• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted   01/18/2018

Checkout our robust classifieds for amazing deals on bikes, parts, accessories, gear & apparel 

Gringotoo

12 volt conversion

2 posts in this topic

lI have this bike and an 84 xl125s. Have had failures of turn signal switch on both bikes. The new dirt bike street legal kits are all 12 volt and replacement combination light,horn turn signal switches are not available. The after market ones aren't even close. I seldom ride at night but I do ride on state roads and I like having the signals which are not required here in Idaho but I want them. Any ideas/suggestions?

There are several different reg/rec/capacitor units available.  Look into Tympanium and PodTronics.  Both are a very simple 12V 4 wire set up that are quite easy to install.  Just run your stator wires to yellow wires of the unit, then + and - to your battery terminals.  I recommend installing a fuse on the positive wire before the battery just to be safe.  If your stator is a 3 wire coil setup, then simply bridge 2 of your stator windings to 1 yellow wire, and the single stator wire to the other yellow wire.  I've used both on my 1958 Enfield Indian cafe racer that I converted to 12V from 6V, and also converted the magneto to electronic ignition.  The only reason I've gone thru a couple is because I had an alignment issue with my primary case that I wasn't aware of, and the stator kept grounding out.  Hope this helps.

Edited by High On Octane