Are you afraid?

Curious. How many will admit that a fear of riding in areas of exposure are limiting your riding.  

Are you interested in trying to get over that fear?

I will admit i have fear of falling off a side of a mountain. I ride for fun and if i feel like im going to die im not having fun.  I have a form of vertigo that sometimes put me on the ground.  It hard to explain so i won't.  Ive had trouble up in the mountains hiking before.  Ive had to sit down and let it clear out before.  I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike when it happens  .  

And no I'm not interested in getting over my fear.

I think it was N Tommy in Entiat that had a short section that actually spooked me. There’s a few trails over there that have big exposure. I’m sure there are others just in WA that are even worse - I just haven’t tried them yet.

I’d say my “fear” is a rational one, not irrational. I’m definitely cautious when there’s exposure, but I’ll ride it.

Edited by jrodicus100

Yea, every time I go to Gifford! Now when my buddies ask me to go, I am always busy that day

I suck at riding a dirt bike on wide flat quad trails, I'm not going anywhere near cliff faces. Cash me on da racetrack doe.

I would like to do some mountain riding, just on trails im not going to die if i crash. 

Something to keep in mind if you take someone up for a ride. They set the limits, never make them do more than there comfortable with. When leading inexperienced riders you are the guide to them having fun. You can not be selfish  and do what you want, its there ride to. You need to have a good plan put together first. Start  with easy  trails and slowly progress. Let them build some confidence.  I would also recommend riding with them somewhere else first to get to know them. 

Ive taken guys out on singletrack Tahuya rides that i felt bad afterwards. I put them thru to much to quick. They didn't have fun, were a little beat up and very tired. How bad would you feel if they ended up in the hospital or the morgue. Just something to think about. 

13 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Curious. How many will admit that a fear of riding in areas of exposure are limiting your riding.  

Are you interested in trying to get over that fear?

What do you recommend? I hope it is more effective than your hill climbing skills ! LOL

Funny you brought this up as I have to be carful who I invite on my rides to Gifford! Myself I try to find some video first if I'm going on a new trail so I know what to expect. Then when I get through the exposure I usually go that was it? Always looks worse on video. Last year on a stormy rainy day I went through Langille Trail and that Rock face you have to go down was gnarly! Two years ago we went up the switch back at Shark rock in fog so thick you could only see a few feet and it was snowing! That was crazy. My rear tire went off the side on the first one! Love the adrenalin rush after going through a section with a lot of exposure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I die I hope its on my dirt bike!

2 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

What do you recommend? I hope it is more effective than your hill climbing skills ! LOL

Early on with my riding, had a terrifying experience, fell off backwards downhill on a steep washout. I was quite exhausted by that point, my ride partner too. So, had that in my head but I knew that if I was going to ride I had to get over that fear and learn how to do it safely. 

Getting better meant taking baby steps....(FYI, I'm an advanced, not expert rider. I've been riding for 2 1/2 years after a long brake from moto)

• Turn around if it's too much, start by tackling smaller issues
  • Follow a more experienced rider
  • Walk the section or trail first
  • Understand that your fear is God given to protect you, and you need to manage that fear
  • Learn how to ride very slowly and straight in 2nd gear, you don't want to be in JERKY 1st gear
  • After walking the section, turn around, and ride for a few minutes. Don't ride it cold and "stared" down
  • Ride the section leaning into the hill, slowly creeping forward... so what if it looks like you're being a wimp, there aren't pictures on the scorecard
  • After babying through some tough sections, the next time you come through you'll feel more comfortable  
  • If you get a panic attack, stop and give it up for another day
  • TRY, at least TRY the section. You can always lean into the hill, climb off and push the bike or have a ride leader take it from there 

Edited by TigerTanker

The fear is what makes riding so enjoyable. No matter if your a new rider trying to hit a 6inch lip at 15mph or a pro hitting a 120ft triple for the first time. When you overcome that fear there is a peace that comes over you.

Riding with riders just a little better than you helps as you can use some of there confidence and follow them through the sections that your scared of. But its nice if they stop and give you a nice little heads up and some pointers if its something your hitting for first time.
If I am leading a ride I make sure the real nasty stuffy is all optional with alternate routes and such unless I know for sure my riders are up to it. Keeping everyone safe is more important than showing off.

24 minutes ago, Waggs said:

The fear is what makes riding so enjoyable. No matter if your a new rider trying to hit a 6inch lip at 15mph or a pro hitting a 120ft triple for the first time. When you overcome that fear there is a peace that comes over you.

Agreed, the milestones and accomplishments are intoxicating. That said, it's really important to manage the risks of riding by having good ride buddies, and packing appropriately for rides. 

I'm actually having a hard time overcoming my last injury, I've slowed down and feel tentative at times.  Never bothered me before, I would get back on and ride after recovering from whatever is broken, but the last one a bit over a year ago has been a real mental challenge.

Just ride more. More seat time will build your confidence back.

I'm actually having a hard time overcoming my last injury, I've slowed down and feel tentative at times.  Never bothered me before, I would get back on and ride after recovering from whatever is broken, but the last one a bit over a year ago has been a real mental challenge.

I understand that very well myself. Last Saturday I was in Anaheim to watch supercross. Almost had a tear in my eye as they introduced Roczen. It wasn’t because I was a big fan of his, it was because I knew what he went threw to get there.
14 minutes ago, Waggs said:

I do, its just taking longer this time.

24 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I have went through this myself. I was off the bike for 13 years after a great local professional flat track career and had many big injuries. now its been almost 4 months since some damaged ribs knock on wood! The older I get the more a mental challenge it is to get over a big crash.

12 minutes ago, Waggs said:

Yes riding more seems to be the only thing that helps!

I talked to Bill maxim a couple weeks ago. He is 70, races every week. Hare and hound, motocross whatever. A couple months ago he busted his back in a few spots racing the big 6. He is itching to come back

I got over my fears when I decided to learn how to ride motocross back in 01 after being strictly a woods guy. I had ridden mx practice like 3 times then signed up for the 01/02 nw arenacross series. I learned a lot but kept getting better each round. 

I conquered those fears big time when I took a motocross school at the old toes mx track in royal city. That track was gnarly back then jumped my first ever triple that day. 

My riding the last few years has been scattered with 6-8 months between rides. Takes a tank of gas usually before I get to crazy. More with trusting my bikes gonna do what I want when I want than anything. On weekend rides it usually surprises me how confident I feel on Sunday after riding all day Saturday. Feel like a different rider.