Sign in to follow this  

Chest protector or roost deflector?

Unless the "roost deflector" come with shoulder protection, go with the chest protector. Your shoulders will love you for it later.! 🙂

chest protector! been down alot never broken colar bone.screwed up a few other things though.

chest protector! been down alot never broken colar bone.screwed up a few other things though.

I have a ridiing buddy that has broke his collar bone twice and both times he had a chest protector on. 🙂

3 reasons for the chest protector:

-shoulder protection

-better chest protection from handlebars/clamps

-don't even notice it when I'm wearing it

Why not???

A chest protector won't prevent broken collarbones 100% but it will help.

Like the other guy said, when you're riding, it's hard to notice you're wearing them so why not?

Dress for the crash not the style.

ive seperated my shoulder twice, both times i had on my chest protector. BUT it has protected me many times from rocks and trees and other various objects. worth every penny. the roost deflector on the other hand, i gave that one to my friend who rides a 125. he rides a 125 and has proven its worthlessness when riding behind me and my 450. haha!

use niether. way more comfortable. and they dont help you in a crash. false sence of security. i also rode 4 stroke nationals without any thing on. its not so bad..

I have both a roost protector and a chest protector. I wear the roost protector 99% of the time. I like how light and small it is. I know it doesnt protect as well as the chest protector, but I justify it because it is so NOT cumbersome. TA 🙂

I thought all were roost guards now...due to a liability thing. When I got back into racing last year I went to a few shops checking out gear and each time a I asked for a chest protector I got the comment "oh you mean roost guard". I wear the Fox Ariframe and it has saved me numerous times from roost as well as crashes. I would not want to take my scott's damper to the chest...I would also not want to land on my back in a rock garden without it.

I had a chest protector on when I broke three ribs and bruised my kidneys and liver. I think if I didn't have it on I would have been in a lot worse shape.

use niether. way more comfortable. and they dont help you in a crash. false sence of security. i also rode 4 stroke nationals without any thing on. its not so bad..

Dumbest statement I've heard in quite a while.

My friend had her ribs broken when someone plowed into her on the bomb run at a national dez race.

The next week she asked Acerbis for their roost deflector with the rib/kidney protectors. I'm not sure how beneficial that is, but from her standpoint/piece of mind, it's worth it.

At dirt diggers 2 weeks ago a guy in our club went over on the bomb run, as he was getting up, he looked up and out of the dust came a guy and center punched him in the chest with his front tire ...if he didnt have a chest protector on he prob would have been dead from collapsed lungs and internal trauma but he managed to get away with 16 broken ribs...he actually rode back to camp. I cant picture being on my knees and taking a dirt bike at speed to the chest but to get away from somethign like that with only broken ribs...that is proof in itself.

GO to the district 37 board to read his story....

August 1978, 1st turn melee, footpeg to back, 30 stitches huge scar. Bought best torso protector from Sinsalo. September 2003, mid air collision, land on back on ruts. Punchered lung, 9 broken ribs, broken collar bone. Now using Skeletools torso tool and Thor aftershock. My point is this, the tools to protect yourself are out there. They instill confidence and help keep you riding. USE THEM!!! Skeletool is a excellent piece. GO FAST RIDE SMART

I had a chest protector on when I broke three ribs and bruised my kidneys and liver. I think if I didn't have it on I would have been in a lot worse shape.

Good point...

I have a fox roost deflector for sale. I finally got smart and got an EVS chest protector?

Acerbis Zoom II Plus (for us big guy's) the thing comes down to the belt line front and rear, has tricept, kidney and shoulder protectors. I look like a linebacker!! But hardly notice it and I feel its the best protection I can run.

Does the skeletool have any solid plates that will better help against tree limb punctures or are they like most of the other under jersey chest protectors?

NO, has removable pads that cover 80%? of torso. Check out their website. Light and comfortable. Spine and shoulder protection. Torso tool under jersey, Thor Aftershock over jersey. Aftershock has LARGE panels.