Beta as a snowbike=incredible. (More pics), and another review

On 1/11/2018 at 0:03 AM, TroutRunner said:

I've been on snowmobiles for years.  Can't speak to riding a snowbike as I haven't been on one.  

The comments made about being in top physical shape and strength are only half true for mountain sleds.  I'm on 2010 models and take pride in running them along side guys that have the newest sleds.  The new mountain sleds are so amazing, more power stock, deep lugs and tip and sidehill with just a quick lean.  Yes, mountain sleds still suck on the trails.

Newer sleds are making it easier to run all over the place without feeling as exhausted at the end of the day.  I still like 200hp in a 425lb sled and rip like a madman, not sure the snowbike will give me that but I'm sure it boondocks and winds around in the trees much easier.  Can't say I always choose something because it's easy though. 

Like you are a mean-hombre on a mountain sled, I'm a bad Larry on a dirtbike, but, we are on a whole-nother playing field when it comes to what we are enjoying as we are top of the line.   If you don't think you are, you are selling yourself short or are trying to be humble, which is admirable, but maybe you have either not seen the trail trout that litter the legal ATV and groomed snowmobiles where I travel and have to travel, or you have forgotten about the masses and the sheeple that are just taking it easy, and like easy, out there.  

Snowmobilers are not going to flock to snowbikes any more than dirt bikers are going to switch over to ATV's and besides, why not have both?  I have a snowmobile and a snowbike and I know for sure, if my sled were to be gone I would not miss it and I would probably not replace it unless my kids wanted to ride.  

It does not bother me at all as I could not care less about others abilities or skills or how people are having their fun.  But to think that a groomed trail snowmobile rider can get on one of those "easy to ride" mountain sleds and get on and just follow you, well, you had better bring the shovels and a 1/2 dozen guys to help them get unstuck after the first of the many trenchings you'll both deal with in the first 1/4 mile off-trail on FLAT terrain.    

Everyones fun is different. Thankfully we have choices.  Thankfully, there is BETA!  Beta and Camso DTS 129.  Make Beta even Greater than it already is.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Even though we had light snow TWICE in TX this year, something like this would require a vacation rental adventure for us Texans. Your description sounds amazing, and since I have never snow skied, maybe I should just skip straight to Timbersleds. Someday maybe!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Even though we had light snow TWICE in TX this year, something like this would require a vacation rental adventure for us Texans. Your description sounds amazing, and since I have never snow skied, maybe I should just skip straight to Timbersleds. Someday maybe!

The very best part of it is, because as dirt-bikers, we have been training our entire lives for these kits to finally come out.  While I think that someone that has only ridden streebikes could get around on a snowbike, us dirtbikers take to it right-quick and it is the hoot of all hoots.  

I always thought that dirbiking was the very best-thing to do with an internal combustion engine, now it is the snowbike.  

• Like 1

Getting out is the fun part.  I agree with Ben500 when he says everyone has their own idea of fun. I fully support anyone choosing a bike or a sled to have it!

I'm probably lucky, I ride some trail to get to high altitude open riding and have found some good gladed areas.  No more tight trees for me.  I used to spend more time in the trees, but as was mentioned, digging out sucks.  

My group used to invite newbies when we were newer also, but now, digging out newbies sucks, so only a rare invite happens.  That being said, learning how to get unstuck is part of the learning curve.  Haven't had a shovel out in years, its all stomping of the snow, lifting the sled, and rolling the sled as needed.  Then hammer down and shake until the beast rears its ugly head.

I take my kids out close to home and find fields of pow.  Nothing beats having your kid just behind the handlebars in front of you while you rip figure 8's sending endless faceshots filling their helmet as the sled is almost laid completely over on its side.  I ask "Were you a little scared?", child responds, "Not really, but the farther you went over I thought my legs might get damaged."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rooster73 said:

Snow bikes I hear are like jet skis. They get old after the first year. I firmly believe they are very hard on a four stroke motor. Here in Idaho your on the rev limiter 24/7.

only bike I'd do it with us a cr500AF with a electric start.

Everyone's idea of fun sure is different and I'm sure that snowbiking is not for everyone, or even snowmobiling for that matter.  I have buddies that want nothing to do with the snow in any way, shape or form.  For them it is all dirtbike and nothing else.  

