TWH

Less than 300 lbs, good low end torque dual sport, where RU?

4 posts in this topic

Based on my criteria what do you recommend

What would you recommend. I’m on a DR650, I always run with a 14 tooth front sprocket for the steeper knarly stuff (15 tooth is stock).  I love the low end grunt that is even lower with the 14 tooth front sprocket that’s needed for the weight of my rig.  I ride mostly in Rockies, dirt road and off road and then I might have to ride 4 hours on the asphalt to get back to my hotel.  I’m riding with 100+ lbs of gear for 2 week trips including spare parts, tools, survival stuff, clothes and riding jacket & pants and boots, and at the start of the day another 60lbs of fuel (9 gallon tank).  I weigh 190 lbs, 5’ 10”, intermediate to advanced intermediate rider but I’m more interested these days in a comfortable and reliable ride (so I can see and appreciate the beauty of nature I am riding in) and not having to concentrate 90% of the time on the trail 30 feet ahead of me. That's why I ditched the KTM 950 ADV a few years back. On the DR650, a comfortable highway speed with 14 tooth front is 65 mph indicated on speedo.  I’ve heard the speedo reports high so maybe I’m only doing 60 mph?  I’m perfectly happy with that speed and with this bike for the way I am using it.  

But, I plan in the near future to downsize and travel indefinitely with an RV.  My First and most critical criteria that cannot be exceeded is: my new bike must weigh less than 300 lbs and preferably 250 lbs.  I won’t be doing the 4 hour slab rides anymore but I would like a bike that can do 60-65 mph for 30 to 45 minutes without it straining or sounding like it’s about to blow up and at the same time have a nice low tractor 1st gear that is stock or attainable with front sprocket setup.  I don’t want a two stroke and I prefer the low end grunt of the 650’s but realize I won’t be able to duplicate that it in the 250cc or less motor size. (the 30 – 45 minute highway speed rides will be 100% road work so I am willing for those few occasions to change out the front sprocket for +1 or +2 teeth to get that top end speed and then change back and operate the bike the rest of the time in the lower trail gearing.  The trail/off road riding will be with very little extra gear (15 – 30 lbs) in a backpack or in soft panniers.  I don’t want a high maintenance bike but without the highway miles I won’t be putting nearly as many hours on the motor so a more frequent maintenance schedule, valves and oil, might correspond to my current Time (not miles) interval I am already accustomed to.

I prefer the simplicity of air-cooled and carburetor but I’m OK going with water cooled and FI.  Reliability is important .  Willing to spend to get just the right package but I don’t think it’s currently available “off the shelf”.  The WR250R is probably the closest to it “off the shelf” but I don’t like spending a lot of time in higher revs to have instant power when I need it.  The torque curve on that motor has a huge drop off in the critical low rpms needed for technical crawling or just put-putting on easy terrain without worrying about a sudden stall (will a big bore kit fix this or just make a minor improvement?) .   I’ve never ridden a WR250R or any other bike less than 250cc since I first started riding in dirt on "enduro bikes" (heavy and low power) in the 1970’s.  The other “off-the-shelf” bike that fits with some power compromises is the Beta 125rrs but I don’t know if it will have enough grunt for some (maybe 10 - 25%) of the riding I would like to do.  What else is out there at 250 lbs to fill the bill?  The rest of the Beta street legal line up (350 to 500) looks pretty good and fits the weight and power requirements but they are about $10K as opposed to the $5K for the 125rrs and they are at a performance level that far exceeds the style of riding I will be doing. Will these motors ride nice at constant throttle or do they want to always be accelerating...jumpy throttle, twitchy handling etc... Would riding these bikes way below the performance level they were made for by doing lot’s of lugging actually hurt these motors or shorten their life?  I’m willing to pay the $10K but I’d prefer not to, especially if my riding style will hurt the high performance motors.  The 390, due to bore & stroke sounds like it has the best low end torque of the group.  Are there any good stock (non-street legal) bikes you can think of that can be made street legal with a kit that fit the weight, low end torque, reasonable price, easy maintenance and reliability criteria?  Sorry for the long question but I think it’s needed so my requirements and preferences of how I’ll use it are understood.  Thanks for reading the whole thing.  I'm interested in your experience and input.

Here's my 2016, I'm 5'11" & 170 lbs. Pulls me around like I'm not even on it lol.20180110_200801.jpg