Hitch Carrier: under frame vs. under the wheels?

I'm looking for a hitch mount carrier for when it's just me to avoid pulling the trailer and to shorten drive times. We have two different cars with hitches, a Honda Element and an Audi Q7, both with 2" class III hitches. The bike in question is a YZ250X (wet weight 229 lb). I have done some research and would appreciate insights anyone can offer.

The first fork in the decision tree seems to be whether to go with the type that holds the frame, like the Ultimate MX Hauler, or one that supports the wheels, for which I've found a few different models that seem to get pretty decent reviews. I am looking for something I can have high confidence in.

Any input on one type versus the other, on any of the models below, or any suggestions for a different model, would be very much appreciated!

Under frame...

Ultimate MX Hauler ($430)

Under wheels...

from eTrailer: smooth Rage Powersport ($448) or ladder Rage Powersport ($224)

Rack N Roll ($450)

VersaHaul

Others?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to go with the under the wheels option because I wanted access to the back of my vehicle without having to pull the carrier out of the hitch receiver.  But I did buy the ultimate mx hauler's anti wobble device... and am using it in another manufacturers carrier.  It is easily the best anti-wobble device I've tried.  

• 2 weeks later...
I've owned both. For a bike as light as your YZ, you can get the aluminum carrier from Discount Ramps and save a ton. I own one of these and it works great for my light bikes. 

I took this advice, and made two modifications:

1. I added trailer lights. I saw another post mentioning how the bike blocks view of the cars’ lights, so this seemed like a good $20 idea.

2. It could be overkill, but I ran a bar from the roof rack to the handlebars to hold the bike vertical. I simply bent an unused vertical pole from one of those industrial kitchen rack type shelves, added some hardware to connect it, and strap it around the bars and under the frame behind the front fender. It helps while unstrapping, and should any of the straps fail, it is backup. I like how it keeps the bike from moving forward or aft at all.

Maiden voyage today went without, pardon the pun, a hitch. I may try adding coil spring helpers if not too difficult to install. I get 1” of rear sag on the Element with the bike on and wouldn’t mind recovering some of that.

IMG_8617.thumb.JPG.e41c3d72340bdf3b7eb964719e641b87.JPG

IMG_8618.thumb.JPG.e8c3d8e0896b60f09a56b724b642f7c4.JPG

• Like 1