the 06+ yz250 of MTB? Does it exist

I really want to get back into mountain biking. I live in san luis obispo ca and there are world class trails all over the place. I want to get in on the action!

I used to MTB back in the day and ive been out of the loop for at least15 years. my next door neighbors kid is the manager of a local bike shop, BUT everything he recomends to me is crazy expensive. 

the NEW bike that i am interested in is the santa cruz Nomad. apparently its 80% downhill bike but can still do pretty well on the trails. 

Im looking for something in the used market like the 06+ yz250. a great bike that has been good for a while, good value etc. 

Does such a bike exist? I like to go fast downhill, im more than willing to climb slower in order to have more fun on the descent and hitting jumps. id go full downhill but there is so much trail riding here i want something i can pedal all day too......

budget is under 2k IDEALLY 1500 if possible

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

the 06+ yz250 is considered one of the longest running "great" bikes made. I'm looking for its equivalent in a mountain bike. since this is a dirtbike forum I figured the comparison would be clever, as usual looks like im wrong.

In other words. What is an excellent mountain bike of the current era that does the things i mentioned in my original post well for the mentioned price range.

• Like 3

Ohhh. I get you know. Lol. If youre looking for bikes i would head over to Sethsbikehacks youtube channel and he has some mtb videos about bikes and reviews, etc. the only mtb stuff i know is from him really plus he is entertaining.

36 minutes ago, Dirtymutt9 said:

I really want to get back into mountain biking. I live in san luis obispo ca and there are world class trails all over the place. I want to get in on the action!

I used to MTB back in the day and ive been out of the loop for at least15 years. my next door neighbors kid is the manager of a local bike shop, BUT everything he recomends to me is crazy expensive. 

the NEW bike that i am interested in is the santa cruz Nomad. apparently its 80% downhill bike but can still do pretty well on the trails. 

Im looking for something in the used market like the 06+ yz250. a great bike that has been good for a while, good value etc. 

Does such a bike exist? I like to go fast downhill, im more than willing to climb slower in order to have more fun on the descent and hitting jumps. id go full downhill but there is so much trail riding here i want something i can pedal all day too......

budget is under 2k IDEALLY 1500 if possible

Thanks guys!

Frankly at that price point, you’re looking at used bikes of dubious quality if you’re set on full suspension. 3500 is much more realistic. IMO there really isn’t a used bike equivalent like you’re asking for  the YZ has had minimal changes for what, 10+ years now?  Bicycles are still evolving much faster than moto  

In the 1500 range, I’d be looking at an all mountain hard tail, like a Santa Cruz chameleon, or a Kona honzo.

FWIW, one brand to look at is Norco. They use the Horst link like specialized, but have been substantially lower priced in the past. An alu sight or range with lower end spec might work for you. 

Edited by ACree

I picked up this used Nomad for $1100 last year. ...It pedals/climbs really well and is a good handling bike on the downhills....I raced expert downhill for years and I'm used to longer travel suspension...so I kinda wish it had more than 6" travel but with some work you can get the suspension working pretty well. It's a solid bike.

200.png

• Like 1

Check out pinkbike.com's used buy/sell section. Lots of good bikes there.

I agree though that the 2000-3000 range will get you a much better condition bike. 

There isn't really any magic bullet bike but the Santa Cruz bikes from 2010ish can be had for cheap and are GREAT.

The MTB industry underwent several wheel size changes in the past 5 years, and axle changes, so there are a ton of great bikes that are de-valued. I've been in the bike world for the past 10 years, happy to help.

• Like 1

There are so many choices in just wheel sizes including: 27.5 vs 29, plus size (wide), fatty (wider), suspension: hard tail, xc, trail, all mountain, etc so there is nothing equivalent to a do it all bike for everyone. I suggest you check out a few local shops and find out what they sell the most of and prepare to spend some money. As was mentioned earlier anything decent is going to $3000 +. 

