Lennie

Beta 300rr over heating

41 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a 2017 300rr factory, its got about 50 hours on it, it was fine for about 45 and then started to over heat in technical terrain, it is fine when your going fast. I assumed it was the head o rings as that is well documented so changed them but is has made no difference. The bike has no thermostat. The bike did not have any over heating I have owned it from new ridden it in red hot summer days no problem now its the winter freezing cold and the over heating has started so there is defiantly something "broken". 

Can anyone suggest any other issues that could cause this?

Cheers.

57 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Have you rejetted for the cold temps? Probably running lean =  hot

The jetting has been adjusted for winter. There is three of us who ride together on 300rr's the other two bikes are fine mine isn't. There is defiantly a problem its not something simple like jetting.

Any symptoms of an air leak, like surging or hanging idle?  Did you verify coolant movement through the system ? 

Hi , I got my RR 300 2017 ( new ) 3 months ago , it seems you had my problem : you don't overheat but you hear boiling coolant inside radiators , isn't it ? 

I've solved changing coolant , the stock Liquimoly is not good for slow hard-technical trails ( it boils at 104 °C ) , I used a pink Repsol 50+50 and the problem is disappearing , but it will be solved at 100% when I will mount a fan with thermostat , so it will start itself automatically and my radiators will be always fresh .

Attention : after changing the coolant be sure to don't have air inside the system , so leave cap and air nut on radiators open and kick slowly 3-4 times the kickstarter , after the first ride with the new coolant check level again , probably it will be just a bit low .

Use jetting from Beta manual and don't make experiments with Evans , Engine Ice or things like these , use classic coolants for dirtbikes .

Get rid of the stock coolant. I was not impressed with that stuff. Just buy some Prestone Extended Life 50/50 and go on your way.  I had a problem when I got my bike and it sounded like it was boiling, but I found it was the green valve under the gas cap that was causing a bubbling sound in my gas tank.Took the green valve out and no more problems. Not saying that is your problem, but worth a look.

Nothing changed on the bike before / after the issue. Bike get used the same all year, same terrain same rider same everything apart from the weather which is currently the coldest it gets here and now its started over heating. It does overheat it is not just the sound.

I put KTM o rings in the head and it has not changed at all, still the exact same problem. I will strip the bike again this week check everything inc air leaks, new exhaust o rings, put new rad cap on, check water pump impeller, everything I can think of.

Here in the UK low octane is 95 and high is 98. We don't have that problem luckily.

Edited by Lennie
1 person likes this

What accessories are you running? Big tank? Radiator guards? Different muffler with restrictions? What are they symptoms of your overheating? Is it spitting coolant? Are you getting a temperature readout? 

Edited by Johnny Depp

17 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

What accessories are you running? Big tank? Radiator guards? Different muffler with restrictions? What are they symptoms of your overheating? Is it spitting coolant? Are you getting a temperature readout? 

The bike is standard apart from bullet proof rad guards. The bike gets hot and pukes coolant from the over flow.

1 person likes this

As others suggested, the first thing  to try is another rad cap... 

3 people like this

Bike will get check over for all the suggestions above, the usual stuff I do and new cap then test ridden at the weekend.

53 minutes ago, GP said:

The big ?? is, is it actually overheating, or just puking coolant for another reason? 

100% it is over heating

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:46 AM, Lennie said:

Hi all,

I have a 2017 300rr factory, its got about 50 hours on it, it was fine for about 45 and then started to over heat in technical terrain, it is fine when your going fast. I assumed it was the head o rings as that is well documented so changed them but is has made no difference. The bike has no thermostat. The bike did not have any over heating I have owned it from new ridden it in red hot summer days no problem now its the winter freezing cold and the over heating has started so there is defiantly something "broken". 

Can anyone suggest any other issues that could cause this?

Cheers.

It would appear your problem lies in the cooling system based on this statement. You removed the t-stat, are you getting proper circulation with whatever "Y" you replaced it with. Did you replace the hoses? Any chance one of them is pinched? Have you inspected the impeller? Look inside the radiator with the cap off and the engine running and see if you have fluid movement? I use the spit test when in the field, if my spit boils and pops, we have a problem. I'm thinking 1 radiator is not getting good coolant flow? Did you make any changes for the winter season? Something has changed.

Edited by Johnny Depp
2 people like this

13 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

It would appear your problem lies in the cooling system based on this statement. You removed the t-stat, are you getting proper circulation with whatever "Y" you replaced it with. Did you replace the hoses? Any chance one of them is pinched? Have you inspected the impeller? Look inside the radiator with the cap off and the engine running and see if you have fluid movement? I use the spit test when in the field, if my spit boils and pops, we have a problem. I'm thinking 1 radiator is not getting good coolant flow? Did you make any changes for the winter season? Something has changed.

Totally agree with what your saying, thing is it wasn't like I did work to the bike and once I had made a change the problem started so could say for example "I changed the rad hoses and now it over heats". The bike was ridden and was fine put away ridden again and a few hours into the next ride started to get hot and the problem has been there ever since. Something happened while the bike was being ridden, a "breakage".

Bike will be inspected over the weekend and test ridden, unfortunately its too dark to test ride in the evenings here now anywhere apart from on the road which wont show the problem.

1 person likes this

I have had the bike stripped right down and couldn't see any major problems, The bike had a new rad cap along with everything suggested here checked and all the usual stuff I would do after an event. Will have to ride the bike on some tough terrain and see what happens.

1 person likes this