The longtime guys on the CRF's, YZF's, going back to 2010 are having no problems with their 450 4s motors, even after having gone through multiple generations of track kits.  If they wear out, we are rich-remember that, we can afford new top ends or whatever else might need replacing.  It is great when money is no object.  As has been said, "There are very few problems in the world that cannot be solved with money.  The problems begin when there is NO money."  

16 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Man I'd be up in those hills!  Snow looks a little shallow though for the woods, are you able to run in the trees and not hits stumps and stuff? 

It is funny to me, that when I'm picture taking, I'm always around the farm(s) as when we get out in the sticks, and we're having a ball in the powder stashes/hillside orchards, hayfields, I never set up to get any great, magazine-quality images as I'm having too much fun to stop and stage any shots.  

Once we do get up in the hills, the snow is deeper as it is not blown away as it is down on the wide open hayfield(s).  There are areas where all the powder gets blown and it can get waist-high although we just had a few days of above freezing temps and melted away all the snow.  We now have to wait for the next big snowstorm.  

On 1/10/2018 at 9:56 PM, Danceswithtrees said:

They turn and handle great!  You can carve hard and lean them right over, not sure I ever had my front end wash out.   I take mine places I could never go with my Summit, it just handles so much easier with much less effort.  I got hooked last year I almost like it more then dirt.

We're heading to just south of Houghton, MI Saturday, they have 4 feet on the level and supposed to get some fresh the next couple days so should be perfect.

KIMG0506_zpsypel0lky.jpg

Hey Dances with trees, do you ride the trails or just back country? Wondering how the snow bikes handle on the trails.

Thanks,

Kennedy

1 hour ago, hollywood_72 said:

Hey Dances with trees, do you ride the trails or just back country? Wondering how the snow bikes handle on the trails.

Thanks,

Kennedy

No trails, just woods.  I think they suck on trails, it's just really no fun imo and not what they're made for, plus it's illegal to run them on snowmobile trails in Michigan.  Even when riding a 2 track to get to the hills, if it's been packed by sleds, I'll often jump to the side and ride in the pow. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Rooster73 said:

It's interesting, everyone rides the timbersled system in Idaho.

Camso DTS 129 just came out for the very first time last year.  Timbersled, which started as Mountain Horse, was born in Idaho.  While there are some who have ditched the Tsled for Camso, most stuck with what they got as a $6,000-$7,000 change is not a small amount.  Timbersled was one of the very first mass marketed snowbike systems out there.  

Timbersled history link:  http://www.timbersled.com/en-us/history

I did not want their twin rail design that is just like a snowmobiles rear track.  Single rail for me as the dirtbike feel is incredible in all conditions.  Here is a link to my review of this past Sunday and the first time I got to ride on groomed, soft, snowmobile trails:

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439743

Edited by Ben500RR-S

• 3 weeks later...

We got to get back out for what was the second big powder day of this year.  We waited about a month for the snow to come and it was worth it as the day was awesome and we had from 1' to 3' of powder to ride in all day, at least for 2 solid hours anyway as powder riding is tiring-like dirtbiking is.  

We made one last run out after lunch on the snowmobiles and we were reminded how much fun they (still) are as they are fun, just not as fun as the snowbikes but when one is tired, they can easily be ridden as all we need to do is sit, thumb and steer-like ATV riding=easy.  

P1130424.JPG

P1130425.JPG

P1130426.JPG

P1130427.JPG

P1130428.JPG

P1130431.JPG

P1130439.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you!  You are most defiantly on to something I can see myself getting into by next by next winter.   

I do concern myself a little with the load it will be putting on the motor.  That's about it for me.   But it is not a deal breaker.  After all,  We have Beta's!  What could go wrong! 

I am curious about your oil selection with this type of cold abuse?  OEM recommended fluid would not be wise. something Like molasses in January.  I also see you have some covering

over the Radiators and motor to keep the temps up as well.   If you were able to see it, What Trail Tech temps reading are you happy reaching and riding at?  What other winterizing steps are you using?        

Fact is, I have a little research ahead to make this all happen.     I just hope I get to bring this thread alive next year with cool Snowbike pics of my own.    Nice Job!  Looks and sounds like it is the Bees Knees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadass said:

Thank you!  You are most defiantly on to something I can see myself getting into by next by next winter.   

