Please help me choose my first dirt bike!

My choice would be the KLX140

(the L being the medium sized version with 19" & 16" wheels)

reasons: most modern design of the 3 listed, weighs less

But if on a limited budget, finding a bike in best condition is more important than limiting yourself to a specific model.

You are at an age at which you could out grow your bike within one season,

don't invest too much or get too attached to your first bike

as you get more experienced (and taller/heavier) you will want to upgrade to another better suited bike.

Edited by mlatour
12 minutes ago, Not_experienced said:

Ok. So it remains KLX 140. CRF 150f and XR 100. 

What would be better to get from these 3 dirt bikes. Please choose one.

Thanks!!😉

I would go with the KLX and better suspension :thumbsup::ride:

Whatever you can find in the best condition for the best price. Any of them would be good bikes. XR100 isn't made any more, so parts may be more of a problem but they are so reliable if you find a good one it won't likely need anything for many years.

11 minutes ago, nobade said:

Whatever you can find in the best condition for the best price. Any of them would be good bikes. XR100 isn't made any more, so parts may be more of a problem but they are so reliable if you find a good one it won't likely need anything for many years.

11 minutes ago, jcriswell said:

I would go with the KLX and better suspension :thumbsup::ride:

So KLX 140L remains thanks for all the help and Information. I really appreciate it!

I hope I can find it at a good price and ship it to my country.

Have a beautiful day!

🙏🙏😉😉😀

Thanks!!

I’d go with a xr 100 or crf 150f whichever one you can find

I only say that because I know they are good and reliable but I have no experience with the klx

2 hours ago, Not_experienced said:

Thanks!!😉

To be more exact if you are looking for used, I would say to shop for best year/condition/price for any of the following models (all with 19" front wheel/16" rear wheel) and all trail bikes:

• CRF100F/XR100F
  • CRF125F Big Wheel
  • CRF150F
  • KLX140L
  • DRZ125L
  • TTR-125LE

These are all similar in weight, specs and power and a good starting point for someone your size.

Thanks!!

CRF150F

When I was 12, I bought a 2006 crf250r!! It was so tall, I had to find a stump to stand on when starting it in the woods. But, I could ride wheelies like anybody else could. Even though I wasn't even close to being able to touch, I loved that bike untill I seized the crank bearing. Now it is just gathering dust. If anybody would like to buy it, I would let it go for $1000. What is your budget? I would recomend not to get a 230, they have a horrible power to weight ratio. A early ktm 200 2-stroke would be much better.

2 hours ago, 300RSR said:

When I was 12, I bought a 2006 crf250r!! It was so tall, I had to find a stump to stand on when starting it in the woods. But, I could ride wheelies like anybody else could. Even though I wasn't even close to being able to touch, I loved that bike untill I seized the crank bearing. Now it is just gathering dust. If anybody would like to buy it, I would let it go for $1000. What is your budget? I would recomend not to get a 230, they have a horrible power to weight ratio. A early ktm 200 2-stroke would be much better.

So I've looked at The KTM 200, and a 2007 model it's like 1600$. 

My budget is very small, 3000$ it's too much, even 2600$ is a LOT! So as cheap as i can find, it's the way to go. Because I need to ship it to my country which is like 500$ more and to buy equipment, which is another 500$. 

Will the KTM 200 be too much power and should I remain to the CRF 150f and KLX 140 L?

Thanks in advance. 

😉

I dont think a KTM 200 would have too much power for you.

Buddy, ktm and cheap don’t go together lol.

2 hours ago, Not_experienced said:

So I've looked at The KTM 200, and a 2007 model it's like 1600$. 

My budget is very small, 3000$ it's too much, even 2600$ is a LOT! So as cheap as i can find, it's the way to go. Because I need to ship it to my country which is like 500$ more and to buy equipment, which is another 500$. 

Will the KTM 200 be too much power and should I remain to the CRF 150f and KLX 140 L?

Thanks in advance. 

😉

What country are you in?  Thought your profile says USA.

All...kid is 5' 6" and 88 lb, 12 going on 13 years old and has never ridden...and you are recommending a KTM 200....come on?  Are you trying to get the kid hurt?

Some members don't seem to realize that when someone mentions trail riding,

they are not looking for a 'woods weapon', enduro, or hare scramble race bike

but rather just doing some casual trail riding usually meaning very low speeds and numerous stops.

Usual requirements are often:

-easy to learn on and ride for a newbie (mellow torquey engine)

-low initial price  (limited budget)

-low maintenance (limited budget)

-easy maintenance and simplicity (air cooled)

Buying too much bike for a newbie is a sure way to either

-get hurt, scared of it (limit their progression), or quit riding altogether 

-having it turn into a lawn ornament due to lack of funds to repair it.

Edited by mlatour
4 hours ago, mlatour said:

Some members don't seem to realize that when someone mentions trail riding,

they are not looking for a 'woods weapon', enduro, or hare scramble race bike

but rather just doing some casual trail riding usually meaning very low speeds and numerous stops.

Usual requirements are often:

-easy to learn on and ride for a newbie (mellow torquey engine)

-low initial price  (limited budget)

-low maintenance (limited budget)

-easy maintenance and simplicity (air cooled)

Buying too much bike for a newbie is a sure way to either

-get hurt, scared of it (limit their progression), or quit riding altogether 

-having it turn into a lawn ornament due to lack of funds to repair it.

Ok, so maybe a KTM 200 would be too much, but I thought that since I was riding a crf250r at that age, a 200 would be a good bike. Now, I relize that may have been a bad choice, and something like a crf150f would be better. Sorry if I offended anybody.

I am 5'6", 130 (adult female) and started on a Kawasaki 140L. That thing was amazing, I was experienced on my road/mtn bikes, but timid on the dirt bike, it really helped to build my confidence and skills. I highly recommend it.  It was nice and light, but still had decent power and didn't hold me back from any riding I was doing.

And here I am on it, to give you an idea of size, since we are around the same height (I am 5'6")

klx140L.jpg

I'm 5' 6" on a CR250 IMG_0147.jpg

Hope no one is confused...

I'm 5' 6" on a CR250 IMG_0147.jpg.4b0834f1124211bbee8437e4b9801a8e.jpg

Hope no one is confused...

The question is how old are you. We’re talking about a 12-13 year old here who’s never ridden lol. A CR250 might scare him away.

The question is how old are you. We’re talking about a 12-13 year old here who’s never ridden lol. A CR250 might scare him away.

15 I have been riding for a little over 2 years. Third bike, started on a ttr125, then to a cr125, a crf 450x, now the cr250.