Why don’t dirt bikes run as well as lawnmowers?

My lawnmower, like most I assume, is a carbureted 4 stroke. It’s 12 years old and starts with the first or second pull every time (even after the winter). I’ve never fiddled with the carb or mixture or checked the valves. Why don’t expensive dirt bikes run this well?

lemme see, 5 hp versus 50hp. Tech vs, low tech, different uses...If you found an old XL185, that may satisfy the lawnmower aspect. Most bikes run pretty well.

• Like 1

Does your lawn mower turn 13,000 RPMs? Does your lawn mower have a constant loading and unloading of the engine?

• Like 1

Too many reasons.
With increased power comes increased wear and therefore increased maintenance.
You’re comparing two engines that have totally different purposes, not to mention one is running at 2-3x the rpm of the other, and is much more complex.

• Like 1

Ha! Yes! I have thought of this topic pretty much every time I start the mower. I change the oil in mine maybe once a year if I remember and the gas stays in it year round (the gas in the can for the mower is prob a year old). Bought the thing at Home Depot in 2001!!!

• Like 2

So, if I put a mower deck under my CR, It'll run forever?

It sounds like it wouldn’t but you’d have the world’s coolest lawnmower.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, North Van Man said:

My lawnmower, like most I assume, is a carbureted 4 stroke. It’s 12 years old and starts with the first or second pull every time (even after the winter).

Is it a Honda - they make the best mowers. I have a 20 year old Honda Buffalo mower starts 1st pull every time  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, North Van Man said:

My lawnmower, like most I assume, is a carbureted 4 stroke. It’s 12 years old and starts with the first or second pull every time (even after the winter). I’ve never fiddled with the carb or mixture or checked the valves. Why don’t expensive dirt bikes run this well?

So are you having problems starting your bike?

Otherwise and IMO regardless of what it its, all motors want to start and run and mostly comes down to maintenance. For example, a  buddy was just mentioning he hasn't had to use his snow blower in 3 years and when he went to use it this year, he'd left gas in the carb without stabilizer and it had turned to jelly :(

Is it a Honda - they make the best mowers. I have a 20 year old Honda Buffalo mower starts 1st pull every time  :thumbsup:

Yup, it’s a Honda :)
  • Like 1

So are you having problems starting your bike?

No, my bike starts. It’s just that I’m new to this and am a little overwhelmed with all the info regarding maintenance. Oil changes after 2 rides, carb jetting/float height/mixture adjustments, valve clearances, clutch adjustment, starting procedures, etc etc. I’m excited to learn and am really enjoying it but I was thinking about other motors I have that I’ve never really considered in this depth. There’s definitely something to be said for 2 strokes haha.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, North Van Man said:

No, my bike starts. It’s just that I’m new to this and am a little overwhelmed with all the info regarding maintenance. Oil changes after 2 rides, carb jetting/float height/mixture adjustments, valve clearances, clutch adjustment, starting procedures, etc etc. I’m excited to learn and am really enjoying it but I was thinking about other motors I have that I’ve never really considered in this depth. There’s definitely something to be said for 2 strokes haha.

Ya it can be a bit overwhelming BUT and as posted modern dirt bike are high performance machines and need to be treated as such and understanding what basic maintenance you can do on your own.

Honestly and IMO the most important things for me are .....

Running an hour meter, using a log book and checking/replacing engine oil/filter frequently with the best products you can afford. MAX 10 engine hours or sooner if the oil start looking really dark or sooner if I've done a long hard ride.

Then washing the bike frequently and give's me a chance to have a good look at the bike to see if anything is wearing, stuff broken etc etc etc.

Otherwise I freely admit I've neglected stuff like swing arm bearings etc BUT knew I eventually had to either do them my self or pay someone to do them. Now that I've done stuff myself like a fork rebuild, full swing arm/linkage bearings etc, I now know its not that hard and I don't have to wait say 10 years to do them :)

• Like 4

Imagine having an 8000 dollar push mower, how anal you’d be with it. That’s how you should be with your bike engine. With bikes, an ounce of prevention is worth 10 lbs of cure.
It’s good to wrap your head around it all now, and make the frequent maintenance routine. You’ll have a relatively trouble free and enjoyable ownership, hopefully like your lawn mower.

• Like 3

my Husqvarna mower was a POS, it died after a year of use. Briggs and Strattons are awesome.

• Like 3

There are plenty on mowers that cost $8K. Granted, they aren’t push mowers, but I don’t push my bike either.......usually. 

I’ve got about $8K in my Hustler mower, and its well worth it. 

• Like 1

the valve springs on yard equipment are so soft I can install valve keepers with bare hands. 3600rpm max for all those little engines. very loose clearances and weak low stress components. 560cc lawn mower engines making 14hp vs 350cc mx bike engines making around 60hp.

try a small air-cooled kids bikes are similar to lawnmowers in terms of power and reliability

• Like 5