92 DR350---won't start

Hello everyone, 

New to the bike world, coming from BMWs, long story short I made an impulse buy and snatched up a 92 DR250 dual-sport for $600. But, as you probably could assume it doesn't run. Hence why im here instead of riding my bike. Motorcycle has been sitting for a little over a year. Changed spark plug (has spark), dumped the oil ~5L(which was like water from mixing with gas) and added fresh oil. Battery is dead so any further trouble shooting was done with jumper cables hooked up to my buddies truck. Ran through the entire decompression lever and blah blah blah. Bike still wont start even with stater fluid, not even a POP. 

Ive browsed far and wide for answers, so here i am before you. Bestow upon me your great knowledge. :)

Air, gas and spark are required for combustion. Figure out which one you're missing.

Couldn't hurt to try bump-starting it.

I'd start with the basics: check compression, clean/replace the air filter, check for air leaks, clean/rebuild the carb, check valve clearances. If you don't get anything with starter fluid you might want to start checking compression & valve clearances.

3 hours ago, Tekime said:

Couldn't hurt to try bump-starting it.

I'd start with the basics: check compression, clean/replace the air filter, check for air leaks, clean/rebuild the carb, check valve clearances. If you don't get anything with starter fluid you might want to start checking compression & valve clearances.

Compression seems good because it's a MOFO to kick without the decomp lever. But I will read up on how to do a compression test on this bike, I know how to do it on a car that's running and FI. Trying easy and free troubleshooting before disassembling the carb. Thank you!

last one i bought that didnt run was a bargain.

19289584269_d17e193157_o.jpg

didnt have compression

19644689169_72d797924f.jpg

19643273158_c0913626d3_c.jpg

the shop that worked on it must have dropped this into the intake & it stopped at the valve.

31 minutes ago, dillydilly said:

Compression seems good because it's a MOFO to kick without the decomp lever. But I will read up on how to do a compression test on this bike, I know how to do it on a car that's running and FI. Trying easy and free troubleshooting before disassembling the carb. Thank you!

Resistance is definitely a good sign of compression. Air filter and checking for any leaks are the next easy items to check off. I feel like the carb is the likely culprit given that it sat for a while. A good disassemble/cleaning with compressed air/speaker wire/carb cleaner is not too bad of a job but I'd set aside an evening if you haven't done one before!

17 minutes ago, plugeye said:

last one i bought that didnt run was a bargain.

19643273158_c0913626d3_c.jpg

the shop that worked on it must have dropped this into the intake & it stopped at the valve.

You have gotta be kidding me. THAT could have gone a lot worse :facepalm:

Same situation.  Bought a '92 DR250s that has sat about a year.  Took car apart checked out good, no dirt in the bowl or anything.  Noticed the spark at the plug looked weak even though it is firing.  Can't get it to fire or pop or anything.  Has really good compression.  Can't hardly kick it over.  Bike only has 3500 miles on it.  I wonder if the low mileage is the result of habitual starting problems.