An update to this thread-

I went to the local bike shop that the neighbor kid manages, he rented me a santa cruz nomad cc build, 9k bike. its insane. He showed me some trails and I rode my butt off.

BUT there was something seriously missing from the experience. the trails were really technical and fast, would have been legendary on my moto but on the 9k bike...... it just didnt really thrill me like i had hoped it would. the workout was wonderful and i did have a good time, but im realizing there is absolutely no way i would spend 9 k on a MTB. There is also no way i had enough fun to justify a 3k bike. Im thinking 2000 TOPS would be worth repeating the experience.

Have any of you experienced this? or am i just being ridiculous? 

• Like 1

After around the $4000 price, the bikes get lighter, more expensive components but not necessarily better. You can't buy speed, only time on the bike will do that.

I suggest that you ride more bikes, regardless of their price until you find "the one". When that happens, you will know it and be happy with your purchase.

Looks like you have already made up your mind on a FS bike, so that narrows it down quite a bit.

7 hours ago, Dirtymutt9 said:

An update to this thread-

I went to the local bike shop that the neighbor kid manages, he rented me a santa cruz nomad cc build, 9k bike. its insane. He showed me some trails and I rode my butt off.

BUT there was something seriously missing from the experience. the trails were really technical and fast, would have been legendary on my moto but on the 9k bike...... it just didnt really thrill me like i had hoped it would. the workout was wonderful and i did have a good time, but im realizing there is absolutely no way i would spend 9 k on a MTB. There is also no way i had enough fun to justify a 3k bike. Im thinking 2000 TOPS would be worth repeating the experience.

Have any of you experienced this? or am i just being ridiculous? 

Very few people pay 9k for a bike. They either wait until it's on close out, get it given to them or work for a shop and pay 4k. 

At 2k you're looking used. If you intend to keep it for a while, look at 26" wheels. It's 2 wheelsizes behind, but a bike that was 9k with 26" wheels 4 years ago is now 2k.

Try as many bikes as you can. Since the rider is a much bigger part of the system than a moto, the bike has to fit your riding style. If you can, try the same trail, you weren't thrilled on the nomad, try a 5010 (do they still make that?). Or try another brand, there's about 10 or so I'd trust with 3 or 4 models from each. 

I know you say you want a dh bike, but try shorter travel. Bikes are so capable anymore, just get the one that's the most fun. Don't rush, and ignore the price on new bikes. If you spend 2k new, it would be like spending 2k on a new yamaha and you're stuck with a ttr80 wondering why you're not having fun. 

• Like 1

Super gucci bikes don't end up being any better. They just have carbon rims, etc. 4000-6000 are the best bikes to their pricing. Above 6 doesn't typically get any better.

I have the new Transition Smuggler, it's a short travel 29er that jumps awesome, is slack enough for almost any trail short of a proper DH trail, and pedals well. It was 4000 new. 

If you want to spend 2000 just get a good hardtail. Any fully is going to be a clap wagon used or a piece of shit new

Edited by kgmkgm

Awesome advice guys. I'm going to trade this bike in and get a 29er hardtail and go ride the same stuff either today or tomorrow. Figured I'd try the extremes and work my way to the middle 

16 minutes ago, Dirtymutt9 said:

Awesome advice guys. I'm going to trade this bike in and get a 29er hardtail and go ride the same stuff either today or tomorrow. Figured I'd try the extremes and work my way to the middle 

I think that you can't go wrong with a 27.5x3 carbon hardtail. I have the Framed Marquette with a 1x driveline and it is an awesome "do-it-all" bike, perfect for the northeast type of rocky trails and climbs

Framed Marquette.png

UPDATE #2-

Took the Nomad out today again, rode the same area. BUT, this time i spent a bunch of time setting up the bike. loosened up the settings on the forks and shock, set sag etc. 

Had WAY more fun! I dont know if it was because the bike was working better or i was a little more comfortable on the trails but i had a blast.

So, 3500 is the budget. still trading the nomad in for a 29er hardtail on monday or tuesday. Ill update with my revelations