Beta 350rs Daily use of 20-30km of roads

I'd like to step up from my Yami 250rr and was thinking about getting a Beta350rs. I have a daily rides to and back from work which is about 10 - 15km each and would like to know your opinions on using it for daily use and on weekends ripping it at the trails?

It will be fine. Get good DOT tires, and lower the pressure for dirt, keep it higher for street. 

If your speeds on the tarmac are under 45mph, you can actually run knobbies, like the Trackmaster 270, without issue (dry only, of course).

Yeah but what will be my service intervals? will I'll have to do top end every 150-200 hours? I'd like to get something that is equivalent to at least 4000km of road use

Road riding is nothing to these bikes.  It is the easiest thing on a motor there can be.  I plan on about 20,000 miles before i might need a top end.  

My commute is only from 10-15 miles per day and on city streets.  2,000 miles on 110 hours so far.  Bike is strong and ready for another 2,000 miles and 100 hours, no problem.  

2 hours ago, Yosi Mizrachi said:

Yeah but what will be my service intervals? will I'll have to do top end every 150-200 hours? I'd like to get something that is equivalent to at least 4000km of road use

Buy a new WR250F. Lots of people getting 150 hours out of top ends safely.

Road use = 500 hours

Off road use = 50-250 hours, depending on use

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, Ben500RR-S said:

Road riding is nothing to these bikes.  It is the easiest thing on a motor there can be.  I plan on about 20,000 miles before i might need a top end.  

My commute is only from 10-15 miles per day and on city streets.  2,000 miles on 110 hours so far.  Bike is strong and ready for another 2,000 miles and 100 hours, no problem.  

Incorrect statement. Today's modern 4t don't like the harmonics of steady throttle on the road not to mention ring wear with higher piston speeds. This harmonics plays havoc on the valve train. Motors need to be on/off often and at very different rpm range. Road use lessens dirt ingestion, suspension, bearing and brakes wear. Beta motors should go 250-350hrs easily before any major issue,,,, not counting the plastic pump gears.

Edited by weantright

I agree with above statement. These FI high performance Beta's are not like a DRZ,  CRF230l, etc. These are light weight 4 strokes intended for dirt biking and off road racing.

Yes, they are street legal,  but make no mistake they are not built for, or intended for heavy road use. The plate and street legal monicure is no different than the KTM 250,350,500 street legal bikes that are street legal by name. The idea is connecting trails or light road work getting to and from the trails.  

Most performance singles don’t like to be held open for very long. 

58 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I agree with above statement. These FI high performance Beta's are not like a DRZ,  CRF230l, etc. These are light weight 4 strokes intended for dirt biking and off road racing.

Yes, they are street legal,  but make no mistake they are not built for, or intended for heavy road use. The plate and street legal monicure is no different than the KTM 250,350,500 street legal bikes that are street legal by name. The idea is connecting trails or light road work getting to and from the trails.  

Makes no difference to FI or carb'ed, internal motor design is the same within a brand. Weight is relative and Beta's don't push the envelope.

31 minutes ago, ckny said:

Most performance singles don’t like to be held open for very long. 

Each motor is different to where the harmonics happen. Wheels, frame, rubber isolators,,,, all effect when harmonics happen.

Honda 230's have been known to grenade on the highway. Getting a 250 Japanese dual sport and wringing it out to do highway speeds is not a guarantee of longevity.  Going bigger allows taller gearing and lower revs and durability.

There are many old ways of thinking that still persist, and there has always been fear of a "dirt" engine on the "highway". Go to Advrider and you will find hundreds of stories that prove that theory incorrect. Round the world trips on little bitty engine sizes made for the dirt are not so rare over there. Unique, eyebrow raising, surprising, but not rare.

Edited by Johnny Depp
59 minutes ago, weantright said:

Makes no difference to FI or carb'ed, internal motor design is the same within a brand. Weight is relative and Beta's don't push the envelope.

The point is NOT FI and weight,  those are simply terms to define a Beta 4 stroke relative to other brands who manufactur dual sport bikes intended for heavier road use such as the DRZ,  XR650L,  DR600. I've owned an XR650L and a DRZ and the Beta is not at all similar to these types of bikes, which is the point made. It's simple, the Beta is an off road dirtbike that happens to have a plate. 

It's hard to miss that other guy when you're around.

40 minutes ago, weantright said:

It's hard to miss that other guy when you're around.

It's hard to miss YGeorge when you're around. 

How's that 4 stroke  Beta working out for you? 

Edited by firffighter

Personally I think its the wrong bike, its a high performance bike with titanium valves not a dual sport. I've had two of these and they just plain suck on the road. Get the 500 and I still think its the wrong bike. Get a DRZ400 and spend some $ on suspension valving and springs. 

MM