intermittent faults.  

Thanks for input. Got it going again. No idea how. I previously had about 4v on the red wire at the connection leading to the ignition switch. Now have 12v and everything powered up. I have had this problem before.  Any idea what would cause this? I am concerned this will happen on the trail.

Just went into garage to check bike. Started right up. Turned off and then turned key back on. Nothing, no power to anything. I think I will need to take bike into a shop to get it looked at.