I do concern myself a little with the load it will be putting on the motor.  That's about it for me.   But it is not a deal breaker.  After all,  We have Beta's!  What could go wrong! 

I am curious about your oil selection with this type of cold abuse?  OEM recommended fluid would not be wise. something Like molasses in January.  I also see you have some covering

over the Radiators and motor to keep the temps up as well.   If you were able to see it, What Trail Tech temps reading are you happy reaching and riding at?  What other winterizing steps are you using?        

Fact is, I have a little research ahead to make this all happen.     I just hope I get to bring this thread alive next year with cool Snowbike pics of my own.    Nice Job!  Looks and sounds like it is the Bees Knees.

I use Rotella T6 0w40 in my 390 for the winter and I haven't had any issues starting.

Same as Ben I have my engine wrapped and have radiator covers.  I use the rad covers to regulate engine temps, if it's above 10 degrees I might pull one halfway up, above 20 might remove both, depends on conditions.  I keep an eye on the temp gauge and adjust accordingly.  I'm pretty happy to keep my temps between 170 and 200.  It can fluctuate quite a bit depending on if you're climbing through 2 feet of powder or cruising down a packed trail. 

Loads of fun, I've only used my mountain sled once in the last two years and when I was on it was wishing I had my bike instead. 

20180120_131822_zps93plfbww.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sadass said:

Git-er-dun sadass.  Learn about what you need to do to get the bike worthy, it is not that much, you already have an idea of what you need to do, so by next winter, as soon as the ground turns white, you are off for the best experience that life lets one have.  I love the snowbike, even more than riding on dirt.  

I worry NONE about the load on the motor.  If I need to have the piston and rings replaced sometime, so be it.  I sure as heck am not going to worry about NOT having fun over some $$$, not to mention I know that my 478 cc motor has more power than I need, the time spent at from 7,000-9,000 rpm does not worry me, or my BILaw one single bit.  

I had been running 5w-30 and switched to 0w-40 and will most likely keep running the 0W-40 in the winter.  There is really no big difference from the 5W and the 0W and I never had any problem or issue with the 5W and went with 0W just because the oil is the same price as the 5W.  

My temps run from 120 when constantly in the 1-3' of powder as the powder sticks to the motor and melts and encases the radiators in ice, keeping them cool, then when out on the trails or in lower snow, or following another bike, then temps can go from 160-170-180 and my max temp has been 229 and never higher as the Trail Tech is nice in that it records the max temp so never a worry about too much heat rather, running too cold.  The good thing is my bike is already plumbed with the t-stat and by keeping an eye on the oil level, it has never risen so I'm not putting fuel in the oil from running too cold.  

I learned all I know at this forum:  https://www.snowest.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178

The guys over there were awesome.  

I just got this trailer yesterday:  

Rear ramp.jpg

Trailer front.jpg

Trailer inside.jpg

Trailer rear.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was this close to putting the wheels back on the bike last week as it had been in the 40's and 50's every day.  Then we get a nor-easter and work/school is cancelled yesterday and I got to ride today.   Here comes another (good) story. 

I got my new enclosed trailer last month.  I've spent the past 2 weeks on installing all the deck protection as the carbides on both the snowbike ski and the snowmobile skis cut and gouge the decking pretty badly in very short order, even though I have 3/4" GP DryMax flooring.  I got to tow the trailer last night and it was sublime.  Electric brakes, that I had adjusted the Prodigy P3 just right so that the entire rig stops easier than when I'm in the vehicle alone.  

Got to ride with my BIL this morning, 2 1/2 hours of virgin powder 1-2', heavenly once again as the snow was perfect.  

Then the cherry on top, which was the wife and my daughter riding the snowmobile, my boy on his Mini Rev and me at the end of the line on the bike and we got to spend 2 hours at the hayfield and mountain to play in the new snow.  The loading went just as easy.  Closed both ramp doors and off I go.  No more dealing with straps, covers or having to tie everything down in the cold.  Just pretty much load and go.  

We'll go ride a bit more after breakfast and then head back home, maybe after lunch or before lunch.  We'll see.  

P1130640.JPG

P1130641.JPG

P1130618.JPG

P1130610.JPG

P1130607.JPG

P1130605.JPG

P1130639.JPG

• Like 4