Beta 300rr over heating

On 1/10/2018 at 2:33 AM, Lennie said:

Here in the UK low octane is 95 and high is 98. We don't have that problem luckily.

Different rating method IIRC. :)

Hello I am having the same overheating in my rr 300 of 2016, the cooling is good when you go fast, but it overheats easily in technical terrain any idea? Thank you

2 hours ago, Jose300 said:

Hello I am having the same overheating in my rr 300 of 2016, the cooling is good when you go fast, but it overheats easily in technical terrain any idea? Thank you

Buy a fan.. put on an overflow tank....get a higher pressure radiator cap...      To me if doing technical put on a fan right away.

None of the Betas here in our group in the PNW run a fan. Have never seen any (including mine) over heat. Pretty much only ride gnar single track. Prior to changing my head orings I would get a pressurized / boiling type sound at times. Nothing over flowed though and that went away when I swapped them. As did the pressurized rads :).

34 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

None of the Betas here in our group in the PNW run a fan. Have never seen any (including mine) over heat. Pretty much only ride gnar single track. Prior to changing my head orings I would get a pressurized / boiling type sound at times. Nothing over flowed though and that went away when I swapped them. As did the pressurized rads :).

Lots here don’t run a fan  and lots do. Betas are pretty resistant to boiling compared to most bikes but all bikes here can and will boil sometimes. No matter what there’s no losing putting a fan on. It does cost some money though. I guess it’s also what kind of trails your riding in Spain? 

My fan and everyones fan I ride run at different times when riding here whether Beta or not. If there’s another issue? Yea fix but running a fan is super common here.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

The motorcycle has 100 hours now, it never gets overheated until 90 hours, I have a fan and in the past it never went on, now when it's on the technical terrain it always works, I do not have a thermostat and the cooling flow is good, the carburation is rich, I also changed the cylinder head o-rings to one of ktm. Thank you

It's normal to boil in technical stuff. Make sure you burp the cooling system of all the air and put a fan on it. 

I have already put a fan, but it is strange that now it overheats where it did not before

If it was fine after so many hours check the impeller, of anything that could cause it to run lean like an air leak.  Its normal for a KTM to boil but not a Beta, they run exceptionally cool, even jetted crisp in very slow tech stuff. 

3 hours ago, Jose300 said:

I have already put a fan, but it is strange that now it overheats where it did not before

Low octane fuel burns hotter in case that was the change but check for air leak. 

3 hours ago, GP said:

If it was fine after so many hours check the impeller, of anything that could cause it to run lean like an air leak.  Its normal for a KTM to boil but not a Beta, they run exceptionally cool, even jetted crisp in very slow tech stuff. 

+1 I even race a hard enduro a couple years back on the stock radiator's, only boiled over once after much abuse. I run Myler's now, but only because my stock radiators are smashed up.

10 hours ago, Jose300 said:

The motorcycle has 100 hours now, it never gets overheated until 90 hours, I have a fan and in the past it never went on, now when it's on the technical terrain it always works, I do not have a thermostat and the cooling flow is good, the carburation is rich, I also changed the cylinder head o-rings to one of ktm. Thank you

Well it sounds like you have covered a bunch of the normal overheating areas.. idk  radiator cap? Can’t think of what else. I’d still add on whatever cooling measures mods to add anyway. I am and my bike has no overheating issues. Im putting on bigger radiators to improve cooling even more and probably hiflo impellar aswell. GP said impellar. Maybe get the upgrade hiflo  impellar and install that. Maybe that’s it.  ???? 

You know it could be just how riding the bike too.. Did you gear your bike different? How about your clutch? Maybe with more clutch work the bike is creating more heat? Idk.. just throwing out possibilities. I have geared my bike different to lessen my need to use my clutch in technical .. It’s helped for lessening overheating for me on another bike I owned.

Sounds like your bike has the same problem as mine, fine for 45 hours then started over heating for no reason. I am not sure if I really got to the bottom of the issue with my bike, I think but am not sure. Until the bike gets used in a really tough technical race it will be impossible to tell, I have done some practicing with no more over heating but nothing tests the bike like an actual race. Anyway, the spring in the rad cap was a little loose, you could move it vertically. You can feel when fitting it to the bike it didn't take as much resistance to push it down into the rad as the replacement. If you had nothing to compare it to you would never have noticed but I had a known good cap from another bike and I could tell the difference.

Thats why I asked in the other thread are you sure its overheating.  Loosing coolant from a bad cap is not actually overheating, but it could cause it for sure.  I had a GasGas with a bad radiator neck sealing surface that took a pressure test to find, but it never finally overheated until coolant ran very low.

Edited by GP

DSC_0201.thumb.JPG.65f44df7ffd82f74ab1a516b09e26718.JPGAnd I added a larger water pump and radiators of higher capacity to my bike, I hope this solution overheats.DSC_0195.thumb.JPG.d4eb1269e3b33741aa74365b9c8cd71b.JPGDSC_0197.thumb.JPG.ee6ab3ec8ed2458205da84360a003a37.JPG

18 minutes ago, Jose300 said:

DSC_0201.thumb.JPG.65f44df7ffd82f74ab1a516b09e26718.JPGAnd I added a larger water pump and radiators of higher capacity to my bike, I hope this solution overheats.DSC_0195.thumb.JPG.d4eb1269e3b33741aa74365b9c8cd71b.JPGDSC_0197.thumb.JPG.ee6ab3ec8ed2458205da84360a003a37.JPG

Looks good to me . I’m guessing that shoud work. 

On 2/1/2018 at 6:51 AM, GP said:

Its normal for a KTM to boil but not a Beta, they run exceptionally cool, even jetted crisp in very slow tech stuff. 

I can't even count how many times during a gnarly ride I get a whiff of coolant when a KTM or Husky pull up beside me as we wait for the others. Whether it's previous gens or current gens, they sure seem to boil easily. 

10 hours ago, Goatse said:

I can't even count how many times during a gnarly ride I get a whiff of coolant when a KTM or Husky pull up beside me as we wait for the others. Whether it's previous gens or current gens, they sure seem to boil easily. 

It's part of the ready to race deal. Can't race if it ain't hot!

For future reference. Beta 300 2015. I was having same symptoms as described here.

Couldnt make the bike over heat if i threw it on a bonfire... then oneday started blowing out fluid and making "bubbling" noises really easily.

Remembered after a couple frustrating rides, that the bike had suffered a tumble onto that side in rocks. Radiator cap had taken a hit and also deformed the sealing lip/neck of the radiator somewhat.

Solution: Bent the lip to correct flush position and changed the cap.

My theory is the "bubbling" noise which lead me to believe it was over-heating was more of a muffled quick "pffft"pffft" noise from the cap rubber not sealing the radiator mouth correctly.

From this crash actually.

Edited by livefivetwofive
6 hours ago, livefivetwofive said:

From this crash actually.

Yep, that will do that. Nice footage.