TheSnide

Pivot Works Linkage and Swing Arm Kits

2 posts in this topic

My son's CRF 100 needed linkage and swing arm rebuild.   I bought the Pivot Works kits that replaces the OEM plastic bushings with steel needle bearings, seals, and roller pins.   The needle bearings are super tricky to install.  The needles are in open races with no retainers, and want to just fall out.  For the linkage I used the dust caps as guides and just pressed them in.  I Still had a few needles fall out but wasn't a huge problem.   The swing arm is really hard.  The kit comes with 2 bearings to replace each plastic bushing.  I've heated the swing arm and froze the bearing but still having a hell of a time getting them pressed in. 

Question 1.  What are the tricks to getting these bearings pressed into the swingarm?   

Question 2.  Why are there 4 bearing seals instead of just 2? 

Question 3.   I think it might have been better to just buy new plastic bushings?   

We've bought, sold and parted out hundreds of small XR Hondas.
Every one we've seen has bronze type bushings in the linkage.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By GregWB
      Has anyone fitted grease nipples to the rear suspension component and swing arm to CRF250X? Compared with my old XR350R, is ain’t a step backwards not being able to grease the CRF.
    • By Supermotofool
      Now that I am rebuilding my 2001 DRZ400S due to a crash.. I want to be sure that when it happens again the bike will not be completely totaled.  I cannot find any axle sliders for it because it does not have hollow axles. The only thing I have been able to find are engine guards that mount to the frame so I will for sure be getting those. So I just have questions on how to get axle sliders mounted on my bike, and I also will probably be getting a handbrake sometime in the near future. Would I be better off just swapping to an SM swingarm? 
      I wish there was a document listing all the spec differences between the SM and S models. 
      Any help would be great.
      Best regards.
    • By RetroRanger
      I have some DRZ E parts for sale all in good used condition edit 10-2017 lowered prices
      DRZ e swingarm good shape w zerks $50 plus ship sold
      DRZ e subframe good shape $30 plus ship
      DRZ e frame w MSO from a running bike no shrapnel in oil tank $100 plus ship
      Fox tracker off road boots size 10m good shape nothing wrong w them i just dont use them $20 plus ship
      i can send more pics just ask
      I have a ton more DRZ stuff for sale send me a PM w your needs
    • By Romanian Tractor
      Click here to see my review of the Yamaha TTR230 which I uncorked to make it more usable and more fun.
      Power mods come from de-restricting intake/exhaust and re-jetting the carb with 130 main & 38 pilot.
      Gearing mods are a lightweight rear sprocket (same size as stock, 49 teeth) and a 15-tooth front sprocket (stock it has 13).
      Not only were these mods only $100 or so, but they were simple to install, made a huge difference, and the bike now sounds a lot meaner.
    • By Keebler750
      I see the 701 manual shows engine maintenance done with the engine on a stand.
      How can I take the clutch cover off without removing the right footpeg/frame bracket which will mess with the swingarm pivot??? There's nothing in the manual and I don't want to cause an issue with the swingarm if I can find a work-around. ONE cover bolt is behind the footpeg! What a pain!
      Thanks!