my new to me KLX

I was really looking into a new 2T  and then I ran into this, I took it for a quick spin and thought wow that's was fun:thumbsup: so it came home with me.

I don't think its been rode a few hundred miles, I am going to do the 3x3 mod, JD carb kit, and the MDR exhaust. Which MDR exhaust do most guys go with the standard or the shorty?  The steering is really weird, its tight and chunky feeling:lol: I think I better take it apart and check the bearings and re-grease it. The bike starts right up and sounds very solid.

20180111_171928.jpg

20180111_172012.jpg

MRD/z-pro
Steering head bearings are A dry B gunked up with hard grease C: rusted, D: all of the above.
Order some tapered bearings from Alls Balls 

Just to clarify a few things.

3x3 and JD kit are for the street legal bikes with the BSR carburetor. Your bike is the dirt only version with an FCR. All you need to do is pop the snokle out and change the needle and main jet. No need spending $80 when you only need to spend $15. 160 main and EMN needle from jets r us .com

Besides the standard and shorty, MRD has 2 different pipes for the bike. There is the standard with the 2" core and the ZPro, formally SSW, with the 2 1/4 core and stepped header. The Z Pro is what you want if you have any plans of ever increasing displacement.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Just to clarify a few things.

3x3 and JD kit are for the street legal bikes with the BSR carburetor. Your bike is the dirt only version with an FCR. All you need to do is pop the snokle out and change the needle and main jet. No need spending $80 when you only need to spend $15. 160 main and EMN needle from jets r us .com

Besides the standard and shorty, MRD has 2 different pipes for the bike. There is the standard with the 2" core and the ZPro, formally SSW, with the 2 1/4 core and stepped header. The Z Pro is what you want if you have any plans of ever increasing displacement.

Well to further expand on your clarification....lol
When you remove the air snorkel on a DRZ E, Kicker or the KLX R, it makes a hole approximately 3x3...and so the mod wither cutting the S/Sm air box or removing the rubber snorkel is really the exact same idea and mod..making the air box opening 3" x 3" for better air flow.

And you have a point you can get a single jet and single needle for less then the JD kit, of course your getting much less than the JD kit as well, so it makes sense it would cost less. If you want more adjust ability then a single needle and single jet will get you, perhaps the JD kit is a better value?

For your $80 you get the range of jets, two needles, and jetting knowledge that will not come in the package from Jets R Us..but ya other than that the two things are completely the same....lol

Aren't All Balls really shit generic Chinese bearings?

36 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Aren't All Balls really shit generic Chinese bearings?

If you say so, all I know is they work really well for steering stem bearings for the last 15 years or so, Times a few hundred street and off road installs Ive done..and a few hundred thousand satisfied users you can read about on the Internet..the number one place people go to complain about things that dont work...
So 3 questions for you that would help us understand your position. 

Please show us the All balls steering stem tapered bearing failures you have had personally to form your opinion. 
Link us to the copious complaints of All Balls steering stem tapered bearing users you have found to form your personal opinion. 
Provide the OP a the part  number and source for the tapered bearing and seals you recommend.

Thanks 

I bought my 03 DRZ E in similar, hardly used condition. I rode it bone stock for a few years before I did the airbox, jetting and exhaust mods, I just couldn't bring myself to tearing into such a new bike. Sure, it runs much better with the mods, but I'm glad I waited till the bike showed some wear before changing stuff... your KLX looks sweet

Thanks for the information everyone,  I did pull the snorkel cover off, I did not notice at first that it lifts right off and it also makes putting the air filter on easier:thumbsup: I did  get the carb parts ordered, now I have to decide on the exhaust, the MRD Z-PRO can come with the shorty 12" or the standard canister and they do offer a quite insert and a spark arrestor any more advise on that would be great.   I don't normally mess with big bore kits and to many add-ons but thought I would clean the carb and while I'm in there might as well do the jet upgrade and  the Exhaust as it will help it breath better.  I am very glad to see this DRZ-KLX forum is still doing GREAT, seems like there is still lots of interest for the bikes.

14 minutes ago, rocky4by said:

I am very glad to see this DRZ-KLX forum is still doing GREAT, seems like there is still lots of interest for the bikes.

That's cause you can still buy 'em new! And since they been around a while - lots o parts! :thumbsup:  Welcome o green brother. 

Yes! Another green bike! There's not many of us around. I got a used MRD SSW (Z-Pro) last summer. It's the standard length and is hella loud. It's also way shorter than the stock pipe so it looks good. The shorty is 2" shorter I believe and will end right after the side plastic panel I think. So if sound isn't a factor then it's all about what look you prefer, I honestly think the shorty would look better. But it will also be a bit louder, which wouldn't be an issue for me, but maybe you're different. Also remember you can get a quiet insert. Have fun modding! I've greatly enjoyed making my bike unique and more suited for my type of riding.

I simply drilled out the tailpipe on mine with a 1 3/8" hole saw, comes out very clean and, although a bit louder (but not bad), gives a lot more grunt to the motor, and is much cheaper to do. There is quite a big weight difference though with the MRD

Keep your turn signals away from the MRD, unless you like the Salvadore Dali look.

Nice KLX....but......I want to see more of the buggy in the background of the first pic!!!!!

Me too!!!!!!!!

Yes the buggy in the back ground is our class 10 desert race car, we went down and raced the Baja 1000 this past November. It was a very long race at this years 50th Baja 1000, like 1130 miles :thumbsup::goofy:   Here are a couple photos, one on the course and one at the finish.

20171117_230144.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

GPS antenna?

The antenna, is for our race car, to the chase truck or to any of the pit services like BFG or Baja Pits or Weather-Man who drives-climbs to the best location to help us all stay in touch the best he can. Contact on the Baja  peninsula  even with todays Tech is still very difficult.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:28 PM, rocky4by said:

Yes the buggy in the back ground is our class 10 desert race car, we went down and raced the Baja 1000 this past November. It was a very long race at this years 50th Baja 1000, like 1130 miles :thumbsup::goofy:   Here are a couple photos, one on the course and one at the finish.

20171117_230144.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

A friend of mine was running 1066 as their Buggy number..but I was not positive on number,,,, also from OR, and might have a user name like say Rocky4by if her were a list joiner...I had to go look at photos from some of his Baja1000 race pics 11, 12 and best of the Desert to check and remind myself of his number and  what the buggy looked like/ sponsors were.

To finish first, you must first finish.- RICK MEARS
Your pic at the finish line says you got that part right..not easy at Baja